“Great location but way past sell by date!”

Mercure Inverness Hotel
Ranked #28 of 35 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 23 March 2013

First the good..

Friendly staff and fantastic location in city center. Close to shops and station and some excellent restaurants (Rockpool across the bridge was superb).

Now the bad...

This is a 70's hotel that needs much, much more than just yet another coat of paint in the bedrooms.
We paid £200 for a 'junior suite' which, was daylight robbery!
This was for no more than a VERY dated double room with a small room off with some shabby random furniture and a tiny sofa which looked fresh out of a charity shop!
The bathroom had broken and missing tiles, rusty door hinges, the top insert missing from a tap and generally grubby looking, due to age rather than cleanliness.
The public areas had obviously had some attention, but everywhere stank of chlorine from the basement spa.
Breakfast was 'OK' with a view of the river and a newish looking Premier Inn...which, is where I would recommend you go!

3  Thank pitliver
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Mercure Inverness. I appreciate your honest and constructive feedback, we do take all our feedback and use it to try and improve our service.
I do hope that we will get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel and you will notice the improvments we are making.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Inverness Hotel

Reviewed 21 March 2013

Hotel is a great place for shops, nightlife and has its own carpark. Breakfast was good in the morning, plenty of choice. Bed wasnt the comfyest, bathroom isnt the biggest could do with some shelving to put toiletries on, had to put stuff on back of the toilet. Shower will just about blast you out of the bath, so beware.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 18 March 2013

Hotel clean and friendly! Good facilities for children i.e. swimming pool! Room at the back and at the weekend, no noise from the street being a couple of floors up! Breakfast adequate. Car park proved a bit of a problem, struggle to find a space free and when we did, very tight for a large vehicle, but did always manage to squeeze in somehwere! Excellent location for walking in the city, in great area for restaurants close by!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kit R
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review after your recent stay with us at Mercure Inverness, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and took the time to tell other travellers.
As you found out, our location has a wealth of choices for dining on our doorstep and it is ideal for having some leisure time around the city centre.
I do hope that we can welcome you back in the future.
Fraser Peterkin

Why not follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook?

Reviewed 17 March 2013

Stayed weekend here and really enjoyed.Its a quality hotel in the centre of town and a pleasant place to stay.Rooms are large,clean and very comfortable.Staff very pleasant and polite.Facilities are excellent and breakfast very good.Can't fault this hotel in anyway

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Metcalfe22

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and then taking the time to review your stay, your feedback really is appreciated. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay.
I hope we can welcome you back to the Mercure Inverness in the future.
Fraser Peterkin

Why not follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook!

Reviewed 13 March 2013

We stayed at this hotel on a Special Package - 2 nights B & B with dinner on the first night.
We had a room overlooking the river which meant that we not only had a pleasant view but it was also quiet at night (on previous visits we have been at the other side and have experienced some noise from the late night revellers). The food was good, the service excellent. It's central location is ideal for anyone travelling by train (as we were) as it is only a short walk from the Station. Equally it has a fairly large car park at the rear. Looking forward to a return visit before the end of the year.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank Mary B
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us again and for taking the time to post your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, it is always a pleasure to welcome back returning guests.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 11 March 2013

We held our wedding at The Mercure last week and I have to admit it wasn't our first choice as I am a stickler for top quality, freshly cooked produce and good service but the package price was very attractive.
Our initial meeting with the Events Manager Susan instantly put us at ease as she was incredible friendly but also has a vast depth of knowledge of event planning. We told her we wanted something simple but high quality food and good service were essential and boy did they TOTALLY EXCEEDED OUR EXPECTATIONS and more importanly our guest too!
From the moment I arrived at the hotel on the morning of the wedding (along with some of my guests) right until we checked out the following day not a fault could be picked with the hotel or the staff!
The large suite we had was on the top floor, overlooking the river and was immaculately clean and well appointed, as were all of our guests rooms. The reception back into the hotel for ourselves and our guests after the ceremony was beautifully carried out with staff taking time to chat to guests and move within them to give assistance if necessary. This was a godsend to me with ever increasing armfuls of gifts!
We were then shown throw to the restaurant for our meal and I had earlier dropped the table decorations of and the hotel staff had done an absolutely marvellous job of placing all the items with great flair and they looked stunning. The meal itself consisted of tomato and basil soup (even the teenagers raved about it being so tasty), a roast beef dish which was tender and succulent and richly, creamy pannacotta for dessert. The service throughout the meal was very efficient and attentive and the staff obviously are traditionally trained in food service (serving from the right and clearing from left, etc), which just added the icing on the cake for an previously employed hospitality lecturer like me!!
The reception downstairs was absolutely perfect too. Our package had included a dj for the night and he was very astute at catering for the guests as he gave us a variety of options to keep all the generations entertained. This included Karaoke for the children, pop tunes from through the decades and scottish ceilidh music to get my 87 year old father up on his feet. We were then further fuelled by (a very much commented on afterwards by my guests) buffet, which was M&S quality and not the usual wedding buffet at all.
I would just like to express a very massive, hearfelt thanks to all the staff, Kitchen, Waiting, Bar, Reception and Management for being so perfect and giving so many people such a lovely day!!

2  Thank janetsco

Dear Mr & Mrs!
I am delighted to read your feedback and I am also pleased that you enjoyed your day so much. Suzan and her team take great pride in the service within the Hotel but it is always an honour to be so invloved in someones wedding day. As I am sure you are aware, feedback like you have given is always a boost to the team and lets them know that their efforts have not gone un-noticed.
Suzan tells me that you were a joy to work with from the start and one of the most relaxed Bride & Groom's that she has worked with in a long time! I have shared your review with all our team and I would would like to pass on all our best wishes to you both for a long and happy future together.

Reviewed 9 March 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect when we arrived outside. It looked like a dodgy apartment block. Once inside I was relieved. The hotel is clean and well presented. They also have a pool although I did not take advantage of this during my stay. My room was clean and comfortable. The only issue I had during my stay was the window in my room. It was not shut properly so the room was quite cold and noisy as the room looks out onto a busy street. There was no handle so I couldn't try and shut the window. The bar in the hotel was really good and the staff were polite and friendly. The hotel is right in the city centre so is good for a spot of retail therapy. There is also a car park at the rear although it is chargeable. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face out onto the Main Street.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank InvernessSarah2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Mercure Inverness. I appreciate your feedback and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. We are in the process of replacing all the windows in the Hotel and hope to have them all completed in the very near future.
I do hope that we can welcome you back in the future, maybe next time to will find time to use our leisure facilities.