“disappointed”

Mercure Inverness Hotel
Ranked #28 of 35 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed here due to being very let down by another hotel and every other hotel in area fully booked cost us an absolute fortune, breakfast was extra, had to pay to watch anything descent on TV wifi very poor and charged extra to park in the hotel carpark, had to cut our family break short an absolute disgrace.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Brian G
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, I am sincerely sorry that it did not meet your expectations. It was an unfortunate situation for you to be in so late in the evening and on such a busy night but I appreciate your feedback. I also apologise for the confusion with our TV, as discussed previously it is only the movies that are an extra charge, all other channels are free of charge.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Inverness Hotel

Reviewed 18 August 2014

My husband and I decided to have a few days away in Inverness and decided to book The Mercure for our stay. Two nights B&B with dinner on one of the evenings.
On arrival at the car park we were slightly concerned as it appeared to be that we needed to pay for the parking which seemed quite expensive if we were parking overnight for the two day break - however when we checked in at the hotel reception Laura the receptionist explained that the hotel take a note of your car number and you are not charged . Laura was very efficient and friendly while remaining professional. She explained where things were - checked which evening we would prefer to have the dinner - how the dinner choices of £22 each towards our meal worked - basically £22 per person credit against what we ordered. We decided to eat in the hotel the first evening as we had travelled most of the day and were happy to relax for the evening.

After check in we went to drop off our bags in our room. The room was front street facing although the hotel did have acoustic vented windows that is supposed to reduce the street noise should you want it. The room was large very clean and we were genuinely pleased as we were aware before we booked that the hotel was going through some refurbishment. So all in all first impressions were excellent.

We decided to have a pre dinner drink in the bar before our evening meal. The view from the bar is okay as it looks onto the car park but in fairness also looks across the river which is lovely when it gets darker and the lights from the other side of the river show the view to its advantage.

On entering the restaurant we were met by a rather nice young lady called Roisin who took us to our table and checked if we wanted water, drinks etc. I decided to take the £22 fixed 3 course menu which I found to be lovely (main course from buffet) and my husband ate of the main menu- with full table service - all in all the meal was really lovely, service was excellent - the meal was on par with The Mustard Seed a well at a known restaurant along the road from the hotel which we used on the second evening as we had pre booked having been before.

Breakfast was also rather pleasant with another nice young lady called Rochelle explaining how the breakfast buffet worked and where all the various components were laid out. Everything you would expect or need for a day ahead of touring and enjoying the sights.

So far everything about the hotel service, cleanliness and staff efficiency and friendliness could not be faulted.

I would definitely recommend this hotel with one point to note. The front facing room(and I note from other reviews) on the Friday and Saturday night is really noisy until 2am with Inverness revellers. I assume Monday to Thursday evening as most cities won't be too bad. So if you are not someone who can sleep through this level of noise I would recommend a room at the back.

I think to be fair to the hotel it locks it's doors at 11:00 ish in the evening and you require to use your room key to get in which takes care of security and they have attempted to address the noise with the acoustic windows.

I think the noise level should be dealt with by the Inverness tourist board and the local licensing authority rather than blame the hotel for unfortunately being near these bars especially as it is in an excellent city location - apart from the noisy bars close by.

I would still recommend this hotel if you are going to Inverness -

Room Tip: Rooms on front at weekend noisy- probably best to try to book rear of hotel and definitely higher fl...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank crawford4

Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and for taking the time to review your stay.
I am glad that you enjoyed your visit and I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Staff very friendly & helpful, food good & facilities fine. Didn't stay overnight so didn't see rooms, but conference facilities were ok. Perhaps a little tired-looking compared to newer hotels. Nice view over the river from the restaurant though.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit with us, glad to hear you enjoyed your training day and I appreciate your constructive feedback.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

This was a nice hotel with friendly staff. It is a bit worn and dated but it was clean and comfortable.

The noise from High Street was loud especially on Saturday evening. The seagulls make a racket starting at dawn. We had cold rainy weather so perhaps that is why the pubs were quiet when we were there. I suggest earplugs for a good night's sleep.

I found the bathrooms to be very small and the shower didn't have enough water pressure. In one of our rooms the TV didn't work and one light bulb was smashed. The staff was prompt to make repairs but the TV never did work quite right. The hotel restaurant was average and you can get better food and prices in nearby restaurants. The breakfast (included in our room price) was average but convenient.

The wifi was extremely slow. Apparently you can use the TV to access the Internet but we couldn't figure out how it worked.

The hotel is close to restaurants and shopping and a few touristy areas. It is very close to the train and bus stations.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the "river side" because the rooms facing High Street can be noisy at nig...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to review your visit.
I appreciate your constructive feedback and we will use this as we continually try to improve our service.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Stayed here five nights in July with a group, so can't comment on cost value. However, while we were there it was incredibly hot. No air conditioning, which we were told is usually not needed. However, temperatures outside were so warm that the rooms were extremely hot. Windows could only be opened a little. The management did purchase fans and gave us one to use, which made it bearable to sleep. Because the windows were open at night, we also were forced to listen to the rowdy folks in the pubs...shouting until the wee hours of the morning. The elevator was out of order for 24 hours and we were forced to climb 3 flights of steps multiple times. The breakfast food and evening meals were average quality. Location was good because it was within a short walking distance to the train and bus stations.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LovAntiq
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I appreciate you constructive feedback and we will use this as we continue to try to improve our service.
My sincere apologies that our lift was out of order for part of your stay, this was rectified as quickly as possible but I understand the inconvenience this caused.
I do hope that you enjoyed the rest of your tour.

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is bizarre. First let me say I was here on a tour, so I can't speak to the value of the place. It's a very old building. Old elevators, old fire doors, old facade. But on entering the room all of the furniture is brand new. And during my required inspection of the mattress, bedding and surrounding area, I discovered something incredible. The place is spotless. I've done many such inspections, and this place is at the top for cleanliness. So it's a bizarre place because the bones are so old and creaky, but it's unbelievably clean. I was surprised.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eliza P
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I am glad that you enjoyed your visit and noticed our high level of cleanliness. I will share your comments with our House Keeping department, they do work very hard to ensure the guest experience is good and will appreciate your feedback.
We are currently working through a lengthy programme of work within the Hotel but I appreciate your constructive thoughts.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

If you can get by on four hours' sleep a night, don't mind staying in a very basic and tired room and don't object to paying £200+ per night then this is the place for you. The nearby clubs and pubs make a racket until midnight and the seagulls on neighbouring vacant buildings make a racket from 4am - and I mean A RACKET!!! And of course let's not forget the drunken revellers in the streets below shouting at the tops of their voices. If NOISE is a problem for you then you can always wander the streets at night like some hotel guests did! If you have any valuables don't expect to keep them in the broken safe in your room. Get into the shower, turn on the water and turn the knob from bath to shower and watch as the freezing cold water shoots up the bathroom wall. And of course when the machinery heating the water breaks down you can always use someone else's bathroom, as suggested by reception. Under no circumstances pay in advance thinking you're getting a better deal - we found ourselves locked in for three terrible nights. Extremely poor value for money and not what you expect from the Accor Hotel Group. But look on the bright side, if you are a hippy who never washes and is always off his head on drink and drugs then you may not notice the staggeringly poor quality offered by this hotel - alternatively you can go to the local youth hostel and get better conditions and save yourself some £200 a night.

Room Tip: 'LOUD' should read 'GLASTONBURY LOUD' so go to another hotel!!!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FatmanJim

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I do wish we had been given the opportunity to rectify some of these issues while you were staying with us but if you would like to discuss this in more detail then please do contact me or my Operations Manager, Suzan Latto, directly at the Hotel.
Please accept my sincere apologies that your stay did not meet your expectations or our usual standard.