“Not Nice”

Ranked #28 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Helenville
“Not Nice”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

There was no hot water in the bathroom sink and the bathroom shower didn't work. Also, the lifts would not operate and I had to walk to our room on the third floor with our carry on luggage. The breakfast was alright, but we would not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I am sorry to see that it did not meet your expectations or our usual standard. I do hope that the maintenance issues were reported and fixed during your stay, we did have an issue with our lifts recently where they had to be isolated for 30 minutes while the engineer repaired them but they are and have been fully operational outwith this period.
Fraser Peterkin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Inverurie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We booked a Privilege Room for a 3 night stay, the room was large with a huge bed, tea/coffee making available, flat screen TV (reception on TV channels was poor) and an en-suite with shower over bath. Now all this sounds absolutely great, which it would have been, had it been a river facing room, but this was a room looking onto Church Street and it was the noisiest room I have ever been in. The noise throughout the night made it impossible to sleep for any prolonged period, you could hear every spoken word from people passing and when the pubs/clubs emptied the noise went on and on for hours, shouting, screaming and singing. The double glazed windows are not the tightest of fits and what was laughingly called an acoustic vent did nothing. Avoid room 414 ask for a river facing room if you want some sleep.
Funnily the previous winner of our noisiest hotel room was a sister hotel in the Accor Group, the Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am sorry that the room you stayed in did not provide you with enough sound proofing from our city centre location. I appreciate your feedback and will use these as we continually try to improve our service.
Paris, France
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Good location in city centre but: very small car park and very noisy from the outside (simple glass windows) due to partying people and nextdoor building air conditionning
Service unfriendly: employees do not answer to your requests and do not apologize not to do so
Room and bathroom to be renovated/ refurbished: broken toilets flush, broken heater, noise from the corridor ...
Poor amenities: wifi connection too slow to browse the web, only 6 TV channels

Room Tip: Room 106 horrible, in particular noise from the conference rooms in the same corridor
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EliseM1986
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, please accept my sincere apologies that your stay fell below our normal standards and did not meet your expectations.
I will look into the issues you have mentioned and have them rectified as soon as possible.
Fraser Peterkin

Travellers are raving about these Inverness hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Hotel does not look great from the outside, but the rooms are very nice and beds are comfortable. This is all you need to visit the highlands from Fort George to Urquhart Castle and a tour around the shopping in inverness itself. We also visited the cinema just on the outskirts of the Inverness. Didn't try the food, but the bar is good and staff friendly. Only issue was cleaning staff trying to clean the room with a do not disturb sign on the door??? But other than that a good place.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to review your stay. I am pleased that you enjoyed our stay and found your room comfortable. Please accept my apologies for our House Keeping staff trying to clean your room, I will share your comments with them.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Location of this hotel is really great!! Just head of the street from railway station and central of the Inverness city near all shops and restaurants. There was good places to eat and drink near this hotel. The staff of this hotel was very friendly and offered their help to choose right tourist trip and they answered all our guestions. Really huge thanks to the nice staff!
Otherwise the hotels interior was little bit worn and our room was cold. The radiator was broken but there was smaller radiator in the room. Also WC s door was difficult to lock and water in the shower leaked on the floor. There was free wifi. Ok place if you want to sleep just the city central and enjoy the lovely views of Inverness.

Room Tip: Ask room for a higher floor and you will get nice view on the river Ness or the city center.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am delighted that our team were able to assist you and I appreciate your constructive feedback on the Hotel. We will take this into account as we continually try to improve our service.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I chose the Mercure Inverness mostly for its proximity to shops and restaurants. It's located right on the River Ness, which makes it the perfect location for walking to a few of Inverness' tourist attractions. This was also our jumping off point for a day trip to the Isle of Skye.

Our room was clean and spacious. The bathroom had incredible water pressure. Careful though, water comes out of the sink so fast that it tends to splatter your clothes. The rooms facing downtown can get a little noisy at night, especially on the weekends. My wife can fall asleep in almost any conditions, but the hooting and hollering and music and cars driving by kept me awake until well past 1:00am, then things started to calm down. The elevators were very finicky, tending to go up and down several times before arriving at the correct floor. According to a few other guests I spoke with, it seems like the elevators have had problems for quite some time.

All in all, the Mercure Inverness was decent enough, but it certainly could have been better.

Read my other reviews, complete with pictures:

Search "The Barbecue Fiend"

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing downtown unless you like tons of noise.
Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to review your stay. I appreciate your honest and constructive feedback, please be assured that this will be noted and taken into account while we continually try to improve our service.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I am in my room writing my review now, probably because of the massive disappointment that this hotel is. I have used various hotels of the Accor group on several continents (Ibis, Mercure and Sofitel). Usually even the older Accor hotels even when tired, are well thought through. I understand that until recently this was another chain hotel and I am suprised that Accor did not take the time to bring it up to their usual standard. It is obvious all the fixtures were put in with little care, the towel rail is coming off the wall, in the shower I could see a massive glob of whatever was used to fix the mirror. The sink would not be out of place in a museum! There are not enough power points in the room. Also there was a strong smell of bleach in the lobby and corridor. I usually book Mercure hotels when I feel like indulging myself when travelling solo and was looking forward to staying here. The two stars are for location and staff. Not worth the money I paid for.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us, I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this visit. We do have a lengthy programme of works planned for the Hotel in the future but I would hope that some of the issues you encountered were reported and rectified during your stay with us.
I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.