“Ridiculous car park policy”

Mercure Inverness Hotel
Ranked #29 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
SCOTLAND
“Ridiculous car park policy”
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Visited the hotel to use leisure facilities for private swimming lessons and was told I was expected to pay for parking. Staff rude and unhelpful. Feel it is inappropriate for a hotel to charge people using their facilities for parking!

Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Edel T
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2012
Thank you for your comments and my apologies that you find our pay and display policy inappropiate. The swimming instructor you visit is well aware of the conditions of her booking with us and should have explained this to all her clients, I will make sure this is done in the future.
Fraser Peterkin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Oban
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Stayed here for two nights last weekend. Hotel is only 5 minutes' walk from the bus station and was easy to find. My room overlooking the river was very spacious and comfortable, with an excellent mattress (something I've found in all Mercures I've been to). My radiator wasn't working at all and, as it was very cold, I rang Reception who arranged for a staff member to find me a spare plug-in heater. This was duly sorted out, and the young chap also fixed the radiator, which looked very old - only trouble was, you couldn't turn the heat down or off - no timer or adjustment on the radiator, so it became very hot during the night. Room was quiet, with a nice view over the Ness, and the hotel breakfast had a plentiful choice, though the food could have been hotter (at 9am on Sunday). Bathroom was clean, great bath and shower, and soft towels, but no heat from the towel rail?? I was a little worried by the uncovered wiring on the flat roof below my window, particularly as the roof had puddles of water lying on it - not sure what was happening there!The hotel is very central for shopping, the Eden Court Theatre, and many great restaurants - one problem was, the hotel map showed Fraser Street to be near the Castle, but I eventually found it just off Church Street, 2 minutes' walk away - it was worth it for the lovely meal at the Mustard Seed, however! I would like to come back to the Mercure soon, and I will certainly recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the River Ness are quieter,
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Mercure Inverness. I appreciate your constructive an positive feedback. I am sorry that you encountered heating issues while staying with us.
Please be assured that the wiring on our roof is not hazardous in any way but essential to provide wi-fi, telephone and other services to all areas of the Hotel.
I hope we can welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 November 2012

We had a riverside room overlooking the River Ness and the view was excellent. At night it was lovely to look out over the river and see the lights. The room itself was clean and very spacious. Although the bathroom was not huge by comparison, it was clean.

Breakfasts were plentiful and very good. You could select from the self-service buffet, or from the á la carte menu, or a combination of both—my husband thoroughly enjoyed the smoked haddock and I thought the porridge was tasty.

The moment we arrived, there was a staff member offering to help and we found this to always be the case throughout our stay at the Mercure. At all times staff were friendly and courteous.

The hotel is only a five minute walk to either the train or bus station and its central location makes it ideal for shopping and seeing the city.

Room Tip: It’s worthwhile paying for a riverside room.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Mercure Inverness. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate your comments on our team, we work hard to ensure that we have the right people working with us and it is nice to hear that it is noticed.
I hope we can welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.
Reviewed 17 November 2012

We stayed in the hotel on the night for our wedding night party and couldnt fault the place. We were politely greated by a very polite receptionist, when signing the paper i realised it was the first time i signed my married name and the receptionist asked me if i wanted to take a photo of it and got a bottle of champange to our room. The room was lovely very spacious, great lighting over the mirror to do make up. Bed was so comfy. We were on the town side and didnt hear much noise at all just normal passin traffic. Would definately return nd recommend.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review, congratulations on your recent marriage! I am pleased to hear that my team made you feel welcome and we are always delighted to help celebrate any special events!
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Scotland
Reviewed 17 November 2012

This city centre hotel is perfectly adequate for an overnight stay. The rooms are clean and satisfactory, although very small, but to be fair, were booked as a single. The towels whilst clean, had seen better days but the bathroom too was perfectly clean.
The restaurant provided a good and varied breakfast, with all the usual fare available and the bar staff were most helpful in their way.
The staff we encountered on the front desk were very friendly and helpful and the hotel was perfectly comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river, as hopefully being quieter than the rooms on the town side of...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with Mercure Inverness and for reviewing you stay. We appreciate all feedback and we can use this to improve our service, I am sorry you were not entirely satisfied with the quality of our towels, we have a contract with a laundry company so I will pass this feedback on to them and also to our Head House Keeper.
I do hope that we can welcome you back in the future.
Wick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2012

The hotel is just a 5 minute walk from the train station which was ideal. It's located in the city centre which is great if you are in Inverness for a shopping trip. There are also plenty of pubs and cafes nearby if you fancy a drink or a coffee. My room was lovely and was very clean. Bathroom could possibly do with being upgraded but it wasn't too bad and was clean. I had a drink in the bar before going out and the staff were very friendly and chatty. The reception staff were also very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was lovely. It's self-service so no need to wait around for your order. Plenty to choose from. No complaints from me!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Mercure Inverness, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and chose to share your opinion with other travellers. It is always nice to get compliments about our staff, I will share your comments with them.
I hope we can welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.