“Tired hotel in a good location”

Mercure Inverness Hotel
Ranked #28 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Manitoba
“Tired hotel in a good location”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I was there in July on a very rainy day. Obviously upgrades and repairs cannot always be made instantly. It was disappointing to see pails in various locations to catch rain coming in through ceilings. The hotel is very nice (but the room was the smallest on my trip which surprised me for a semi-rural location. The room was though, very nice). It's to be hoped that the hotel will get repairs completed soon to make a better impression.
The restaurant was very nice. This hotel is situated in a very good location (although I heard from several that people outside were quite loud - this is not the hotels' fault - it's just Inverness! I would be willing to stay here again. My primary concern is safety and cleanliness. Very good location - I went for 3 walks in my one night stay. Inverness itself is a beautiful city.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and provide us with some positive and constructive feedback. We have had an ongoing issue with our roof but this has since been repaired.
I am delighted that you were able to enjoy our beautiful city, we are lucky enough to have some great walks around the Hotel that our guests can enjoy safely.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.
Fraser Peterkin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Mercure Hotel in Inverness this weekend as we were attending Belladrum with our new baby. We received excellent customer service from Laura upon our arrival. We were too early to check in and didn't want to take our bags to the festival so left them at reception. Which was great as we did not travel light!
When we returned from the festival our bags/pram had been put in our room.
Checking in was really easy and the girl (I didn't catch her name, sorry) was really informative.
We loved the room. Our room was really spacious which was ideal with the baby and everything we needed for him. We had a great view of the river. Our bed was so comfortable. The tea and coffee selection was great.
The only negative thing was the shower which wasn't really an issue as it still worked. The bracket attaching it to the wall had came loose but I was able to reattach it very easily.
A fridge would have been good to keep the baby milk in but it wasn't a big deal.
Breakfast was your normal buffet items. Everything we had was delicious.

Stayed August 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to review your visit. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope you had a fantastic weekend at Belladrum. Our team will appreciate your comments as they work very hard to try to ensure every guest has a great experience and this is not always recognised.
I do hope that we can welcome you back in the future.
Swansea
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Car parking is a pain, the tradesmen take them all up.

Otherwise just let reception know your reg and it's free.

Central location great for a walk and take in the sites. Not far from the train station.

It's under going some renovation but it looks good so far.

I noticed on the 3rd floor by the lifts a spider had caught something I assumed this would be gone after work by the "cleaners" 3 days later still there.

The carpets are highly worn and in need of replacement on the stair case.

No air con in the room so open window to be bombarded with the local chavs with there loud exhausts so I resorted to being cooked.

Overall a massively overpriced hotel and I'm a regular Le Accor stayer can't see me rushing back here.

I'll end on a positive. Which saved you having a 3* last morning slept in due to a rough sweaty lack of sleep. Was running late to which they kept breakfast on for me without any hesitation. Excellent customer service!!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank D11EVS
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and provide us with some constructive feedback, we are undergoing some improvements at the moment but I appreciate your comments and will use this as we continually try to improve our service.
Manchester
Reviewed 2 August 2014

As Accor hotel regulars, our night’s room price (£175 - more than we’d ever spent before anywhere), and the Inverness Mercure being close to top of Inverness Trip Advisor hotel rankings when we booked in January, we had high expectations of our stay at this hotel.

While not terrible, it turned out to be a big disappointment, and very surprising given the generally excellent standards of the Accor group.

The plus bits:

The riverside location is very central, 5 minutes walk to both train and bus stations, and the Victorian market. The room was a fair size, bed comfortable, and when we were there a nice swimming pool – though we understand this will soon to close permanently.

The minus bits:

Our room, facing the main street (not the river), was the noisiest we’ve ever stayed in with street bars and drunken groups rowdy to the small hours along with hyperactive seagulls. We really struggled getting to sleep. The cheap double glazing simply isn’t adequate to block out the noise and need replacing and/or have added sound insulation, as most city hotels have. The bathroom was also very small and dated.

The whole hotel has a very tired - if not exhausted - feel to it: worn carpets, ageing and loose fittings and furnishings, including the dining room, giving a gloomy feel reminiscent of former Soviet Union hotels we’ve visited. This includes the exterior too, especially the riverside frontage that is frankly a bit of an eyesore. It felt to us as if the management had given up on looking after it.

But the most surprising thing was the dirt – we’re usually reasonably tolerant on these things, but so much of the public areas were evidently only patchily cleaned, including the brass stair rails, and very notably the weeks (?)-old ingrained dark grime on the doors leading to the toilets in the lobby - all in full view of the reception desk. We couldn’t understand how any manager could let this happen, and were even tempted to go and by some cleaner and do the job ourselves. But we had better things to do!

While breakfast was OK the overall standard and presentation of food again had a bit of a Soviet era feel to it – nothing like the standard we’ve experienced in other Mercures, Novotels etc.

Our next night's stay was at the Mercure Edinburgh, which was very good. So a real mystery as to why the Mercure Inverness has got into this state: we definitely would not stay here again or recommend it to anyone unless it was completely renovated.

Room Tip: Riverside view if you can get it (they were all booked up when we were there despite our early booki...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David Lee
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, please accept my sincere apologies that your stay did not meet your expectations or our usual standards. Please be assured that we will use this feedback as we continually try to improve our service.
I do believe that you have discussed this with our Guest Care Manager and a partial refund was agreed, if this is not the case then please contact us directly to discuss your stay.
Fraser Peterkin

Travellers are raving about these Inverness hotels

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 2 August 2014

It is the people that makes the hotel.
Special mention super staff Ms Laura and Mr James from Reception desk.
The hotel does need some maintenance, but still manageable.
The location in a busy area, can become little noisy during the night time.

Room Tip: higher floor facing the river
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to review your stay.
I am glad that you enjoyed your visit to Inverness and will use you constructive feedback as we continually try to improve our service.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.
Cardiff
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We booked into the Mercure as a bit of a treat whilst spending a few days travelling the highlands with my partners family from New Zealand. We had booked 2 double rooms for 2 nights and were looking forward to exploring Inverness from a city centre location. The room we were given was absolutely tiny with a double bed pushed up against the wall so it was difficult to climb in and out of bed at night without waking my partner. The bathroom was also very small and the plumbing made a hell of a racquet at night......and the toilet bubbled continuously.

I asked at reception if it was possible to move to another room for our second night and luckily we were moved......the size of this double room didn't even compare to the tiny room we were in the previous night so I'm unsure how the hotel can advertise double rooms which are so different and charge the same price!? Apart from the noisy seagulls this room was fine......much more space and a bigger bed!

We went for dinner in the restaurant which didn't have much of a menu......the portions were small and the steaks weren't served with the peppercorn sauce that was advertised on the menu and the salads had no dressing. I informed the waitress who didn't do anything about it!

The hotel breakfast was ok......the usual continental and hot breakfast.....a bit pricy at £10 per head but lots of it so I won't complain about that!

I also think that he car parking should have been included in the room rate as what use is a hotel in the highlands without a car park!

I'm usually not one to complain but thought this hotel could do with a bit of a shake up as the Mercure is a fantastic brand that is being let down by this one hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jigg
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and share your constructive feedback. I believe we have already discussed your stay but once again my sincere apologies that we let you down.