“Long Weekend”

Ranked #18 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Lossiemouth, United Kingdom
“Long Weekend”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Room was clean and the bed was comfortable, nice bathroom, friendly staff. The food was very good and I had exceptionally good breakfast which was the haggis and tattie scone. However my Dad couldn't get served in the bar because the pumps were switched off for cleaning at half past 9 on Sunday 17th February 2013 Ridiculous!!! ( Which was a good job at £3.85 per pint).Couldn't get WIFI in our room which was 108 but if we went down to the lobby it had worked.
Car parking was not very good as we were next 2 the Train Station and the car park was full of Taxi's. I had a good weekend but these few disappointing points let down the Hotel slightly.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Stayed at this hotel weekend 8th Feb on a groupon deal, lovely old hotel in centre of Inverness next to train station, check in was quick and the staff were very helpful, liked the sweeping staircase up to the rooms, foyer was quite nice to sit and have a drink, free wifi which was good, although not all rooms get good reception ours didn't, breakfast was buffet style and had a good choice to pick from up. our room wasn't that big but was comfortable, only downside was parking only 7 or 8 spaces available which were always filled. Multi storey car park is only 5 mins away and £4 for 24 hrs so wasn't too bad. Would recommend this hotel as central to nighlife and shopping too.

Inverurie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Returning to my home city for a quick visit I was excited about staying in this hotel ,known to me as The Station Hotel as I had always admired it in my youth.
Even today I would not have been able to afford to stay there without good old KGB deals!
I was not disappointed.
As soon as you enter the building its grandeur and original features are on view. What a beautiful entrance way! According to my hubby the staircase was the inspiration for the one on the titanic.

Being voucher holders we do not expect to get the finest of rooms and ours was on the top floor . Knew we were in the cheaper seats as there was no heating in the hallway and there were radiators on the other two!!

However the room was lovely and cosy, not very big and smelt a bit of stale cigarettes but lovely anyway. Don't know if I would have liked it so much if I had been staying more than a night as the window was small and stuck in a corner and there was no outlook. There was also a couple of armchairs which are much appreciated A quirky room with our TV situated under the eaves but beautifully clean with a lovely modern en-suite with all the bits and pieces you would expect from a good hotel. The refreshment tray was more than adequate with the added bonus of a little dish of Werthers Originals and 2 types of bottled water.
Although next to the station we heard no noise and had a blissfully relaxing sleep in a lovely comfy bed.
The hotel is situated bang in the middle of the city with loads of eating places around but we decided to have our evening meal in the hotel because the prices were really reasonable and it was a bitterly cold night. For £6.95 each we enjoyed a beautiful 2-course meal as we dined before 6.30pm but there are other offers after this time. I was really impressed with the standard of food. Hubby said it was the best steak pie he had had in a long time! The waiters were very efficient and friendly as well as being very handsome ( an added bonus for this old pensioner!). A few slight criticisms though -I had to ask for bread for our starter and the waiter seemed surprised to be asked and reluctantly brought a bread roll for me and nothing for hubby who had paid extra for the prawn cocktail which usually has a bread accompaniment. The decor was very modern and not in keeping with the character of the hotel and we were wedged in a corner next to an unglazed window so I felt a bit of a draught.
The breakfast was good - having all you can ask for buffet style in absolutely glorious surroundings -you can dine in the grand ballroom if you wish!! A few wee criticisms though . The self -service drink station is a step too far -much prefer if we could have had a pot of tea at the table as we were constantly up and down for refills and the nearest milk was at the cereal station at the other side of the room. We filled a cup with milk but saw a few old dears trotting back and fore for milk. There were several very attentive staff on duty so think it would be well within their capability to deliver tea to the table.
A personal gripe -although very Scottish I do not like square/Lorne sausage and would have enjoyed the choice of normal sausage. However the haggis and black pudding were very good.

Although not without criticism I loved my night in the old "Station Hotel" .My childhood imagery was not let down and I can't wait for a further offer to come up so that I can go again!!

PS Have a look in the toilets in the reception area if you get a chance -they are wonderful!!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Guests should be aware that this is a traditional hotel in a traditional distinguished building. It has great appeal for those who appreciate this type of hotel, but it must be acknowledged that this style might not suit everybody. The atmosphere in the public areas is tranquil, with lots of reading materials including a selection of newspapers being available.

Our bedroom was adequate, and the en-suite bathroom was clean and bright. The shower was over the bath, rather than being a separate unit. Decoration throughout the hotel is acceptable although in need of a refresh in some areas. The floor in our room had a slight slope to one end, but it wasn't a problem.

The sound deadening was good, with no noise being heard from adjacent rooms, or the one above. We were fortunate to have a reasonable outlook from our bedroom window, although guests in some other rooms were not so lucky!

Dinner was taken in the Ash Restaurant which is also open to the general public. Tables are a bit close together owing to the lack of space, but it is tastefully decorated and has a good atmosphere. One annoying point was a bright blue light which pulses quickly and then stays lit when a meal is ready to be collected from the kitchen. There was a good choice of meals on the menu, portions were large, and the food was delightful. If you are not on a dinner inclusive rate, you are given a discount voucher for use in the restaurant.

Breakfasts are served in the function room, and although adequate, were nothing special, and the buffet system was not entirely to my liking. (A choice of only two fruit juices, Apple and Orange, toast was self toasted, and the bacon was bulk cooked and not particularly attractive!)

Free WiFi is provided and the hotel was warm with no draughts discovered.

There are only eight car parking spaces, although a nearby multi storey car park is available with an acceptable daily rate of £4.50. The hotel is adjacent to the rail station with links to Wick/Thurso, Aberdeen, Kyle of Loch Alsh, Edinburgh, Glasgow and London. Inverness bus station is close by, and there are many taxis in Inverness, some of which stand outside the hotel.

The staff were excellent in all areas, and special mention should be given to room service and the staff in the Ash Restaurant. The breakfast room staff were slightly too efficient, removing used plates as soon as the last piece of food was eaten. Just too quick!

The hotel is animal friendly, and our dog was made most welcome.

The only hesitation I have about staying there again is the lack of car parking spaces immediately outside the hotel, but, having said that, I think I would accept that I might have to use the nearby multi storey car park.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PhotoRon
Cholsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed here again last night..I had asked for room 212 and was pleased to have been allocated it, and in addition to the excellent hospitality tray, I had been left a basked of fresh fruit which I greatly appreciated!
The room was spotlessly clean, spacious and well equipped. There were plenty of complimentary toiletries provided too.
Breakfast in the morning was well organised and faultless.
Location is excellent, especially as I arrived by coach (2min walk) and left by train (30 second walk!!).
I would highly recommended the Royal Highland to everyone, and will definitely be back, soon I hope!!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank AlexJ262
Reviewed 18 February 2013

My partner and I decided to spend the Valentine weekend at this city centre hotel so it seemed had many others! The hotel is the shortest distance from our arrival point of any hotel we've ever stayed in around the world, literally two minutes from the train to the door.

The reception desk staff were friendly and welcoming particularly when the writer had forgotten to print off his Groupon Voucher before leaving !

The focus of the entrance area is the grand stair case which is reminscent of the ones which were features on many of the Edwardian liners such as the Olympic Class ships built at Harland and Woolf. There is also a fine collection of modern paintings at the top of the stair featuring Scottish writers.

Our twin room was mediocre with some distressed furniture, and a view of a noisy back alley, the bathroom though had recently been renovated and seemed very fresh with new tiles on the floor and walls. We decided to dine in the hotel's Ash restuarant on the Friday which was sadly a disappointment, I've done a separate review on it.

We found the dining room and the hotel lobby somewhat draughty on the Friday and we moved to several tables in the lobby until we found one that suited us. The temperature on the saturday was much more agreeable. We liked the idea of the hotel issuing half price drink vouchers which does I suppose serve to keep the residents in the hotel, but also allowed my partner and I the opportunity to sample their cocktail menu !

The Breakfast was very tasty indeed with a good choice of both hot and cold items on offer. The machine dispensed coffee was also surprisingly palatable.

All things considered we would certainly consider staying at the Royal Highland again, however, we would consider asking for another room if we were unhappy with the one we had been allocated.

2 Thank buckpoolloon
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I stayed here for an overnight recently and found the hotel just ok. It is 'shabby' in areas and in need of a lick of paint. My room was ok - again could have been doing with some modernisation as the decor was very dated and in need of 'freshening up'. The breakfast in the morning had lots of choice although the cooked breakfast was buffet style and even although I was in 10 minutes after it opened the food looked as though it had been prepared for some time (scrambled egg was more like quiche as it was flat and hard - definitely did not resemble scrambled egg).

On the bright side, the staff were all very friendly, helpful and welcoming - which made my stay a whole lot more bearable.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business