“The fairytale wedding - simply perfect”

and 1 more site!
Bunchrew House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Skelmorlie
“The fairytale wedding - simply perfect”
Reviewed 27 October 2009

We booked out Bunchrew for 2 nights for our wedding in October 2009. We had high expectations, a 2-night wedding is never going to be cheap. Our expectations were utterly surpassed - and then some!

The welcome was warm (a big hug from Anne with whom I'd made all the arrangements!). The staff were organised and very well prepared. They seemed to know who was staying in which room without consulting a list!

The day went without a hitch, and the nice thing was that all our guests commented on what a good choice we made with the venue.

Also, Anne and Jill (the coordinator and manager respectively) made such a huge effort to make sure we (the bride and groom) were prepared, calm, knew what we were doing, and what was going to happen. It was just superbly organised and we can't thank Anne and Jill, and ALL the other staff, well enough. There was a chap (can't remember his name - sorry!) who was organising the meals and acting as MC for the speeches, and he was calm, discrete and very friendly.

Everything was budgeted in advance with Anne, who understood everything first time, prepared a discussion document and e-mailed it back to me. Pretty much the whole thing was organised by e-mail discussion (Registrars take note - it's not difficult!). The budget was kept to (except me extending the free bar!) and there were no gotchas or hidden extras. Anne was just fantastic from start to finish.

Oh, and I nearly forgot to mention the food - it was quite simply the most amazing wedding meal I've ever had! It wasn't extortionate by any stretch of the imagination. So many of our guests commented on the quality of the steak and the beautiful dessert.

If you're planning a wedding there, having exlusivity for 2 nights is thoroughly recommended - "it just feels like a big house party" one of our relatives said. And you really do feel like it's just a big party with all your close friends and family. I just wish I could do it justice in words.

But I have to mention the bad points - oh no wait I can't think of any. I can't imagine why anyone would think it could use some modernisation - it was beautiful, full of character and very well presented. It's a highland stately home - it's not meant to be chic!

And to the American gentleman who thought he had polyester sheets... are you sure it wasn't your pyjamas?

• Stayed October 2009
3 Thank LozAndGeorgina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 October 2009

My best friend and I took a trip of a lifetime to Scotland in June 2009. From the time we pulled in the winding drive it was an amazing place. The hotel was tucked just outside of Inverness right on the Loch, very quiet, excellent service, and delicious food. Although it was the most expensive B&B we stayed at during the week, it was definitely worth it. If and when I return to Scotland I will absolutely be booking another stay at Bunchrew House.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Travelin_Gal2009
Newcastle
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We had our wedding reception in the Bunchrew and i can honestly say that my expectations were very high and they surrpassed them in everyway. I have stayed in a lot of different hotels and never come across such friendly and supportive staff. They went well beyond the expected.

I could write about how fantastic every detail was, but to be honest i am just going to say that you have to go there and enjoy it yourself. It is trully magical from the moment you go down the drive and it just getts better.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BMCNewcastle
Portland, OR
Reviewed 8 July 2009

I much prefer writing positive reviews than negative, but I'm having a hard time with this one. Bunchrew House is an Old Country Inn. It has been nicely cared for, and our room overlooking the Firth of Beauly was OK. The comforter, I swear was polyesther, as were the sheets. The mattress was uncomfortable. The dinner service was very ordinary, and not memorable, so that's hard to comment on. We felt after two days, that we didn't want to spend a third, so informed them we had done everything we needed to do in Inverness, and were moving on. I was informed by the manager they were going to bill me for the third night, even though I wasn't staying there. She did say if they managed to rent the room, she would give me a credit. I have only had this happen to me one other time in our travels, and was shocked they would do this. I tend to be non-confrontational, so didn't raise a fuss until I got here to TripAdvisor. I am advising you, it's not worth the money.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank grapdad
edinburgh
Reviewed 7 July 2009

We went in FebruaRy and got a great deal. The food was really memorable and the service was very attentive but relaxed. The whole place had a chilled out unrushed feel. Great views of the loch and lovely open fires inside.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank whistlebare
South East England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2009

Bunchrew House folded us in like welcome family, but always with respect. A wonderful room overlooking the beautiful gardens. Traditionally styled but with modern touches like a neatly concealed bar fridge with fresh milk, quality teas, etc. The bathroom was slightly dated in decor but all perfectly functional and absolutely spotless.

The hotel were flexible and made provision for a small group to have an early dinner prior to a show which meant we were the only guests for the main sitting. That could have been a disaster with kitchen staff wanting to get going but instead we had simply incredible service. Chef catered to a dietary restriction, the food was the very best we had in two weeks of Scotland's finest, staff were attentive and friendly but not intrusive and we were given a table seated facing the firth. To top it off, staff banked up the fire for our comfort to have coffee in the lounge afterwards. And we noticed they had desserts ready for the other party when they returned at about 10pm.

Possibly not the best destination for children but fabulous for a romantic or relaxing weekend away. And stunning setting for a wedding. Fabulous gardens filled with bird-song (no traffic noise), outstanding food, lovely rooms, comfortable beds and a glorious location. All rounded off with excellent staff. We notice the detail and are picky customers but were entirely satisfied in every way. It was heaven. And we are planning our return already.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CheckTheDetail
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2009

We loved the atmosphere of this hotel- like staying in a grand manor house with a view of the river. The public rooms are charming, with fireplaces, wood paneling, antiques throughout. Our room was large and comfortable, but there was a very unpleasant smell coming from an area of the carpet near the fireplace- it smelled like curry or cumin. It didn't ruin our stay, but it's hard to relax with a cup of tea and enjoy the spectacular view of the river and have a waft of spicy curry smell overcoming your nose. We enjoyed the Scottish breakfasts in the dining room, and the staff were kind enough to call us to remind us that we were late for breakfast one morning and we appreciated that. Staff were friendly and helpful. We had problems with the fixtures in our bathroom (knobs falling off etc.) but when we complained it was fixed promptly. The best thing about this hotel is the atmosphere.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple