“Historic hotel masquerading as a country manor”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Culloden House

Culloden House
Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Atlanta, Georgia
“Historic hotel masquerading as a country manor”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

No subterfuge here, it's exactly as I expected. If you like living amidst history, you'll love Culloden House. It creaks, it moans, it draws you into it's variable guest rooms. I say variable because my wife and I had a fantastic room on the second floor but our traveling companions didn't book the higher-priced room and were assigned what could best be described as a spacious closet. Just be sure you know what room type you're booking.

The manager was very accommodating and even moved our friends to a better room for their second night at no additional cost, so tip of the hat for service.

Great restaurant quality, yet the service seemed a bit green and rushed. They could use some additional training. No such issues with the bar staff, they were on top of their games.

The grounds are incredible. Take the time to walk them all, the natural and man-made beauty will put a smile your face multiple times. And the redwoods...I think there were three of them, each towering over 60 ft.

The location is great for sightseeing. We booked a private guide for a six hour tour and we all agreed he (and the Inverness environs) were the highlight of the trip. But if you want to be closer to town, be aware you're a good 15 minutes away by cab (it's not walkable).

Lastly, most (if not all) evenings they pay a single bagpiper to slowly walk the perimeter of the mansion. His plaintive playing draws you out into the setting sun. Great way to enjoy a single malt, too.

Room Tip: Book a suite or superior mansion room, it's worth it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FreqTravBizPleas
cullodenmanager, General Manager at Culloden House, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Im delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, again it was my pleasure to move your friends room to ensure that you all had a memorable stay, we do try to make each and every guests stay as special as possible and Im delighted that the team genuinely managed to make your stay just that.

Our room categories are all different and we find that most guests do wish to stay in superior or suite rooms, classic rooms are also well appointed but do look onto the car parks or other parts of the building.

Jim Neil has been piping guests at Culloden for many a year and Im delighted that you enjoyed the pipes with a nice single malt!

We look forward to welcoming you back to sample our ever changing whisky trolley!

Stephen Davies

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My wife, daughter and I stayed here on our tour of Scotland. The house has a lot of history which was why we chose it . The house and the grounds don't disappoint, the walled garden was a great place to relax and unwind at the end of the day. We had a suite which was quiet in the evenings and very large. The staff really make the place and can't do enough for you especially at breakfast. Teaching my daughter to play crocket on the lawn was real fun. The hotel is on the expensive side for the area, but worth it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
cullodenmanager, General Manager at Culloden House, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
When we started the walled garden project over 5 years ago we knew it would be a unique feature to the house, Andy our gardener works hard to ensure that it looks immaculate all year round, I am delighted you enjoyed visiting.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the team, we are lucky to boast that they have been with us for many years and are indeed an asset that we are proud of.

We hope to welcome you back in the future and thank you again for your kind comments.

Lutz, Florida, United States
Reviewed 29 May 2014

If you are staying in the Highlands - playing golf at Dornoch or Castle Stuart - or just visiting, this is a must stay. A beautifully renovated mansion, with impeccable service. Breakfasts are great here, as are visited to the Bar just off the main entrance.

Room Tip: If a Scottish shower drenches you or your belongings, ask about drying off in the Boiler Room.
Dear Mark P,

Its always great to welcome return guests and we were delighted that you chose us as your Highland base yet again for your recent golfing expedition!

It was fun walking you through our new additions to the whisky trolley, I hope to have a few more in the months ahead so we cant tempt you back again.

Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We had lunch here last week with friends - 7 of us. It couldn't have been better. Despite being the only people there, we were made to feel completely at home and welcome. All the staff were friendly and managed perfect service without being intrusive - and the food was very good indeed! I cannot recommend this hotel too highly. A plus is the wonderful setting and really beautiful walled garden.

Dear Penelope S,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, lunch at Culloden House is indeed a wonderful experience and I am delighted that you enjoyed the experience, I hope that we can tempt you back in the near future, our lunch menu changes monthly to ensure it remains seasonal and that we use the best produce at the best time of year.

Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Just left this amazing house three days ago. Grounds are a feast for the eyes, staff is top notch to a person. Be prepared for warm, welcoming Scottish hospitality and humor. The food was outstanding with many lovely choices. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed. Ours was refurbished recently (could use a shower curtain!).
Close to town although there isn't much to do in Inverness. Great golf near by.
Do not hesitate to stay here!

Dear hlsgolf,

Thank you! I read your review to the team and they were all delighted that we managed to make your stay special.

Inverness is only 3 miles away and a nice place to wander during the Summer evenings, delighted that you enjoyed the golf offerings, having over 50 courses in the area boasting such gems as Castle Stuart, Nairn & Royal Dornoch certainly helps the Highlands as one of Scotland's best golfing areas.

Hope to welcome you back in the future.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Regarding the review of Culloden House titled ‘anniversary trip’. The reservation was arranged for the reviewer by the writer of this response. The reviewer has failed to mention that she was in fact given an upgrade to Suites at Culloden House. Having contacted our office by telephone to cancel one night at Culloden, she was informed that it was not possible as it was within 24 hours of her stay there. Arrangements for the trip had been dictated by her personal requirements. She disconnected from staff mid way through explanation of the conditions of booking. It was evident that she was not going to view her stay at Culloden without adverse bias. The manger and staff, who are well known to our company and throughout the industry, are renowned for their attention and friendliness to their guests, this reason and the quality and location of the property are the main reasons that our company recommend Culloden House to our clients. The client did not thank Culloden for the upgrades, neither did they appreciate assistance and advice offered on sightseeing and travel, although Culloden House offered their services on several occasion, especially on departure, where the general manager supplied details of weather and driving conditions to their next destination. I think the review should be taken with a ‘pinch of salt’ as it is certainly tainted by the attitude of the traveller.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EddieG670
Concord, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This house was lovely. The food was good but did not change from day to day. The manager was arrogant and not very friendly. The wait staff were good but not very friendly. Only Kyle had a great sense of humor and made the stay enjoyable. It is very hard to find!!

1 Thank fashionsw
cullodenmanager, General Manager at Culloden House, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear fashionsw,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay, I am delighted that you liked the house and also the food, I am however exceptionally concerned regarding your other comments and would like to take this opportunity to address these.

Both myself and our team have viewed your comments and are lost as to why you feel we were unfriendly and arrogant?

We were aware that you were traveling a long distance from Turnberry and when speaking to your golf travel agent we made the decision to upgrade your rooms to suites with our compliments, we added a VIP amenity to your room and I personally welcomed you with a hand written note.

Unfortunately I was not on duty on the Thursday, your arrival day, or Friday of your stay so I called my Deputy Manager to ensure that you had arrived safe and that you had settled into your upgraded accommodations. On the Saturday, your final day, I greeted you on your return from your day out and handed you your room key, I asked how your day had been and had a brief conversation with you prior to you going to your room. The only other time which we met was on departure when I offered assistance with driving directions to Edinburgh and informed you of what the weather was going to be for the day. I am at a loss as to what could be misconstrued as arrogant but would be delighted to discuss with you further should you wish to call me at the hotel or to email me at - stephendavies@cullodenhouse.co.uk

Moving onto the staff, again, having been at the helm of Culloden House for 15 years, I have managed to ensure I have a team of exceptional professionals, they are praised highly by customers and not once have I had any cause to question their levels of hospitality, the comments on tripadvisor by past clients indicate that if Culloden House had to name but one strength it would be the staff who top that list every time, again, please feel free to contact me and enlighten me as to any shortcomings and I will happily discuss this with any member of my team. Just 8 days beofre your stay the team picked up "Scottish Hotel Team of the Year" at the Scottish Hotel Awards.

I am delighted that you managed to find a friendly face in Kyle, he has been with us for close to 20 years, he is an important member of the team and I will pass on your kind comments, thank you.

In summary we are delighted that you rated your stay as 4 out of 5 and would be delighted to discuss your comments further.

I look forward to hearing from you.