“Nice enough in the middle of the city”

Mercure Inverness Hotel
Ranked #28 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Nice enough in the middle of the city”
Reviewed 3 February 2012

This is no palace but is a nice place and is perfectly functional. Its city centre location makes it ideal for exploring on foot but comes with the disturbances you'd expect from the main street.

The leisure facilities are OK with a reasonable pool but the place looks like it's being spruced up a bit under the new Mercure brand so I expect it will get better.

Breakfast was excellent and I'll stop here next time I'm in town.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate your comments and as you noticed we are under going some changes within the Hotel. We are currently replacing the windows in the Hotel and have a further list of improvments in the planning stage, I hope you will notice the improvements on your next visit.
Fraser Peterkin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Scotland
Reviewed 3 February 2012

On the positive side, our room was clean and spacious with a good view over the river. The location is good - close to shops etc.
On the negative side, we stayed on a Sunday for 1 night to celebrate our anniversary. When we checked in I asked if it was necessary to book a table in the restaurant and was told that it wasn't because the hotel was quiet, but when we went down for dinner we were told that the restaurant was closed but we could eat the same food in the bar. So we had our anniversary celebration in the bar with 2 large TV screens set on a sports channel (there were guests at 3 or 4 other tables - all male and many avidly watching the TVs so we didn't feel that we could suggest they be turned off). Not quite the romantic setting we'd envisaged!!
Drinks were expensive but our meal was fine - my portion was a bit small, but it was more than made up for by my partner's which was a generous substitute for his 1st choice which wasn't available.
However, we overheard a prize excuse from the barman/waiter serving the closest table to ours after they'd been waiting some time for their food. Having apologised a couple of times for the delay, he told them that it was because the chef had run out of whatever it was they'd ordered and it was taking longer than expected to defrost some more!! At least he was honest - if a bit clueless!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back overlooking the river - and ask if the restaurant is open if this is impo...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Mercure Inverness. We appreciate all feedback and will use your review to improve our service, I am sorry that our Restaurant was closed during your stay.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We stayed at the Mercure Inverness between Christmas and New Year and had a lovely relaxing time. I enjoyed the pool and we found the room very comfortable, with all we wanted in terms of TV, coffee and tea etc and the view from the window was great - the River Ness, part of the town beyond, and in the distance the snow- dusted mountains. The Mercure is very central, close to the railway station( we travelled by car this time but have found proximity to the station very convenient on other visits) and the shopping centres, which had sales on :) Love a shop called East, I always manage to find unusual necklaces there.
The hotel staff, as always, were charming.

Room Tip: A room on the river side will give you a good view, but in summer the seagulls do get noisy very ear...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and the local shopping facilities and took advantage of some of the great sales!
We hope to welcome you back to the Mercure Inverness in the future.
glasgow
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I needed a city centre hotel close to the station with good facilities and the Mercure worked out well. Easy walking distance to transport, restaurants and shops. I worked online for a few hours, and the staff were helpful when I had minor problems.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, I am glad you found our location handy and hopefully you will be back to visit us in the future.
Garstang, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2012

The hotel is perefectly placed for an overnight stay off the train...only 200 metres walk. Receptionist very helpful etc etc.
However, one small gripe. I left a small i-phone device for an exercise app in my room, and rang later to see if iy hadn't been found. It hadn't. I left my mobile number, but never received a call to at least say they had looked and hadn't found it...which is what I would have done.
I could call again, but you have to start again, and somehow, i don't think they are too bothered.
Bit disappointing, but overall everyone was very helpful and friendly...they could have been a bit more helpful, to be honest

Room Tip: Choose a rear facing room overlooking the river
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I appreciate your feedback. I am sorry that you were not called back about your lost property, if you would kindly contact my Operations Manager, Suzan Latto, at the Hotel then she will personally check to see if it has been left behind.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2012

This was the first time I have stayed at this hotel since it was acquired by the Mercure/Accor chain. (I usually stay once every 6 weeks or so at the Columba Hotel at the other side of the river, which I have always enjoyed).

(I decided to give the Mercure a go, as I'm a member of A-Club which is the Accor chain loyalty card/points scheme). Upon checking in, I was surprised that the receptionist didn't know that A-Club gold card members were entitled to a free drinks voucher. (A minor point I know, but nonetheless, a detail that should have been known!).

To be fair, I WAS given a room overlooking the river, which the receptionsit described as "nice". These are usually sold at a higher rate. The room was clean with a very large bed, but in the morning it was impossible to mix the shower temperature and the water was either freezing or scalding hot. I bought this to the attention of the reception upon checking out.

Although the hotel seemed busy enough, I was surprised that the a-la-carte restaurant was closed and I was told that they were serving bar meals in the bar area.

The main advantage of the hotel is that is offers on-site parking, uinlike most others in Inverness centre.

My overall impression of the public rooms, bedrooms, lift etc., is that a bit of a face-lift wouldn't come a miss. Perhaps Accor have plans to update anyhow in the coming months??

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, I appreciate your comments and apologise that our team member was not aware of your AClub benefits. We have only recently been re-branded as Mercure Inverness and were still awaiting some training but this has now all taken place and we have all the benefits in place for members. We do have a lengthy plan of refurbishment in the pipeline and have started this by upgrading our windows, a project we hope to have finished by April 2012.
Nairn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2012

This is one of the few hotels in Inverness city centre with relatively cheap parking, which was important for me, with a few business guests travelling for a function. The lobby and bar areas are fine, the rooms are nice, service was generally very good, and friendly. I got lucky with a view of the river - the view onto (and noise from) Church St probably isn't as good. A decent breakfast topped it all off - really can't complain, particularly when you see some of the dives around the centre of Inverness charging similar rates.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.