“Beautiful Manor House on the Moray Firth”

Bunchrew House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Rutland, Vermont
“Beautiful Manor House on the Moray Firth”
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful old manor house with 16 rooms on a large secluded property at the water's edge of the Moray Firth. The room was spacious and elegant. The dining was first class. The service was friendly and professional. I would definitely go back.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Baxter H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cumbria
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Bun crew house is in a stunning location right on the waters edge, the building is full of character and charm. However we feel that it is overpriced for what is provided. Our bedroom was very tierd needed refurbished all the furniture scratched and chipped, the bedside lamps were broken just holding on , there was three lamps in the room and not one light bulb matched, the lamp shades were full of hairs stuck to them, the bed has to be the most uncomfortable my husband and I have ever endured of 37years together travelling all ver the world. There were limited toiletries in the bathroom and black mould on the bathroom tiles, I feel for £160.00 per night it should warrent a little more attention to detail. Overall the room was not confertable at all. I ran a 4 star gold award bed and breakfast for 14years so I know what it is all about. The breakfast is not good at all, what we were appalled about was that there was £5.00 supplement if you wanted Smoked Salmon and Scrambled Eggs or Eggs Benadict. It is a total rip off as guest are paying from £160.00, £200.00 and £240.00 per room there should be no supplements at all, everything is portion controlled right down to the orange juice you get one glass of what you want brought to the table, no fresh fruit on offer at all. However we did have dinner in the restaurant one night ad the food was fantastic we eat at michalin star restaurants all the time and I would put the food right up there with them, again another supplement of £5.00 for steak on a set priced menu of £42.50 per person. I have to say the staff were all very nice and friendly very professional. We are a little disappointed as my husband had booked this with a lot of love and thought for my special birthday.

3 Thank Olly R
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is lovely, situated perfectly on the Beauly Firth on a private road through private grounds. This much is indisputable. My wife and I went there for our anniversary and had a lovely stay.

However when we arrived the receptionist was unclear what items on the menu were vegetarian. We had given them several days notice so that they could think about what to offer us. They had not thought about us at all. In the morning there was no vegetarian cooked breakfast. Although they offered to replace the bacon, sausage and black pudding with a portion of beans (wow, thanks) they didn't even bother to do that and served up four mushrooms, half a tomato, a runny poached egg (I'd asked for a hard poached egg) and a potato scone. It was a miserable excuse for a cooked breakfast. I suspect omnivores are considerably better catered for but we felt ignored and angry.

For £480 for two nights you'd think they'd have an idea how to cater for vegetarians! I'd visit again but only if I had a written commitment that they would offer me something compatible with our vegetarian life choice.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChrisRoscoe
Haines City
Reviewed 25 August 2014

the room was very nice and comfortable. The food was okay not so good a little over the top. The staff and the grounds were so beautiful. You could feel all the Scottish charm. The wait staff was the best I have ever seen or came in contact with in my travels.

Cirimido, Lombardia, Italy
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Right on the sea, an old mansion dated 17th century quite well kept on the exterior. Needs a bit of update inside. Rooms clean.
We ate once in the restaurant, but must say it was not to our taste. The Windows ratle, when their is wind, and there is Always WIND. The staff (a part from one person in the restaurant) was very kind and willing to help. The location is fantastic with a very well kept garden. Gorgeous old trees ornate the main entrance garden. I would try it again maybe in the future, but right now I dont feel I can recommend it. It is about 3 miles from Inverness center city.

Room Tip: We had a room called Coulmore (rooms all have a name). It was on the last floor of the house.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank IMLeonTerzi
Scotland
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Stayed for a weekend in Forbes room. Must be the poorest room in the hotel. Dreary and in need of a make-over. Fan from kitchen below is noisy at meal times and the windows rattle at night. The location, the staff and the food are good.

2 Thank Dollar22
Henderson, Nv.
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Bunchrew House is an updated 17th century mansion set on Beauly Firth and surrounded by acres of gardens and forest all within 3 miles if Inverness. The exterior says "solid", "castle like" and the interior says "comfort" and "station". All the rooms are individually named and beautifully appointed. We had a two night stay in the "Beauly" room. Everything here is well done and you are catered to as a valued guest. The restaurant (and some of the other rooms) could be described as "Opulent". The food and service were excellent. Non guests come here for the restaurant, so reservations are necessary and should be made well in advance.
If you are anywhere near Inverness, and enjoy good food and fine surroundings, you must not miss Bunchrew House.