“An honest review, no punches pulled.”

Mercure Inverness Hotel
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed at the Mercure Inverness for two nights, one at either end of a business trip further north, along with other colleagues. My experiences are based on a room on the third floor, overlooking the river.
On arrival, I found the check in to be quick and easy, the staff bright, helpful and with an easily found sense of fun. The room itself was spacious, comfortable and impeccably clean. Being at the back of the hotel, I overlooked the river and had a pleasant view of Inverness which I found very agreeable. There were roadworks going on outside at the time which were a little intrusive with the window open, but almost inaudible once shut. This clearly had nothing to do with the hotel and was out of their control in any case, I mention it purely to highlight that despite the best efforts of sone people to find fault with every aspect of their stay, one has to be realistic.
If I had one slight issue with the room, it was the bath was showing signs of age, where the surface layer (enamel? Plastic? Not sure) had worn near the plug hole and gave the bath a tired appearance. Don't confuse this with dirty, because it wasn't at all. But I found the same in the second room I stayed in ( by coincidence next door to the first) so I think, Mercure, maybe a program of updating might be in order?
Wifi worked fine, as did all the fixtures and fittings. It's not the quickest connection I've ever had, but it works and was perfectly adequate.
The food was excellent, and the serving staff efficient without being intrusive.

Now, to be balanced, I have to mention that some of my colleagues were put in rooms on the front side of the hotel, which overlooks the main road. There were some issues with noisy pub goers in the street late at night, which again, is not the fault of, or controllable by, the hotel. This is after all, a town centre location, so it's almost inevitable that sort of disruption could occur. My suggestion is, forewarned being forearmed, that where possible, try to ask for a room overlooking the river to counter this. There is a pub nearby that opens till 3am, and pub goers do walk along the riverbank, but they are sufficiently far enough away that their noise is massively less intrusive to the back rooms.
I would have no hesitation in staying here again, or recommending it. The only aspect I cannot comment on, and have therefore gone "average" with, is value for money. My company booked the room and prepaid the bill both times, so I have no idea of the cost factor.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Bigmatt1724
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your honest, helpful and constructive review of your recent stays with us. I appreciate your feedback and please be assured it will be used as we continually try to improve our service.
I do hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel was beautiful in a historic building, done very nice. The staff do what they can within the tools they have at their fingertips, BUT...unless you are a plummer (No water pressure - shower was awful) or a cable guy (tv reception was even worse), then you must be a wireless tech because all those comfort services were beyond horrible. The room was over priced, but clean and comfortable. You must weigh your needs and wants before staying here. Hope this helps save a few.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to review your stay, I am sorry that we did not get everything right during your stay. I do hope that these issues were resolved if you reported them to our 24 hour Reception team.
Please be assured that your feedback will be used as we continually try to improve our service.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Had 4 days with the family over Easter. Very central to all tourist spots. Service was good. Used meeting room facilities for business as well, which were okay. Breakfast was good, although the restaurant options at other times within the hotel were limited.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to review your stay, I appreciate your feedback and will use this as we continually try to improve our service.
I am glad that you were able to use our central location as a base for sightseeing around the Highlands.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Just returned from 2 night B&B in this hotel charging exorbitant prices for poor out-of-date accommodation. Unfortunately I was unable to make alternative last minute arrangements. No problem with friendly, pleasant staff nor excellent location. Pity about the interior decor - badly needing TLC and a major upgrade. This is NOT a modern place as advertised, yet prepared to charge top prices for substandard hotel provision. Will NOT return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, as you are aware I am dealing with your issues by email.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hotel is very close to railway station in a central location. Seems to be surrounded by bars and very noisy from early sunday afternoon until late at night, fine if you are on a stag or hen party trip. Room was comfy, good bedding and towels, bathroom bit tired but clean.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and also for taking the time to review your stay, I appreciate your constructive feedback and while our city centre location is ideal for the train station etc it does bring with it some noise disruption from our lively city centre.
I am glad that you found your room to be clean and comfortable and hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a few days holiday with my 82 year disabled Aunt and my wife. The staff at this Hotel are really great and very helpful and look after you as best as they can. The Hotel is a very busy commercial hotel situated in the centre of Inverness so expect it to be busy with all sorts happening from tours to conferences, plus many business people from commerce and industry.

The bedrooms are fine and if you are lucky enough to get one over looking the river all the better.
The Hotel was built some thirty years ago and therefor the public rooms need to be refurbished they are rather "70s" commercial but they are clean and as I said the staff are attentive. The big problem is for those unfortunate people who have disabilities only a few of the bedrooms have doors wide enough to take a wheel chair and those that do are converted small conference rooms, and the one my aunt had only had a strip window near the ceiling so it was very dark and she found it to warm and with no real windows she could not get enough air. The Hotel did supply her with a fan to help cool the room which was kind but I can not recomend this hotel for those with disabilities.
Food was very average and the carvery catered only for budget coach tours So do not expect a meal to remember. The down sides of the hotel was certainly kept to a minimum by the hard working staff. SPEND SOME MONEY ON THE PLACE MERCURE!

Room Tip: If you are disabled this is not the hotel for you.