“Great location but needing a refurb”

Mercure Inverness Hotel
Ranked #28 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
glasgow
“Great location but needing a refurb”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

This is the best located hotel in the city by a mile with views out over the river, it's own car park, and convenient for the station.
The rooms and public areas are welcoming enough but needing major expenditure to bring them up to date.
Whoever wants a pink bathroom off the public area?
having stayed here three times recently I cannot fault the staff who are friendly and keen to help but for a city centre hotel in one of the major business and tourist locations in the highlands it is less than overwhelming.
The three different categories of room that I stayed in were all adequate, with free wifi, but drab.
Great location and would stay the again simply because of that but come on Mercure ~ spend some money on an upgrade.
And whilst it is nice to have a pool do you really need to smell it from everywhere in the hotel.

1 Thank stewartscotland1151
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Mercure Inverness. I appreciate your constructive feedback and we do listen very carefully to all our guests, we do have a planned programme of investment in the Hotel and hope you will see these improvments in the future.
Fraser Peterkin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Where to start that is the point! Overall the hotel is nice looking but looks are very deceptive. The Lobby and reception area looks nice and professional however the rest of the hotel fails to live up to the same standards. The bedrooms where of a nice size but be warned the walls of the hotel are very thin!!. I recently stayed in room 212 and the rooms where so thin that nearly every night i could hear the bathroom taps dripping in the next room!!. And also avoid room 214 as the window won't open at all and the bottom of the room doors does not touch the floor with the carpet their is about a 2 inch gap between the bottom of the door and the carpet.The level of service was poor and this was clearly evident on my first morning when i was rudely awakened by the ringing of the hotels fire alarms and guests staying in the hotel at the time where given conflicting messages one member of staff told us to get out the rooms whilst another member of staff told us not to worry about the sound of the fire alarms. Now surely if the fire alarm is ringing then its best to evacuate the hotel to be on the safe side right? That's what i taught but no with the fire alarms still ringing we were told to just wait down in reception until further instructions. The breakfast was not what i expected!! Im used to staying in hotels and expect most breakfasts to largely the same. Oh how wrong i was the breakfast menu stated what was on the buffet however when you went up to the buffet half the items that were on the menu were not present throughout the whole length of my stay!! And when i asked a member of the breakfast staff for a pot of tea i never received it at all so im still waiting on my pot of tea. Overall the hotel looks nice but the looks are very deceptive my advice to the hotel is get some money and finish making the rest of the hotel look like the nice reception lobby area and then work on your standards and staffing issues and you might just have the makings of a great hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank robross_12
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am dissapointed to hear that your stay was not to our usual standard and you were not satisfied. I would obviously like the opportunity to address your issues but feel that may be better in conversation so please feel free to contact me or my Operations Manager, Suzan Latto, at the Hotel where we will be happy to discuss your stay.
I would like to note that during your stay we had an issue with another guest setting our alarm system off with the shower in the room, when our staff told you not to worry we had already found this problem so knew there was no threat to any other guests.
As we were not given the opportunity to address these issues during your stay or on check out I would appreciate it if you could take the time to contact Suzan at your convenience.
Fraser Peterkin

Travellers are raving about these Inverness hotels

Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I found this hotel very comfortable. My room was facing the street and I was in no way affected by noise..it was very quiet (perhaps this was because it was a Monday night). I found the front desk very helpful and accomodating.
I needed and additional pillow to prop myself and the staff was only too willing to provide :-)
The night that I stayed there it was snowing and I didn't really feel like dining out so I brough back some Indian food from a local establishment. Although it was delicious, the restaurant forgot to pack cuttlery with my take out so the dining room of the Mercure was very accomodating and allowed me to bring some cuttlery up to my room.
The water pressure was strong and the bathtub was nice and deap.
The breakfast buffet was plentiful and I really enjoyed the mix of hot and cold.
I would recommend the Mercure!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Mercure Inverness. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that my team were on hand to help you out when needed.
I do hope that we can welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.
Fraser Peterkin

Why not follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook for up to date news and offers?
Scotland
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Stayed here for 3 days and can only say that it is a central location. The rooms Suit not as described and were cold with only small radiator the second room had sofa 2 seater which had small bathroom. Mostly used i think by workers in local area to stay. My Car was bashed 2 times as space is limited. One good thing was the Breakfast anything you wanted could be had and they also have great staff who were always willing to help.

Room Tip: Okay for a night
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and also to review your stay. I appreciate your constructive comments and I will look into these issues. I am glad that you enjoyed your Breakfast with us and that my team were on hand to help when needed.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the future and you will see the improvments we are making around the Hotel.
Padua, Italy
Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

Avoid 518 room or ask before for noisy room. All the nigth a fan worked over our heads, seem to be in a boat machine room.
The silly thing is I complied it, but a girl from the hotel ensured us it stop from 10pm to 6:30 am. It was a lie, don't believe them.

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am sincerely sorry that you were disturbed by the extractor fan on our roof. It is normally on a timer but on the night of your stay this did not work, we had an engineer in to repair this the next day to avoid any further disturbances.
I appreciate your feedback and hope that this will not deter you from booking with us in the future.
Thurso, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We have stayed at this hotel a few times before and because we're always satisfied we return, the staff are friendly, the location is central and its cleanliness is guaranteed, was most surprised this time when I asked could we leave our cases as we had a hospital appointment - this was at 10.30 in the morning - and the receptionist said our room was ready for us so we just checked in then

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank visitor707
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and again, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay again. Our team work very hard to try and ensure our standards so your feedback will be appreciated by them as well.
I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2013 via mobile

Centrally located near shops and great nearby restaurants. (Mustard Seed restaurant was fantastic and only on next street). Parking was £2 overnight.
All staff were very friendly and eager to help...at reception, bar, breakfast, spa/gym, and rooms. Really welcoming.
Small pool, jacuzzi, steam room, sauna and gym were an added bonus. Other feedback mentions smell of chlorine from lower ground floor, but, whilst I agree, it's enticing!
Breakfast was varied and all very fresh. We were well looked after with tea and coffee. The river views from the breakfast room were lovely.
Enjoyed time in relaxing bar. River view again.
Room was spacious, 2 TVs (one in separate, adjoining room with sofa bed). Bathroom okay. Bottled water in rooms in addition to tea/coffee making facilities. Room had good view. Nice quality bedding. Very comfy.
Bedrooms are a bit tired and not overly luxurious but this didn't detract from an enjoyable stay and I'd recommend and would return to stay again if the price was right.
Thanks to all the lovely staff. Keep up the good work!

1 Thank SophieP665
Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to review your stay, I appreciate your feedback and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us again.
I do hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.