“Nice Hotel and Ideally situated”

Royal Highland Hotel
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel and Ideally situated”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

We stayed at the Royal Highland from the 1st to 3rd March. It was a Great Deal Offer. This hotel is indeed in an ideal situation. My husband’s case didn’t arrive with us when we arrived at Inverness bus station. The receptionist who dealt with us was very helpful indeed, all the paperwork we needed was in the case. Eventually it turned up.
It is a nice hotel, the rooms are old traditional style but nice and very clean and the beds very comfortable. The bathrooms have been modernised, very nice and the showers are marvellous. We were above the function hall and just before 12 o’clock midnight a Ceilidh started up from a wedding reception in the hall below. OMG I have never heard anything like it. My husband went down and asked could we be moved, and indeed we were. The fire alarm went off while he was down speaking to the receptionist. The other room was also nice on the top floor with a queen sized bed, once again very clean and very comfortable. The following morning we went down for breakfast which was really very nice and piping hot, no complaints.
We were asked to move back to the room we first had as we were told by the receptionist that someone else had booked and requested that specific room for that night!!! We asked if there was going to be another wedding but were assured there wouldn’t be and all should be quiet.
We had a meal in the hotel’s restaurant on the Saturday evening and have to say that it was absolutely delicious. All the waiters were friendly, helpful and polite and the menu had a good variety to choose from.
At just before 1am on the Sunday morning, the fire alarm went off again. We, along with some other guests started to make our way down to exit the hotel, we didn’t quite make it, as one of the staff told us it was it was a false alarm and we could return to our rooms.
I did like this hotel, it was comfortable and the staff helpful when asked anything. If I were to come back to Inverness and to this hotel, I would request not to stay in any of the rooms 121 -130 which were above the function room or ask if there was going to be a wedding on during my stay, otherwise these rooms would be just fine.

Room Tip: Find out if there are any weddings on, if there is ask for a top floor room, certainly not a first f...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

We stayed here courtesy of a Groupon deal and it proved excellent value for money. We had looked at staying here in the past so this was a great way to try it out. We were not disappointed. After looking at others reviews, can't understand why they complain about the views - are they just there to look out the windows all the time? There's only so many can look out the front, and that's just on to a car park and main street! Yes, some parts of the hotel could do with a lick of paint, but it was clean, good size rooms and bathroom and staff helpful.
The negatives - a function went on till 1.00am and friends in a room above couldn't sleep, so perhaps more soundproofing, fire alarm is very, very sensitive went off twice during our stay and breakfast a little disorganised, simple things such as cruet sets on the tables and pots of tea/coffee brought out would save much traffic between rooms.
We came to explore Inverness and the area and found the immediate vicinity compact for shopping, and good places to eat and drink.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

I was really looking forward to a weekend away in Inverness with my best friends, we love the city and had heard some good reviews on the hotel. The prime location was excellent for us, right next to the station and just by luck we managed to get parked just outside (which we realise was very lucky as there are very few spaces!). The room was really nice, and the reception/foyer area seemed very grand!

We went out for a bite to eat and came back to the hotel around 11pm for an early night as we had lots planned the next day and we were tired from the journey. Imagine our disappointment when we got back to the room and the music was blaring from a function downstairs! The walls were literally shaking with the music, we could hear full conversations and everything! We complained to the night porter who was really nice and told us that the function would be over soon. It was still going at 2am!

We woke up the next day after hardly any sleep to go down for breakfast which was terrible. People crammed in, queuing up for cold and unappetizing cooked breakfast which looked like it had been sitting out for a long time. Not a good start to our second day!

We had a lovely day spent in Inverness and were out for drinks at night. We had just got into bed and the fire alarm went off! Obviously a false alarm..another sleepless night!

All in all a disappointing experience. When checking out on the Sunday we explained the situation with the first night and us being directly above the function room. We were met with terrible customer service from the 2 ladies on reception, saying 'well it was a function, I'm sure you have been to one yourselves before!' yes we have! But we paid for a hotel room and weren't at the function. The supervisor didn't even make eye contact and basically said that no one else had complained and that as we had booked online through an agency they couldn't give us a refund. We hadn't asked for a refund, we wanted an apology but customer service is obviously lost on these two...perhaps a change of career is in order.

Oh they did eventually offer a discount off our next stay...no good for us thanks, we won't be back and neither will our friends and family who regularly go to Inverness!

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ethan177

Travellers are raving about these Inverness hotels

Stirling, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

We have just got back from a long weekend family stay at this hotel. I will start with positives and it has a few. The buffet party lunch was superb. The rooms again lovely. The staff very good. The negatives Fire alarms went off on both nights both times false alarms. NO explanation of why!! not on!! I have had this on previous visits in other hotels with full letters of explanation with in some cases refunds not here!! Once you are awake it is hard to get to sleep. This is the other negative the noise from the street tooooooooo much we were in a room facing the main street. So we are now back and off to bed for sleep. Would I go back mmmmm we will see.

Room Tip: Try to go to the back and not above the function rooms as our boys were in a room there and said it...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights and we love Inverness but this hotel was awful. We could not park as the taxi rank had the places and there was only 8 places for the guests!!!!!!!!!!!
The breakfast was the most awful I have had to experience in all my life. Huge cold barn of a room with 3 staff only there to clean up and serve you cooked food. You had to make your own toast, get coffee/tea from a vending machine and the hot buffet was dire. I dont eat meat so I asked for a cheese and onion omelette. It was disgusting. I ate a little and 2 hours later I was sick and I can't remember when I was last sick. The next morning I asked for boiled eggs medium as I knew I would be safe with them. It took 3 attempts to give me eggs that were not raw. I always look to give praise when I review but I am sorry this hotel need to train their staff better, upgrade their breakfast policy as we are not all business men who "eat on the run" and remember that people will only return if they have a good experience and I will never darken this door again!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scottiewanderer
Lossiemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

Room was clean and the bed was comfortable, nice bathroom, friendly staff. The food was very good and I had exceptionally good breakfast which was the haggis and tattie scone. However my Dad couldn't get served in the bar because the pumps were switched off for cleaning at half past 9 on Sunday 17th February 2013 Ridiculous!!! ( Which was a good job at £3.85 per pint).Couldn't get WIFI in our room which was 108 but if we went down to the lobby it had worked.
Car parking was not very good as we were next 2 the Train Station and the car park was full of Taxi's. I had a good weekend but these few disappointing points let down the Hotel slightly.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Falkirk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

Stayed at this hotel weekend 8th Feb on a groupon deal, lovely old hotel in centre of Inverness next to train station, check in was quick and the staff were very helpful, liked the sweeping staircase up to the rooms, foyer was quite nice to sit and have a drink, free wifi which was good, although not all rooms get good reception ours didn't, breakfast was buffet style and had a good choice to pick from up. our room wasn't that big but was comfortable, only downside was parking only 7 or 8 spaces available which were always filled. Multi storey car park is only 5 mins away and £4 for 24 hrs so wasn't too bad. Would recommend this hotel as central to nighlife and shopping too.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple