“Worst in Inverness”

Mercure Inverness Hotel
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

As a regular boarder in the Inverness area I booked in here for the first time due to demand elsewhere. This was the most expensive room I have been charged in the area.

Cracking location wasted on the hotel. The fabric of the building was awful and some housekeeping standards were very poor.

On plus side the bed was comfy and the staff service was pleasant, particularly on reception.

My room was on the 5th floor. The bath was ancient and dirty. I wasn't in best mood on reaching my room having had the lift doors open to be greeted by 2 wet floor signs, 3 buckets of water, a wet carpet smell and water running through the roof which continued all evening. Not a mention or warning of this from anyone.

I considered contacting reception but on checking Tripadvisor realised that every other negative comment is met with defensive excuses by a management team conspicuous by absence during the stay. I felt embarrassed for the many tourists whose stay in this beautiful city may be tainted by a stay at Mercure.

I will be sharing my photos with the hotels head office.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank 1314queens
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Guest,
I am sorry that your stay fell below our normal standards and did not meet your expectations. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you, if you would like to contact myself or my Operations Manager, Suzan Latto, at the Hotel then this would be appreciated.
Fraser Peterkin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,255)

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Unusually I did not read the reviews on here prior to my visit this week. Having now done so it does make me realise how extremely high people's expectations are these days, especially when I hear about complaints to do with seagulls and Scots enjoying their leisure time in the city!

From the outside this hotel is not the most attractive building, I have to admit. I am guessing it replaced an earlier building and was built at a time when we were not overly concerned with architecture. However, inside is a different story.
I had a room overlooking the river, with a fabulous view. The room size was perfectly adequate as was the bathroom. Perhaps some of the guests who think the rooms are small should stay in some London hotels where rooms are little more than cupboards.
The restaurant and bar also have great views and as I was staying alone I was able to enjoy the views and watch the world go by whilst I enjoyed good quality food and drink.
It was the hottest day of the year so far when I stayed, but I didn't even notice there was no air con. I didn't miss it, but was able to open my window. Yes, I could hear the seagulls, which I found quite charming.
All the staff were very friendly and professional at all times. Sadly I don't visit Inverness very often, but when I do, I will stay here.

Thank you.

Room Tip: The river side (Ness Bank) does have great views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Geoff S

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I am delighted that you enjoyed your short visit. I appreciate your honest, realistic feedback and hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a group tour. The carpets seemed dirty and the tiny bathroom had difficult plumbing. The room had warning labels in several places. "Leave bathroom door closed as steam from shower can set off the smoke alarms." Also, "this window is locked for your security." We were on an upper floor, and with NO AC and a heat wave, we can't even open the window?? They did being a fan, but it was still uncomfortable. The breakfast was adequate but not tasty. It was extremely loud, and we were woken twice during the night with fights in the parking lot.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank SoccerTeamMom
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I am sorry to hear that your visit with us was not entirely satisfactory. Our windows all open on a tilt system but do not open fully to comply with Health & Safety regulations, I understand this can be uncomfortable but I am glad our team were able to help by providing a fan. My sincere apologies that your sleep was disturbed by people outside the Hotel, we do regular patrols of all areas to try to ensure this does not happen and I will ensure your comments are passed to our Night team.
I do hope that you enjoyed the rest of your tour.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

The hotel is suitably located, being right in town and less than 5 minute walk from the railway station.
The staff are friendly and helpful.
I found the room to be very comfortable, although the rooms would benefit from air conditioning.
There is also a gym/ pool down stairs.
Straight outside the front door there are pubs and shops and to the rear there is the river.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and took advantage of our facilities and city centre location.
I do hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Although this hotel is somewhat dated it is located in a nice spot next to the river. The room was clean but small. Our room was located over the high street and we found out that Scots like to party on Sunday night. The night club down the road was very noisy. We only stayed one night. If we went back we'd stay on the river side of the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room on the river side of the hotel. The high street side is very noisy at night.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and for taking the time to review your stay. I am glad that you enjoyed your short visit and hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Our entry into Inverness revealed a Mercure located in the middle of the town and close to eat spots and most other things as well as Loch Ness within close walking or driving distance.

Our family was a little pricey being 140 quid but it was central and the beds were soft and clean and the room was nice and spacious and clean as well. A good sized bathroom which had good hot water and accompanying soaps and shampoos was welcome after a long day driving.

The only problem (if I can put it that way) is that the Inverness council REALLY needs to cull those damn seagulls that crap EVERYWHERE. Every building, window, footpath and car is covered in seagull bombing that looks like a bucket of ice cream when it hits it's target, and that's very frequent, apart from that and the feathered sky pirates waking everybody in the town up at daybreak as they fight, it was a really pleasant stay.

The staff were good, the room and fittings were good and apart from the price which we felt a little expensive, it was a great stopover.

Would I stay here again? If the seagull is considered a national pest and culled, it will be high on the list...

Room Tip: We had a quad room on the fifth floor which was very spacious, no real problems encountered.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to review your visit, I am glad that the Hotel was able to suit your needs and you enjoyed your stay with us.
The local gulls are an issue for us, the local council have been working on reducing the numbers and hopefully we will start to see a difference soon.