Culloden House
US$227
US$282
US$197
US$180
Macdonald Drumossie Hotel(Inverness)(Great Value!)
US$180
  • Pool
US$152
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewswalled gardenbonnie prince charliefront lawndownton abbeyscottish historyscottish experienceeach eveningfour poster bedbeautiful hotelpublic roomsdrawing roomsuperior roomold houseno elevatorclava cairnsflights of stairspleasure of staying
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My friends and I stayed here for one night last week and we had a great time. The drive up to the house is impressive, it really takes your breath away and the exterior of the house itself is awesome, in the literal sense of the word. Honestly, I was expecting a bit more in terms of luxury with the interior, but it does have the unintended feel as if you are staying at a friends country house - it's comfy,cozy and clean.
We had tea, and then dinner - which was excellent. Breakfast was a treat too. The food was tasty and well presented.
We went for a little walk around the grounds and into the walled garden which is like something out of a movie - it's beautful and so fragrant. I could have sat there forever.
But I have to save the best for last - the real gem here is the staff without a doubt. I wish I was better with names, but there was not one person we met there that didn't wow us with their friendliness, helpfullness and wonderful senses of humor. Everything just seemed very genuine. The man that staffed the front desk while we were there (wish I could remember his name!) pulled us into the bar for a little impromptu whiskey lesson, learned more there than I did on the distillery tour! His suggestion for my whiskey-hating husband (when I got back home) was very well received, he loved it. I also have to mention Jim,the bagpipe player,who comes out every evening to play - he was so personable and friendly and stayed around to clue us in about everything bagpipes. The staff really make this place special.
Lastly, it was a huge thrill for a history lover to stay in the place that Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed at before the doomed Culloden Battle.
I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
cullodenmanager, General Manager at Culloden House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

I am delighted you enjoyed your "Culloden" experience, and happy to learn that your husband made a good recovery following his accident.

Michael our Head Chef has been with us for many years and he and his brigade always try their best to ensure they treat local produce right and prepare it skillfully but simply.

We look forward to welcoming you back and hopefully we will have Duck on the menu!

Kind regards

Stephen Davies, General Manager

Reviewed 16 July 2013

I stayed here for two nights while my husband was in hospital following an accident. The staff were kindness itself and could not have been more helpful. Stephen the manger and his staff asked after my husband with genuine concern.

As for the hotel itself it is the most beautiful building and the rooms are very tastefully decorated. I stayed in 2 different rooms as I was originally only staying one night, one was very Scottish in decoration and other equally beautiful. I had dinner both evenings and I have say the food had obviously been prepared with love and attention. The duck was the best I have ever tasted and although you can get dinner locally at a cheaper price I don't believe it compares with Cullodens kitchen.

The walled garden was a peaceful delight and I spent time admiring the flowers and plants. Unfortunately as my husband was in hospital he did not get to appreciate this wonderful place. Therefore I will be booking a weekend in November as I would really recommend this lovely hotel where you can relax after enjoying what Inverness and area has to offer.

I will also be looking for forward to Duck for dinner if it is on the menu.

Thank you once again Stephen Davies and you wonderful staff

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I have been looking forward to my visit to Culloden and Culloden House Hotel for months. For the money, I had very high expectations. I suppose what you are paying for is the building's history and the very good service, because the rooms are uninspired. Other than the age of the stone wall that completely blocked any view out of the room, I could have imagined I was in a Motel 6. The decor was...well, hotel industrial. The bathroom was wall to wall linoleum, the toilet did not flush easily, and the shower water pressure was weak. There was a towel warmer, but the bath towels were stacked on a shelf. There are no lifts, so with the stairs, winding halls, and multiple fire doors, it's not easily negotiated with luggage. There seems to be only a few staff doing everything. The same young man who helped us with our bags, also served us dinner. The same gentleman who bartended in the lounge also hosted us at dinner. That said, all staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. The dinner at Culloden House is very good, but way overpriced for what it was. That may explain why the two of us were the only ones in the dining room for dinner for the first bit. The server mentioned that the guests who have already dined there usually go into town for dinner for additional nights they stay. I can see why. I had the tournedos of beef with cauliflower purée. It was $55 USD just fornthe entree and my steak knife would barely cut it. For that price, I should have been able to cut it with my fork. The dessert was very attractively presented and very good. But for a $200+ price tag on the dinner for the twonof us, everything should have been as stunning to the palate as to it was to the eye. That just wasn't the case. All in all, the place just really needs some loving attention to make it feel authentic and classy. There are just some very ratty features that could easily be addressed to let guests know that the owners care about maintaining this historical site. Other old buildings we have stayed in have the charm of their history, but the recreated luxury and class of the period, plus the. Modern creature comforts we've come to expect in high priced accommodations. I am just not sold on Culloden House, but I give the multi-tasking staff major props.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 919PatriciaB

Thank you for your feedback, we do take all customer feedback seriously and will ensure that the points raised are investigated and actioned.

Stephen Davies, General manager

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Thank-you to all the staff at Culloden House for making my father's wedding an absolute dream! It was the most beautiful venue, with helpful and attentive staff. They worked so hard to make sure everyone was catered for. The food was beautiful, and the setting more so. Well worth a trip!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Garden Mansion, which I would definitely recommend. Huge beds, huge bath, absolute luxury.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sallie B
cullodenmanager, General Manager at Culloden House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2013

Hospitality is the name of the game and I am proud of our wonderful team who go that extra mile for every guest that stays at Culloden House. Andrew & Julies wedding was a special day and we are delighted we made it memorable for all who attended.

Stephen Davies

Reviewed 20 June 2013

We found Culloden House Hotel on line and admit to booking it based largely on its proximity to the Culloden battlefields and all inclusiveness of the property. It may not be the closest hotel to town (Inverness) but, with breakfast included and an amazing fine dining dinner menu, there is no reason to leave once your outing for the day is complete. It's more rural surrounding guarantee piece and quiet and a good nights sleep. Our stay was everything we could have dreamed of, and more! from the cleanliness and historic surroundings to the friendliness of the staff and their amazing scotch selection, our stay there was simply marvellous! We arranged a car and driver, through them, to take us on a whiskey tour so we didn't have to worry about drinking and driving, and even that was flawless. And, you could get lost in the walled garden and still die happy!! I thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone who enjoys history, historic buildings, and being spoiled rotten!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

We love spoiling people rotten! Its what we do best and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much. Thank you for your kind comments on dinner, I will pass them onto Michael our Executive Chef, he has been with us for 28 years and won the Scottish Chef of the Year award for 2013! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Stephen Davies