“poor”

Ranked #29 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“poor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

staff ok only one complaint the tv in the room never let u have any channels had to pay to get any thing on the tv only films still no tv channels told staff on check out then had to pay £14.95 staff didnt want to check tv in room only after the money for accessto tv as they put it communication services

Room Tip: ask for a room at the river side
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with certain aspects of your stay. We have 15 channels available free of charge in every room so I am unsure why you could not access these. There are charges clearly stated for movies and internet access via the televison but NOT for the ordinary channels. To access the chargeable services you must enter a pin code.
I would appreciate it if you could contact the Hotel to discuss this, my Reception Manager Sarah Cameron or my Operations Manager, Suzan Latto will be able to clarify your specific account with us.
Fraser Peterkin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

This was our second time here on a Saturday night

Good points - good location, nice bedroom, free wifi (even in rooms), didnt have breakfast so can't comment, evening meal no complaints. Staff polite and efficient.

Bad points - decor a little jaded, bathroom was a bit scruffy the 2nd time and no shower cap.
Very noisy so not recommended if you are light sleeper. However, there are rooms on the riverside that I believe are quiet, we booked our room through an agent, made the riverside request but still ended up on the noisy side !

Having said all that, I still favour this to many others we have tried in Inverness and would still return.

1 Thank Scotslass71
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Mercure Inverness. I really appreciate your honest and constructive feedback, we use this feedback to improve our service and strive to improve every guest's experience.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future and hope you will see the improvments we are making.
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

When I have visited Inverness previously I have always stayed in B&B's, so I was looking forward to staying in the heart of the city centre in a hotel with a pool.

On arrival check in was hassle free and the receptionist friendly. When I booked I had requested a river view room if possible, however I was told there were none available. We did however get a room on the top floor.

The room was a good size with a king size bed. Our room had a balcony, however the door was locked. The bathroom was a good size with a shower over the bath. There was also a retractable clothes line over the bath which I thought was handy! The room features a laptop sized safe and TV with basic channels - about 12 or so.

The only problem we had with our stay came as we were settling for the night. We realised the window wasn't closing properly. We called the front desk who sent someone up, however they were unable to fix it. We were offered a move to another room, however at that time of night we were settled and didn't want to pack up and move. We probably should have as it was a cold night (despite having the heating on all night) and a little noisy as we were street facing. The next day a handy man came by to attempt to fix again however to no joy. There were no river view rooms available for our second night so we decided it wasn't worth moving as there was still a risk of another dodgy window as we learnt the ones at the back have been replaced however the ones at the front haven't been and can be a bit temperamental. I asked for extra bedding for the second night so the temperature wasn't a problem, however the street noise was quite bad (Saturday night revellers worse than Friday night ones!) which led to a broken sleep.

The window issue is our only complaint however as all the staff we encountered were excellent and friendly, it's just a shame the windows aren't up to scratch. I spoke to another couple who were front facing and they had the same issues as us with a wonky window, however like us they didn't let it ruin their stay.

The pool is small but a good depth and fine for swimming laps. The sauna and steam room were also good so it was a great way to relax on a bity break.

Overall we were happy with our stay because of the location and the hotel facilities. However, unless I knew I was getting a river view room I wouldn't return to the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a river view room for quietness and warmth!
2 Thank sanvegas489
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us, I appreciate your honest and constructive feedback. I am sorry that we could not fix the issue you had with the window in your room, we are due to have the windows replaced on this side of the Hotel in the Spring of this year (subject to weather conditions).
I am glad that you enjoyed the rest of your stay though and found time to use our leisure facilities. I do hope that we get the chance to welcome you back in the future and we will make sure your room is on the river side of the Hotel.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

We stayed for one night. The hotel is a great location, walking distance from main sites of Inverness. Check in was efficient and reception staff very friendly. We were allowed to check in a couple hours early which was a bonus. The rooms are big compared to many city hotels. Had all the essentials in the room, and a decent nights sleep. Bed was large and comfortable. Hotel generally presented clean and tidy.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Mercure Inverness. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.
Fraser Peterkin
Follow us on Twitter and/or like us on Facebook for all our latest news and offers!
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

My wife and i had a great two day visit to the hotel.
We arrived two hours early and asked if it would be possible to leave our bags until check-in time. We were greeted very warmly by a friendly, professional and helpful member of staff who advised that our room was already available! The accommodation itself was very spacious and well equipped with comfortable large king size bed and just about everything one needed to make for a comfortable couple of days. The weather was pretty rubbish so we decided to relax down in the conservatory and read, enjoying drinks occasionally from the bar. Again, very professional staff. .We were given the WiFi code and had absolutely no trouble in accessing all we needed. WiFi is available in public areas and not bedrooms which is made clear if you read the hotel information. . We also enjoyed the Leisure facilities where we found a pool, sauna and jacuzzi with free towels and lockers available. there is also a gym.

We decided not to eat in the hotel but others were eating in the Bar and the restaurant was closed. The buffet breakfasts were excellent, with a large choice of delicious hot and cold foods. VERY TASTY!.

Our visit was over the Saturday/Sunday nights and we did find that the noise from the street three floors below was quite a disturbance on the Saturday, The pub opposite is VERY popular and was very noisy with people in the street until 3am.This was in spite of the double glazed windows in our room and no fault of the hotel but next time I would request to be in a quieter location if I went at a w/end.

I couldn't help but wonder when i read an earlier review of this hotel if our attitude affects what we find. If we go in "inspecting" and looking for faults and short-comings inevitably we will find some. If we go expecting to enjoy and appreciate the surroundings i feel we are quite likely to do just that. Thanks Mercure for a great visit!!.

1 Thank Glasg0wJ0hn
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your informative review after your stay with us at Mercure Inverness. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and took the time to share this with other travellers. For future reference, since your stay we have upgraded our wi-fi and it is now available, free of charge, in ALL areas of the Hotel including bedrooms.
I hope we can welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

totaly recommend this hotel , well located for city centre , good bars right on your doorstep , rooms very clean, beds very comfortable and for the staff and being looked after you could not fault them . just wish i brought swim gear to take advantage of swimming pool in hotel

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us at Mercure Inverness, I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and our city centre location.
I hope we can welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future, maybe next time you will get a chance to enjoy our leisure facilities!
Fraser Peterkin
Follow us on Twitter and/or like us on Facebook for up to the minute offers and news!