“Great location spoiled by unfortunate experience in car park and management inability to address”

Mercure Inverness Hotel
Ranked #28 of 34 Hotels in Inverness

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
Cardiff
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We booked into the Mercure as a bit of a treat whilst spending a few days travelling the highlands with my partners family from New Zealand. We had booked 2 double rooms for 2 nights and were looking forward to exploring Inverness from a city centre location. The room we were given was absolutely tiny with a double bed pushed up against the wall so it was difficult to climb in and out of bed at night without waking my partner. The bathroom was also very small and the plumbing made a hell of a racquet at night......and the toilet bubbled continuously.

I asked at reception if it was possible to move to another room for our second night and luckily we were moved......the size of this double room didn't even compare to the tiny room we were in the previous night so I'm unsure how the hotel can advertise double rooms which are so different and charge the same price!? Apart from the noisy seagulls this room was fine......much more space and a bigger bed!

We went for dinner in the restaurant which didn't have much of a menu......the portions were small and the steaks weren't served with the peppercorn sauce that was advertised on the menu and the salads had no dressing. I informed the waitress who didn't do anything about it!

The hotel breakfast was ok......the usual continental and hot breakfast.....a bit pricy at £10 per head but lots of it so I won't complain about that!

I also think that he car parking should have been included in the room rate as what use is a hotel in the highlands without a car park!

I'm usually not one to complain but thought this hotel could do with a bit of a shake up as the Mercure is a fantastic brand that is being let down by this one hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jigg
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and share your constructive feedback. I believe we have already discussed your stay but once again my sincere apologies that we let you down.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is what's right: Lovely staff, reasonable breakfast, good location, excellent and free wi fi.
This is what's wrong: Noise - Our first room on the town side was plagued by loud music from a nearby pub, seagulls and drunks. We asked to be moved to the river side where there was no pub but we still had drunks and seagulls and also loud voices (Russian, Polish?) from the bin area directly below our room, and slamming doors.
We were on the fifth floor where all the rooms are fitted with deathtrap doors. They are extremely narrow (about half normal size) and set on vicious springs. It is impossible to close the door quietly. In order to enter the room one person has to step sideways into the bathroom. If you are in any way frail do not take one of these rooms! If you are fat - do not take one of these rooms - you will get stuck in the narrow entrance corridor. You need to be strong to open the door and it is impossible to hold it open for any length of time. When the guy next door slams his door, our bed shakes! The lifts were not working on day one (phew!) and the roof sprang a leak. There are still buckets and bad smells on the 5th floor on day four of our stay. The heating is an ancient radiator with no in-room controls and there is no fan or air-conditioner. The carpets are stained and very tired and generally the hotel looks tired and run down - which is how I felt after a few nights here. I would avoid like the plague!

Room Tip: we tried and it didn't work!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank justjennie1
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, please accept my sincere apologies that your stay did not meet your expectations and fell below our normal standards.
We did experience a technical issue with our lifts but this was dealt with as quickly as possible and they were back running as normal. We have been carrying out some extensive repair work on our roof but I am please to say this is now completed and there are no further leaks. I appreciate all your constructive feedback and will use this as we continually try to improve our service.
Fraser Peterkin

Travellers are raving about these Inverness hotels

Timbuktu, Mali
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on business in March. The staff were very attentive and a real credit to the hotel. Room was sufficient, but hadn't seen a duster in a while. Breakfast was good. Spa facilities were tired jaccuzi out of service. Great location, great potential if there was a little investment.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I appreciate your constructive and positive feedback. We will use this as we continually try to improve our service.
I do hope that we can welcome you back in the future.
Stirling
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

As a regular boarder in the Inverness area I booked in here for the first time due to demand elsewhere. This was the most expensive room I have been charged in the area.

Cracking location wasted on the hotel. The fabric of the building was awful and some housekeeping standards were very poor.

On plus side the bed was comfy and the staff service was pleasant, particularly on reception.

My room was on the 5th floor. The bath was ancient and dirty. I wasn't in best mood on reaching my room having had the lift doors open to be greeted by 2 wet floor signs, 3 buckets of water, a wet carpet smell and water running through the roof which continued all evening. Not a mention or warning of this from anyone.

I considered contacting reception but on checking Tripadvisor realised that every other negative comment is met with defensive excuses by a management team conspicuous by absence during the stay. I felt embarrassed for the many tourists whose stay in this beautiful city may be tainted by a stay at Mercure.

I will be sharing my photos with the hotels head office.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank 1314queens
Dear Guest,
I am sorry that your stay fell below our normal standards and did not meet your expectations. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you, if you would like to contact myself or my Operations Manager, Suzan Latto, at the Hotel then this would be appreciated.
Yorkshire
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Unusually I did not read the reviews on here prior to my visit this week. Having now done so it does make me realise how extremely high people's expectations are these days, especially when I hear about complaints to do with seagulls and Scots enjoying their leisure time in the city!

From the outside this hotel is not the most attractive building, I have to admit. I am guessing it replaced an earlier building and was built at a time when we were not overly concerned with architecture. However, inside is a different story.
I had a room overlooking the river, with a fabulous view. The room size was perfectly adequate as was the bathroom. Perhaps some of the guests who think the rooms are small should stay in some London hotels where rooms are little more than cupboards.
The restaurant and bar also have great views and as I was staying alone I was able to enjoy the views and watch the world go by whilst I enjoyed good quality food and drink.
It was the hottest day of the year so far when I stayed, but I didn't even notice there was no air con. I didn't miss it, but was able to open my window. Yes, I could hear the seagulls, which I found quite charming.
All the staff were very friendly and professional at all times. Sadly I don't visit Inverness very often, but when I do, I will stay here.

Thank you.

Room Tip: The river side (Ness Bank) does have great views.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Geoff S
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I am delighted that you enjoyed your short visit. I appreciate your honest, realistic feedback and hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Panama City, Florida, United States
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a group tour. The carpets seemed dirty and the tiny bathroom had difficult plumbing. The room had warning labels in several places. "Leave bathroom door closed as steam from shower can set off the smoke alarms." Also, "this window is locked for your security." We were on an upper floor, and with NO AC and a heat wave, we can't even open the window?? They did being a fan, but it was still uncomfortable. The breakfast was adequate but not tasty. It was extremely loud, and we were woken twice during the night with fights in the parking lot.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank SoccerTeamMom
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I am sorry to hear that your visit with us was not entirely satisfactory. Our windows all open on a tilt system but do not open fully to comply with Health & Safety regulations, I understand this can be uncomfortable but I am glad our team were able to help by providing a fan. My sincere apologies that your sleep was disturbed by people outside the Hotel, we do regular patrols of all areas to try to ensure this does not happen and I will ensure your comments are passed to our Night team.
I do hope that you enjoyed the rest of your tour.