“A couple of faults”

Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Anstruther, United Kingdom
“A couple of faults”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

First impressions of the Townhouse are excellent. The beige carpet leading to the bedrooms was spotless. The standard of cleanliness throughout is first rate as was the welcome at the reception. All the staff are helpful and charming. The bistro restaurant was of a high standard and we enjoyed both times we had dinner there. Breakfast was just fine too. The bedroom itself was spacious with delightful views through a monkey puzzle tree over the lovely and swift flowing River Ness towards the charming opposite bank.
So what were the couple of faults? The big one was the size of the double bed. It looked fine - an attractive iron bedstead with quality linen. BUT it was an old standard Scottish double bed size: 137cm/54". We are not the world's largest people but this made for a very cramped sleep. Turning during the night was a hazardous adventure. In an age where nearly all hotel double beds are at least king size, this was an unwelcome reversion to the past. The second disappointment was that there was a distinct and rather old looking crack in the wash hand basin. Not the end of the world but in an aspirational hotel like this, it just shouldn't have been there.

Room Tip: Book a twin or ensure there is a large double bed.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RMSAlba

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Greek first
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I cannot praise this hotel or the city highly enough. Perfect room, perfect staff, value for money, great location, good food, ambience, comfortable, convenient. Top notch in all ways. Can't even begin to find a fault as there were none at all during my four night stay

Room Tip: I had a riverside view and found it very relaxing indeed.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Lerwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I stay in Inverness, and have done so for years. This is my favourite hotel in the town. The restaurant is first rate, and the staff treat me as a friend, and always welcome me back. Some rooms I like, some I like a little less, but that is fine

Room Tip: If you can get a room at the front of the hotel, do so
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
uk
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed here for one night on a well-deserved long weekend away. We should have booked a riverview room and to be honest this was our fault as we used booking.com and it was not obvious that the room was towards the back of the hotel. This hotel seems to market itself as a hotel for weddings and it would make a suitable venue for this as the decor is very stylish and the rooms (whilst they are not sophisticated) are perfectly fine. We arrived on a Friday night in the rain - so it was a little depressing just to have a view of rooftops and houses from our room. The receptionist was very nice and friendly and the other staff were also keen to assist. They have two restaurants ; Abstract and Contrast (bistro style). Even for the bistro the menu prices were very high; Abstract which has 3 AA rosettes was higher still. We decided to eat out. After dinner we came back to the bar for a drink and sat for over 5 minutes waiting to be served...the bar is set out as if its table service (with menus on the table) however as people were not being served -they had to make their way to the bar. It sounds ridiculous as of course normally a walk to the bar is no issue...but the room design and layout are confusing and as the staff in the bar failed to communicate what was expected -it just turned into an odd experience. Breakfast next morning was even worse. Again the room and design were lovely - there was a nice buffet spread of cereals /fruit etc We ordered ahot breakfast of french toast with maple syrup...it came extremely quickly ie before we finished the fruit/cereal/. Waiter offered to take it back until we were finished but we stated it was fine to leave it. It was really soggy and it did not ocurr to me until after a few mouthfuls that this sogginess was raw egg. Not surprising that it came quickly. My husband left half of his and so did I. I mentioned it to the waiter. He told the chef who did apologize but curiously did not offer a replacement.

My experience with this stay was that this hotel has some staff training issues. It could be a good hotel. It just falls a little short.

Room Tip: choose a river view room (not room 23)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vince092
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel in feb, overall we had a great stay the bed was super comfy the shower was great. When we arrived the heating was on and the room was really cosy. We had a great view of the river and was very close to everything you might need. Staff were very friendly. Only thing I would say was negative was the menu selection was very limited and very expensive although the food couldn't be faulted it was very nice. Stayed 2 nights and would stay again if I could have taken the bed home I would have. Anyone thinking about staying here I would say you should because we had a lovely time.

• Stayed February 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

I haven't stayed in Inverness for a while, but it is a city where I have had quite a few disappointments.
So I was pleasantly surprised with my stay at the Glenmoriston Townhouse.
Well located on the riverside, close to the city centre, I liked the contemporary decor of the bar and restaurant. I also liked the free parking and free wifi (I don't stay in any hotel now that doesn't provide free wifi - it is an absolute necessity).
The furnishings in my room would probably have benefited from an upgrade, but the room was comfortable and clean.
I dined in the hotel, and whilst a bit pricey, the quality and presentation of the food was great and most enjoyable.
What made my stay most pleasant, however, was the friendly, efficient service. It was certainly the best I had experienced in that city, and the (mostly young) team who made me feel welcome and special are to be congratulated.
A very pleasant surprise that I would use again when next in Inverness.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gordon Y
aberdeenshire
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Last minute decisions to go to Inverness.
Great location on Ness bank, not far from Eden Court theatre
Staff excellent, helpful and friendly
Room immaculate and decor of high standard. Really nice breakfast.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple