“Inverness mercure”

Ranked #29 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
scottsdale, Arizona
“Inverness mercure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

Great location, next to river and in city center. 5 minute walk to castle. . Beds comfy. Staff very friendly. Free parking. Lots of places to eat near by. Do not get the pizza at Johnny Foxs. (Next door)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and found the time to explore our beautiful city.
I hope we can welcome you back in the future, you should try our own pizza next time as it is delicious!
Fraser Peterkin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

Unfortunately we got off to a bad start with this hotel pretty much from the get go. We had been on the bus with the tour group for pretty much 12 hours from Glasgow to Inverness and were pretty tired. We went up to our rooms at about 6.45 to freshen up a little bit before dinner at 7.30. The carpets in the hotel are worn and dirty. Thankfully the rooms themselves are pretty clean and quite spacious. Close examination of the wallpaper shows it's a bit tattered in places. Bathroom is a bit small - probably one of the smallest we've had. Just be careful when turning on the shower. You need to turn to the hot side really quickly or you get a cold shock. Our room overlooked the street at the back of the hotel and can be pretty loud since there are restaurants and bars nearby. I got woken up pretty early in the morning by some drunken revellers singing and shouting but was able to sleep after but light sleepers beware. Unfortunately there is no aircon in the room so you HAVE to leave the window open for some ventilation. What made it worse was that the handle on our window was broken so we had to call maintenance which turned out to be the manager (Chris) who was able to solve our window problems. Unfortunately our bags didn't make it to our rooms by the time we had to get down to dinner and this is where the problems began. There was a massive group already there and we learnt later that two groups had turned up unexpectedly. It took ages for them to actually get the menu to us at which point we were informed that we would get served entree and dessert but had to go up to a small buffet for main meals. Strange since the larger group already there seemed to be served their main meals. You could see straightaway that the number of staff there was inadequate to service the amount of people in the restaurant. Some of us didn't even have glasses for water! Entree and dessert was fine but the main meal had been sitting there for a long time and was getting dry. Other guests noticed that they were pouring hot water on the spaghetti to soften it up so by the time that we actually got to eat it, the spaghetti was broken up and soft. It was definitely very dry and fairly tasteless and probably the worse meal that we have had for the entire tour. Breakfast in contrast was actually very good much to my surprise. We were actually going to go out and look for Breakfast ourselves but thought we'd see what was on offer first. Lyndsey who was serving tea and coffee to guests was very friendly and cheery and a definite asset to the hotel staff. The hotel is situated quite centrally and there are some good alternatives for dinner which I would encourage people to use if they have arrived in a group and have no choice. Another plus is that they provide free wifi throughout the hotel. Overall I think Mercure needs a drastic overhaul in both service and facilities as talking with other members of our group, they had some big problems with their rooms which wasn't dealt with well. Yes there are some positives as with anything but I'm quite disappointed with Mercure in general though as I've had other bad experiences and it's definitely not a brand I will use willingly again.

Room Tip: If for some reason you HAVE to stay here, then pay for the upgrade or at the very least try and get...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your short stay with us recently, I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occassion. I appreciate your constructive comments and will use them as we try to continually improve our service.
I respect your opinion but thankfully it does seem to be an isolated incident, we catered for 200 guests on the evening in question with very minimal negative feedback. All our groups were booked in at specific times on differant meal plans on that evening and I can assure you we did not have any unexpected groups dining with us.
I do hope you enjoy the rest of your visit to Great Britain.
Fraser Peterkin

Travellers are raving about these Inverness hotels

littleborough
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

I went to Inverness to visit the Strathspey and Keith & Dufftown Railways and the Mercure was very handy, being only a few minutes walk from the station. Great room, overlooking the river , and very clean. Friendly staff also.The only drawback was the limited menu (at very high prices) for evening meals. I did have the buffet style breakfast, although I felt it was a little overpriced at £13.95, and I finished off each night with a pint of Boddingtons bitter (£4), but, as the beer in the local bars was £2.80 a pint, and I like Indian and Chinese food, I ate and drank out the three nights I was there.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, I appreciate your constructive feedback and will use this as we try to improve our service. Our Breakfast is available at a lower rate when booked in advance at the time of reservation or when checking in, my apologies if you were not made aware of this.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

Stayed here last night while in Inverness on business. As others have said it is in a great location but if you get offered a room on the 5th floor ask for another or find another hotel. The extractor fan on the roof is on until half 10 at night and comes back on again at 5 in the morning!!! Unless you're a very heavy sleeper who can sleep through the constant loud drone of heavy machinery you'll be wide awake not long after 5 in the morning.

Fortunately I was only there for one night but when I complained on checking out I was informed that it shouldn't have come on until 6 o'clock as if that would have been far more acceptable. I really dont think this hotel should be charging full rates for 5th floor rooms when they are clearly aware of the problem and therefore cannot guarantee guests a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Not the 5th floor!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you were disturbed during your stay with us. This noise was due to an extractor fan on our roof which we have discovered needs to be replaced, this work is being carried out immediately and until then the fan has been isolated but my sincere apologies that your stay was not entirely satisfactory.
Thurso, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

Really nice hotel, great location, really friendly and helpful staff. Only downside was the leisure facilities were closed for maintenance, this was solved as other facilities were made available at another hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. My apologies that the Leisure Club was closed, this is now open again and I appreciate your patience with this matter.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

We chose this hotel primarily for it's location and plumped for a riverside view superior room which was "top notch" spacewise/decor and with lovely Nespresso machine. It is so handy for the railway station, the airport bus connection & right on the edge of all the shops/banks etc.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful, even the maintenance chaps had a chirpy manner.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Railtraveller63
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Mercure Inverness.
My team will be pleased with your comments and I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.
murrieta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Hotel is very tired and needs modernized. Rooms and bathrooms need updated. Hotel location is great and the city center is just a few minutes walk. The breakfast buffet was adequate. The staff were very helpful and courteous.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, I welcome your constructive feedback and we will use this as we continue to try and improve our service. We do have a planned programme on Maintenance within the Hotel and hope if you choose to stay with us again then you will notice these changes.
I am glad that you enjoyed our city centre location and my team will be delighted with your comments.