“Disappointing”

Bunchrew House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This was a total disappointment. We stayed there for one night. One of our worst stay ever and we do travel a lot. The hotel reviews I consulted in different sites prior to our stay did not at all match the experience we had in this hotel. While The hotel location is good, the hotel is in bad need of renovation. When we first got to the room (third floor with no elevator) we found the room filled with flies, never seen so many flies in a hotel room. The staff argued that this was because they left the window open. I had to chase the flies and ask for a spray before we go to bed! The room in general looked very old and the furniture very tired. The bedding was horrible, both mattress and pillows were extremely uncomfortable. We couldn't sleep! At around 1:30 am, I went downstairs to try to talk to someone to see if we can change the room, no one was available and the main door was locked. The bathroom was very old and not clean with hair in the bath. Needless to say that we decided not to use it as the whole bathroom looked dirty. In the morning, I complained to the manager about the bedding and the room in general, to my surprise he argued that this was because we booked the last room available and it was a standard room and not one of their premium rooms!. I am not sure how does this excuse the horrible night we spent and how it justifies the price we still had to pay for the room. The Hotel manager's attitude was not friendly and even arrogant, not at all customer oriented. For breakfast, we wanted to be seated on a table next to the window and we asked if they could clean the table for us as it was just used by other guests who left. They asked us to wait for few minutes until they clean the table, we waited for 10 minutes with no one calling for us. I went back and inquired when the table would be ready, they finally called us back and to my surprise the table was dirty, they just placed new cups on the dirty table. We just left the restaurant with no breakfast, packed and left the Hotel as soon as we could. Terrible experience, among our worst hotel stays ever.

7  Thank Adel C

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Bunchrew House Hotel was our splurge for the trip. I wanted to stay in one place in Scotland that looked like a castle, and Bunchrew House certainly fit the bill! With coats of arms on the walls from 1621, and trees on the property planted in 1745, Bunchrew has the history and charm of an old Scottish estate, but the comforts and convenience of a modern day hotel. The outdoor areas are charming, with nice gardens in the front, and a beachfront seat in the back on a stone wall along the Beauly Firth. On a clear day, you can see straight across to the beautiful sights on the Black Isle, and on a clear evening you can see the lights twinkling across the water.

Our room was absolutely beautiful, complete with a small study, a vanity, and teabags, a tea pot, sugar, and milk to make our own afternoon tea. We chose the Craigton Suite, which was a ground floor room that looked right out on the water. The bathroom was huge, with a beautiful bath and separate shower. As my fiance uses a wheelchair, it was important it was fully accessible, which the bathroom absolutely was, with a completely roll-in shower and plenty of room to move around. The only suggested improvement for handicapped accessibility would be a lower mirror for those in wheelchairs to use, and a removable shower attachment that someone in a wheelchair could reach.

We had breakfast twice at the hotel and dinner one evening. The service was fantastic, the food delicious and interesting, and the sitting room and dining rooms had so much character (and maybe even a ghost?). It was certainly an expensive splurge for a few nights, but well worth it! After dinner each night, we retired to the bar, which was equally charming and cozy. The only suggestion would be to hire a bartender that has some knowledge about whiskey, as my fiance had lots of questions after his Whiskey Trail tours!

Thank you Bunchrew House for a wonderful stay!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We had our wedding reception here following our wedding in Mauritius. The accommodation and staff are nothing short of fantastic, nothing is too much trouble. The grounds are quite stunning and coming from the area it was always the place I wanted to celebrate my marriage. My only slight niggle was that when serving the wedding breakfast, I the bride, was told that they had run out of the desert I ordered. Surely ask someone else to swap?! Anyway our wedding was spectacular and the celebration here topped it off. Great place and stunning views.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel due to reviews on the hotel website, trip advisor and the fact it had an award winning chef!! We probably like most wanted the historical venue with scenic surrounding views. With all this ticked we booked. We paid for the wedding ourselves and worked really hard with the planning and the worked harder to meet the costs of the venue. Anne and Deborah it should be noted were fantastic throughout the planning and this gave us confidence. The day itself did not go to plan... Sadly. First the wrong music was played on our exit from the ceremony, we were announced as Mr & Mrs as we entered the dining room for our wedding breakfast, which as a female couple was offensive and disappointing. The MC announced the first speech and caused more embarrassment by leaving us as brides to announce the rest. As we sat for our meal... The starter being soup... The waiter (apparently their most experienced) poured hot soup all down the back of my wedding dress, bolero and this splashed all over my partners dress too. This caused me to gasp as the hot soup soaked into my skin and all through the corset back of my wedding dress. Embarrassed and sore I tried really hard not to cry or become angry. Deborah and a bridesmaid helped me to clean off as much of the soup as possible. But I had to spend the rest of my wedding day in a soup stained wedding dress. This was so heartbreaking as this was our day and my time to wear my beautiful princess dress. My handmade bolero ruined!! No sign of the manager at this time, later on or the next day. The evening buffet was served.... Two guests approached me as the bread on the sandwiches had mould all over them...another embarrassment and disappointment. We did write a letter of complaint and were in correspondence with the hotel, they did pay for the cleaning of one wedding dress but refuse to communicate regarding all other issues. We have been left feeling really saddened by their lack of professionalism and accepting of responsibility when they do not get it right. So please beware... Bunchrew is all good until they get something wrong. As for the current manager David Scobie.... Absolute joke!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
8  Thank 217rachel
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We recently had our wedding at Bunchrew House Hotel, the day was incredible. Each member of staff accommodated all our 92 guests and made every single person feel special. The hotel and grounds are extremely clean, you get amazing value for money here. The views are spectacular - allowing all of my guests (not to mention photographer) get some truly unique, amazing photographs. The food is incredible, the majority of our guests ordered fillet of beef and each one of them was cooked to perfection (I made sure to ask all!). Each of the bedrooms were booked by family and all were more than happy with their rooms.
I can't thank Bunchrew enough for all of their assistance and dedication from the minute we booked the venue right up to now. I loved it and the staff so much that I have already booked our next weekened with them! Thanks to you all for an amazing experience, not just by my husband and I, but for each of our guests!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Vicky C
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This grand home is perfect as a boutique hotel. The view of the bay, the dining room, and the comfortable rooms made our stay delightful. The staff go out of their way to make sure all needs are addressed. We were especially thankful for the laundry services!

Room Tip: We had the McKay room, which had a great view of the bay.
1  Thank SurreyGirl56
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Would like to pay tribute to the Castle and all the employees who planned and executed this fantastic day for my daughter, we met them in January this year went through all the usual things that need to be discussed and a month before the wedding we had a small problem that was highlighted and when this was realised by the Manager (David) he had no hesitation in sorting this out with the compliments of the Hotel!!! In my experience you would of had apologies and not action and definitely the Hotel would not of incurred costs. That makes the difference. Going on from that I thought the food fantastic, the service fantastic and all the serving staff were so friendly and helpful and another mention would be for Deborah who was our first point of contact and she joined all the dots. Thank you very much Bunchrew, I know the couple had the best day, but that would not of happened if you were no good at your jobs.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family