“Good Location - tired hotel”

Mercure Inverness Hotel
Ranked #30 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We travelled to Inverness to attend a family funeral. Our usual hotel was fully booked that we usually use whilst visiting relatives, so we decided to try what used to be the Caledonian in Inverness. It is in a very good location beside the river and for the other amenities in Inverness.
We were given a very large top floor room with fantastic views to the west.
Unfortunately that's all the good bits, this hotel is very tired, our bathroom was really pokey and dated with no room for toiletries, a shower that was very difficult to use.
The Bar , Breakfast Room and Reception are long past there best and in dire need of gutting and refurbishment. All this for £165.00 for one night B&B.
The Manager may wonder why we never made our views known at reception on check out...the receptionist never enquired about how our stay was...so little point in talking to her.
Good location , but overpriced and the refurbishment is about 10 years over due.

Room Tip: Ask (at extra cost for a high room overlooking river).
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank bumybaj
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and please let me pass on my personal apology that your stay was not our usual standard.
I believe my Operations Manager has been in touch with you but if this is not the case then please let me know by contacting the Hotel.

Reviewed 4 May 2013

Spent 3 days in Inverness. The hotel is very near the train station (within walking distance) and we were given a very warm welcome. The bedroom was spacious,clean, comfortable and quiet, overlooking the river. The meals were excellent with an extremely friendly staff who couldn't do enough for us. Would recommend this hotel, and would definitely go back there.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank margaret w

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I will share your comments with our team but I know they will also be delighted with your comments.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

We booked 2 rooms, 1 twin and 1 double for a single night at this hotel. The carpark was a nightmare and not helped by people failing to park properly, but managed to squeeze into a space. It did mean we entered through the back of the hotel which was a bit strange. The staff on reception were very friendly and seemed very competent and the hotel looked nice.
The double room was amazing, a large bed and sitting room, river views, coffee machine and lots of space. We were delighted.
The twin room was not as good. Small, street facing, no sitting room or coffee machine and it was also made into a double and despite many requests, was 10pm at night before housekeeping came to change the beds into 2 close singles, despite checking in around 6pm. Was a shame really as the double was really nice so our impression was great until we heard about the twin room- even odder as they were the same price. Seems a shame that things could be so different but thats the impression we got here.
Hotel bar is totally overpriced, head straight out if wanting a drink.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor seemed to be bigger than those on the second!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cazza900
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Mercure Inverness. I appreciate your thoughts and my apologies that your rooms were so varied, obviously this is not usual practise and I will speak to our Reception team to ensure that this doesnt happen in the future.
I hope you enjoyed your visit to Inverness and that we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

As a Club Accor member I received a circular offering a 3 for 2 nights deal which I took up. The hotel is very central and easy to find. The car park is usually very full but there was always a space somewhere, and at £2 per night is good value. Staff were very friendly and eager to help. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable, the bed large and the free wifi worked reasonably quickly most of the time. We ate out all the time so cannot comment on the restaurant. There ends the good news!
The whole place is tired and worn. Badly in need of upgrading both in decor and fixtures / fittings. We were allocated a room with no air conditioning, and with windows that were screwed shut with nothing to open them with as the fittings were missing. Having drawn this to the attention of the hotel, a caretaker quickly arrived to remove the screw so at least we could get some fresh air. The downside to this was that all the noise from the busy street below came in, with the locals keen to maintain the national stereotype of noisy drunks until 3am each night. A couple of hours relative peace ensued before the early morning traffic noise commenced. There are two lifts, one of which was prone to malfunction and on one occasion both got jammed.
The staff deserve better, and the guests deserve better. Certainly Club Accor members deserve better!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river - it might be quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank whitbyladYorkshire

Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Inverness, I am sorry that your stay was not to our usual standard. I appreciate your comments and will work with my team to ensure that the issues you encountered are dealt with. We did have an issue with our lift but we have since had engineers in to repair this. We have also had 50% of our windows replaced and the other 50% are due to be changed in the next few months but I am sorry that this affected your stay with us.
I do hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future and you will be able to see the improvements we are making.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

The Hotel met all my needs. The room was good, the food was good and the gym facilities, whilst basic, met my needs. The Hotel could do with updating, but the staff are well coming and friendly. I was pleased I had good Internet connection in my room. Overall a good stay and I will be returning again next month.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and also for choosing to stay with us again, it is always a pleasure to welcome returning and new guests alike.
I am pleased that you found time to make use of our leisure facilities when you stayed. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.

Reviewed 25 April 2013

The room was spacious even with the baby cot. The pool was lovely and warm and the other spa facilities were also nice. Unfortunately the hot water in the room was a bit erratic - fine one moment then too cold the next. Overall it was a very enjoyable time. The museum in Inverness was very interesting and the castle was impressive to look at - it would have been nice to look round were this converted to a tourist atraction.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us when you visited Inverness and thank you for sharing your views with other travellers.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Inverness and I appreciate your thoughts, I also agree with you about the Castle, it would be great to have it more visitor friendly in the future.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

Not only am I tired after a three day stay here but so are the rooms. The room i had has a pituresque view from the window of the wheelie bins and a skip. the room itself is in need of a total refurb bed knackered toilet failed to flush properly and on the final day no hot water from the shower. When I reported this at checkout all I got was a mumbled reply that it must have been down to excessive use of the residents. As for the noise take ear plugs the hotel is situated on a main entertainment thoroughfare. Which keeps you awake until 3am in the morning. Avoid at all cost I certainly won't be back.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Norman K

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I am sorry to see that your stay was not our usual standard. Our beds are checked on a daily basis by our House Keeping team and replaced where needed from the large stock we keep at the Hotel, I am sorry that you also had a problem with our plumbing. I will of course, get these issues checked and rectified.