“Service cannot be beaten...the best hotel we have stayed in!”
Review of Culloden House

Culloden House
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 30 March 2011

From the moment we arrived (and upgraded to a suite) to the moment we departed, we had the most amazing service. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. The food is unbelieveable! We have eaten at Claridges (Mr Ramsey I feel you have some stiff competition) but the food at Culloden certainly gave them a run for their money! I'm guessing the Hotel has not been renovated for some time (dusty pink walls and carpets etc) but as they look after it so well, it looks in great condition. The staff truly are this hotels crowning glory and I understand they are all local and have been with the hotel for many, many years. Many of the UK's Hotels are often let down by poor, disinterested staff and inconsistent food...However, The Culloden House Hotel excels in these areas and it really makes a huge difference between having an ok stay where you may come back, to a fantastic stay where we will definitely be back.
Honestly, I don't work there..ha ha. I was just so impressed. If you're staying in Inverness, don't bother looking around..if you can afford it, check into the Culloden House Hotel. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WLT44
There are newer reviews for Culloden House

Reviewed 5 March 2011

My family treated myself and my husband to this hotel as a joint birthday present. To say we had a great time is an understatement.
When we arrived we were met at the steps and our bag was taken for me while my husband parked the car. We checked in and were showed to our suite number 15, when I found the ability to close my mouth all I could say was wow. The room it self was large with a big bed that for once my 6'3" husband fitted into with ease and it was so comfy. Our suite had a large bathroom and it's own living area with a fire in the fireplace.

After relaxing with a bottle of wine we dressed for dinner. Dinner was a five course delight. We both had a cauliflower amuse bouch which I could of had a bowl of it was that nice. For starters I had wild mushroom risotto and my husband had the scallops both were to die for. Next was cranberry and vodka ice a prefect palette cleanser. For main I had the fillet of beef and my husband had the sea bass again we couldn't fault the course at all. After a wee rest we had cheese and oatcakes with coffee.
We then relaxed in the bar after admiring the array of fine whisky's that the culloden House offer.
After a lovely sleep we had breakfast.
We both opted for the cooked breakfast of poached egg, bacon, black pudding, sausage and mushrooms. This was a quality breakfast not greasy at all with ample toast, tea, coffee, and lots more if you wished.

Our bag was carried out to the car and when we left we felt relaxed and wished we were staying another night.

Will we be back certainly yes, I would love this as a christmas/birthday present next year.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2010

My husband and I had the pleasure of spending two evenings at this guest house and it was fantastic from start to finish. We were greeted at the door as we arrived by Murray who helped us in with our luggage and then parked our car for us once he saw us to our room.

We arrived later than expected, but Murray had the kitchen staff stay a little late to prepare dinner for us. He invited us into the lounge for a drink before dinner and was able to speak very knowledgeably about the various Whisky's of the region.

The dinner was traditional Scottish fare (not our favorite) but was well prepared and tasty. The service really made the meal more than the food.

Our room was very large and comfortable. There was free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, including the rooms. Murray had lit our fireplace for us before we arrived so that our room was a comfortable temperature.

We slept very well, as the bed was comfortable and the hotel is very quiet.

The next morning, we had a wonderful breakfast in our room and then set off for sightseeing in the area. The front desk staff was very helpful with recommendations, directions and tour brochures. The proximity of this hotel to Culloden Battlefield and exhibition center is also nice.

On our last night, we mentioned to Murray that we had heard that the hotel was on the original foundation of the Culloden House that played a part in the famous battle by housing the leader of the Jacobites before the fateful battle, and Murray offered to show us the cellars himself. Above and Beyond!

When we were ready to check out, Stephen, the manager himself, actually took our bags out to our car, bought it around, cleared it of snow and had it warm and waiting for us.

Everything about this hotel was fantastic.. but I must say that my favorite part was the customer service.. really, no detail was ignored and we felt as if we were the most important guests in the hotel for our entire stay. We were sad when it was time to leave and will definitely be back!

Reviewed 21 November 2010

Wonderful hotel – fantastic staff!

We held our wedding reception and evening celebration at Culloden House in September 2010 and all we can say is that our experience was magnificent. Murray (Deputy Manager) made sure that every detail was covered and was on hand throughout the whole planning period to answer any queries we had and to make suggestions along the way. Culloden don’t do wedding ‘packages’ as such and for us this was such a relief; we never felt that we were being dictated to but were free to choose our own menu etc. just the way we wanted it.

On the day everything ran extremely smoothly with Murray and his team on hand to look after ourselves and our guests in such a professional, efficient and yet friendly manner. Even when my wife and I wanted to extend the time we were having photographs taken (there was a break in the rain!) this presented no problem to the staff who happily worked around our needs.

The meal was served with the minimum of fuss and despite the fact that we had selected three different starters mains and desserts for our guests to choose all our guests received their choices extremely quickly. The food itself was of a very high quality and a credit to the chef and kitchen staff. We have nothing but praise for the way things were organised and run throughout the whole day.

All in all the staff and management at Culloden helped to make our wedding day a huge success and our guests couldn’t agree more; we had so many compliments on our choice of venue and on the friendliness of all the staff. We cannot recommend this hotel highly enough not only for their wedding service but for the rooms, food and excellent staff.

Thank you Murray, thank you Culloden!

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 20 November 2010

I have just returned from a few days of my honeymoon spent at Culloden House and it really could not have been improved upon. The hotel actually surpassed our expectations from the website, which is rare in my experience. Every single member of staff was superb, friendly and helpful, and made our stay a pleasure. If you are looking for a romantic or relaxing hotel in a beautiful location and with a great restaurant, I could not recommend anywhere more highly.

Reviewed 18 November 2010

We stayed in a huge two bedroom family suite, with its own outside door as well - very helpful if you don't want to have the children racing through reception in their wellies. The rooms were beautiful, solid, old-fashioned furniture, proper beds for the children and windows that really open. The garden is lovely and will be lovelier still as the walled garden matures in the next few years. Staff inside and out were very pleasant. Food was excellent and the special early supper we ordered for the children was beautifully served and very reasonably priced.
The decor may be a little dated in places, but what does that matter in a hotel of such character and warmth?

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2010

The best hotel we have ever stayed in, the staff couldnt do enough for us.
Book room10 with the fantastic bath!!