“Disappointing stay”

Mercure Inverness Hotel
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Last minute booking but stayed there before. 2 rooms booked. 4th floor room was nice but 5th floor room was not nice. The window was broken and didn't close. The room was very cold. Hotel worker tried to fix it but it was obvious that the entire window was loosely fixed in the wall causing a safety issue!
We were moved to other rooms which for the costs were not impressive at all. Small and terrible basic for the price in comparison to budget hotels.
Hotel very tired and in desperate need of TLC. Sunday breakfast was good once i interrupted the 4 staff members talking and giggling in the corner and not paying attention while half the buffet dishes were empty including the orange juice urn.
Receptionist could have been a little more concerned about our stay instead of simply having me hand over my card and handing me back with card with my invoice. No questions about if we enjoyed our stay, nothing at all! Spa and pool very good, bar is a nice place and food good. Management need to pay attention a little more to the condition of the hotel and the way their staff conduct themselves.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am sorry to hear that you encountered some issues while staying with us. We have had all our windows replaced recently and there has been a few teething issues but our Maintenance team now have them all sorted. I have discussed your comments with our Food & Beverage team and on behalf of them I would like to apologise, this is not acceptable and hopefully will not happen again.
I do hope that we can welcome you back in the future and you will see the improvments we are making.
Fraser Peterkin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,256)

Reviewed 18 October 2013

I've stayed at this hotel previously and was pretty pleased. The room was spacious, its an ideal location for me when I'm on business and is close to the train station. However my most recent visit was disappointing, I was in a very small room, one side of the bed pushed against the wall !!!! My bedroom was also next door to storage room, which was noisy as staff were in out numerous times. The television in my room wasn't working, I had to wait two hours for a replacement. The staff were all very courteous, but I don't think I'll be back, there are other hotels close by at a higher standard and a similar price. If you get allocated Room 230, don't take it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. I apologise that it took so much time to repair the issue you had with your TV. I do hope that you were offered a room move if you mentioned that you were not happy with your room on arrival, we do have a Guest Care Manager on duty at all times to deal with such issues.
I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves and return to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

I have been visiting Scotland for the last 15 years & always stay at this hotel as it is clean, friendly & excellent value. The breakfast is exceptional, the restaurant always puts on a great selection of evening meals & there's no nicer restaurant with the magnificent view of the river. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation!

Room Tip: Go for the Studio room with the river view!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your kind review of our Hotel, it is always a pleasure to welcome back returning guests and we appreciate your continued business.
I look forward to seeing you in the near future and thank you once again for choosing Mercure Inverness.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Spent 3 nights this time - our third visit, with the hotel chosen mainly for its central location. We asked for a room overlooking the river to avoid the inevitable street noise, but were told no rooms were available. The hotel didn't seem crowded, with the breakfast room not a quarter full the next day, and the car park had plenty of room, but we had to accept the explanation.
On the plus side, since last time new windows had been fitted and both lifts were working - albeit quirkily (every time we pressed for ground floor from the second, it decided to go via the third despite nobody being there, so by day 2 we ended up taking the stairs). The staff are as friendly and helpful as always. Breakfasts were good. There is free wifi throughout.
On the down side, the décor is still tired and worn, and the room had a pervading mustiness about it. The door key worked every day until the evenings, when without fail it stopped and had to be reset (no, it wasn't kept by a mobile phone!). The very large bed had a duvet one size too small with no overhang - this meant sleeping in the middle, which begged the question as to why have such a large bed in the first place!

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the river. You probably won't get one, but ask anyway.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, I appreciate your honest and constructive feedback and, of course, your continued business.
We are in the process of a lengthy programme of works to improve the Hotel and as you noticed we have replaced the beds but our linen is the wrong size so our House Keeper is working with our laundry company to change this very shortly.
I do hope that we can welcome you back in the near future and you will notice the improvments we making.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Here for 4 nights. First night was awful- new windows that did not fit and the local DJ in the pub opposite- not good. Had already informed the hotel of the door- had broken into and was very loose. Next day window was mended and I slept very well.
The room was very comfortable, did have to ask how to use the shower.
Food was very good and plentiful. Loved the central location- easy to reach the bus and train station.

Room Tip: Overlooking the river
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, I am glad that you enjoyed the majority of your stay and we were able to rectify the issues you encountered. We have recently had new windows fitted and there has been some teething problems with them but we have these all rectified now.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I stayed as part of a group and my room was at the front of the hotel overlooking the city centre. The room was a typical "chain" standard room. Clean, spacious, slightly dated. Noise from rowdy city centre revellers on Sunday interfered with sleep but subsequent nights were quiet. Staff were friendly & helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river rather than the city centre are probably quieter if you are staying at t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, I appreciate your honest and constructive feedback and we do use this as we continually try to improve our service.
I am glad that you found our team to be friendly and helpful, they are very hard working and will appreciate your comments.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

5 minute walk to the railway station and near all the shops and buses.
Our room was a large en suite with a sofa bed and flat screen t v.
The bed was huge with 6 pillows and 3 cushions.
Our window view faced the River Ness over the car park.
The meals were buffet breakfast and served starter and dessert with help yourself dinner choice in the evening.
The waitress/bar service needed more training.
I used the swimming pool/ jacuzzi and sauna and steam room but would have liked longer opening times than the 7 am to 8.30.
The entrance from the main road is unprepossessing and can be tricky to locate as the sign is high on the roof top.
The decor particularly in the corridors is scuffed and the en suites are a little tired.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I appreciate you constructive feedback and will use this as we continually try to improve our service.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we can welcome you back in the future.