“An ok stay”

Ranked #29 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Dundee, United Kingdom
“An ok stay”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I stayed here for one night in December 2013. I arrived early evening after driving round trying to find it for a while. The roadsigns for the hotel use a different (previous?) name which is a bit confusing. I couldn't park at the hotel because the car park was full, luckily I was able to park elsewhere in Inverness for free through my work. Check-in was efficient, my room was spacious, warm and seemed to have been recently redecorated. The furniture was good and the bed was very comfortable. My bathroom was a bit tired but was very clean and had an excellent shower. The room looked over the street and there was a bit of noise in the early hours of the morning when the bars were closing. I ate an unremarkable, if expensive, burger at the hotel restaurant; service was reasonably quick. My only cause for complaint came about when I asked the front desk for an iron to be sent up to my room so I could iron my shirt for the next day. Despite asking a few times by phone and and at reception in person, no iron was forthcoming and I eventually gave up waiting for it to be "sent straight up" and went to bed. The next morning I put on my crumpled shirt and had a nondescript breakfast, although the waiting staff were all very quick and friendly. I checked-out quickly with no difficulties. Overall, I'd like to rate it as good but I don't feel should have to beg for an iron in a city centre hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the street!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am sorry that you did not get an iron when requested. I also apologise that you had difficulty in finding our car park, we have had some diversions in place recently due to the flood alleviation work taking place in Inverness but I would have hoped that the diversion was made clear to you.
I appreciate your constructive feedback and we will use this as we continually try to improve our service, I do hope that we can welcome you back in the future.
Fraser Peterkin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
orkney
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stayed Friday and Saturday night. Had a front facing room. Noise from pub opposite sounded like a nightclub in the room. Room was very cold. Called reception around 0100;electric convector heater sent up. 1st one had one leg with a metal bowl supporting the other end and was placed in a tight space between two cabinets -an unacceptable fire risk! 2nd heater battered and bashed with only the ends of the elements heating up but hey it took the chill off the room.. Spoke to lady on reception regarding the noise, only to be patronised with the explanation "This is a city hotel, you have to expect some city noise". This didn't go down well but wasn't the time to discuss how many cities I've stayed in.
Went to reception later in the morning. Person from during the night was unavailable spoke to person on reception, a credit to customer care. He quickly arranged for a change of room. This room was to the rear of the hotel and was as comfortable as would be expected...until around 9 when the parties started! Function downstairs helping to bring on premature hearing loss and supplemented with a party in the room opposite. Quietened down in the early hours of the morning.
Great location with easy access to the shops and restaurants unfortunately not going to realise its potential if only attracting party goers.
In summary, if you're there to party - excellent; if not then its like staying next to the neighbours from....

1 Thank andrew b
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am sorry to hear that it was not our usual standard. During December we do host a number of festive party nights and try our very best to make sure this doesn't affect other guests but obviously we did not get it right this time.
I do hope that this will not deter you from staying with us in the future, not every weekend is like the December weekends.
Fraser Peterkin

Travellers are raving about these Inverness hotels

highlands
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Just managed to get the last room as the hotel was so busy. We always stay here if possible and once again were not disappointed. Room excellent. Meals very good especially breakfast. Very nice friendly and helpful staff. If I had to find a complaint, which would be difficult, would be the price of wine in the restaurant. Far too expensive, so no one ordered any. Also £2.50 for a small bottle of water in the bar. Yes, £2.50. Overall - a very enjoyable stay.

Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us again and for sharing your views on Trip Advisor. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us again, it is always a pleasure to hear from regular guests.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.
Whitburn
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We visit Inverness every year around this time and always stay at this hotel since it was the Ramada Jarvis.

I guess time has taken its toll over the years however our room a rear facing one was fine. It was clean and fresh and looks ifit had been decorated recently. The sink in the bathroom was cracked and there was always a little water on the floor and assome something was leaking. I did not bother reporting this as it didnt really bother us.

We also had a problem with the TV where some channels didnt work or it would freeze, which I did report but dont think anything was done. Once again a minor annoyance.

Now for the positive side, it looks onto the river at the rear and you are right in the centre of the city at the front wihin a short walk to the shops, bars and resturants. It is really handy from that point of view and as we have beeen returning for at least 10 years its not put us of yet.

We also found out that they have started charging for the car park which is the first time we have noticed this. They didnt tell us the times for breakfast and its not advised in your room either. On our first morning we just made it and most of the food was not that fresh and another couple missed there breakfast as they were late. They were offered tea and toast.

Overall no major complaints but its not the place we first visited and may consider staying somewhere else if thing deteriorate,

Room Tip: Try to get a rear facing room as its quieter and better view.
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I appreciate your constructive feedback and please be assured that we are in the process of improving the Hotel so I hope that you will notice these changes if you choose to stay with us in the future.
I will share your comments with our team and I am sure they will use them to improve our service.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This is a typical chain hotel, but it is run well. From check in to check out, we had no problems apart from breakfast on Sunday, The staff struggled to keep up with what was obviously a very busy service, but this did not detract from our overall experience. Our room was on the 3rd. floor facing the front of the hotel. It can be quite noisy outside, but we found the double glazing stopped it intruding on our peace. The room was well sized with a king sized bed. The bathroom was adequate with a good shower. Only problem was the size of the wardrobe. Just Ok for a weekend, but not longer. Staff in all areas were very friendly and eager to help. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would happily return in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms to rear of hotel would be better for less noise and better views.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and review your stay, I appreciate your constructive feedback and this will be used as we constantly try to improve our service.
I must apologise if the service on Sunday was not as it normally is, unfortunately we had 2 members of staff let us down at the last minute so although the team did their very best I am aware that it was a struggle for them.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.
Falkirk
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed for 2 nights last weekend. This hotel is ideally located for the amenities. Good parking and central for shops, pubs etc. It is also clean and has a range of facilities, including a pool and gym. We were on the 5th floor. The hallway is shabby - dirty, old carpets and wallpaper. The room was large and clean with some storage for clothing. The decor is tired and dated, with flaking paint on the ceiling and a smell of damp. The bed is large, but not very comfortable with really poor pillows and a thin duvet. The room was freezing despite 2 small radiators. There was a small selection of tea, coffee etc but this was very limited. The bathroom was clean but dated, with a very chipped and discoloured bath and only 1 large towel provided between us. The leisure facilities were clean and adequate but very dated. Our biggest issue was the noise. On the Saturday night it was incessant from midnight through to about 5am - shouting, banging doors etc from other rooms in the corridor. Adult guests running up an ddown making a racket with no intervention from staff. We left on the Sunday having had next to no sleep. I felt this was a rather over priced and unsatisfactory experience.

Room Tip: Try the Premier Inn across the river!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I am sorry that you were not entirely satisfied with your stay. I do hope that you were given the opportunity to speak with our Guest Care Manager on check out or during your stay, if not please feel free to contact myself of my Operations Manager, Suzan Latto, direct at the Hotel to discuss the issues you had.
scotland uk
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Staying here in the Saturday before we went on holiday & had a face facing room. O well the noise was unreal, you would think the party was in your room. Called reception and someone came to check to see if windows were closed proper, OMG I do no how to close a window :-))) Yes they were but the noise was awful. In the morning on check out I raised the issue again as we had booked two nights on return from our holiday and could no cancel, well we could but would off lost our money. They admitted that you could here the noise in our room and I asked on our return visit to have a riverside room, they also offered us dinner vouchers or something on our return visit hmmmm. So we returned, upgraded too a riverside view fair enough quiter room but much smaller and the shower hmmm which does not work proper and the noise in the pipes is unbelievable. Their was no mention off vouchers towards dinner or anything else. On our second night that day I had treatment which I had too lie down & rest. Well I could not get my car parked, a resident and no space too park your car, I wasen't happy at all. Went to reception to raise my concern & like everything else they don't care. I even said so much for the dinner vouchers or something, nothing was mentioned. Well to be honest I did not want them as I will not be returning to this shambles off a hotel. I feel so sorry for our oversea visitors coming too this hotel. If you want to go out partying in Inverness yes stay here, if not avoid . Don't bother replying to this as I have read all your response to your other reviews & by what I can see your doing nothing too make this hotel better. Avoid people

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest
We always like the chance to make amends with guests and respond to their reviews, I would appreciate it if you would contact either myself or my Operations Manager, Suzan Latto, to discuss your stay.