Culloden House
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$231
US$212
Heathmount Hotel(Inverness)
US$216
US$194
US$181
Macdonald Drumossie Hotel(Inverness)(Great Value!)
US$186
US$131
Agoda.com
Holiday Inn Express Inverness(Inverness)(Great Value!)
US$190
US$174
US$291
US$283
Travelocity
The Waterside Hotel(Inverness)(Great Value!)
US$265
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
US$127
PremierInn.com
All reviewswalled gardenbonnie prince charliefront lawndownton abbeyscottish historyscottish experienceeach eveningfour poster bedbeautiful hotelpublic roomsdrawing roomsuperior roomold houseno elevatorclava cairnsflights of stairspleasure of staying
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have been making trips to Scotland since the early 1980s and now go at least twice a year, usually more. Very familiar with the hotels throughout the country. I first visited the hotel in 1983, but have had the pleasure over the last several years of staying there for at least three nights each January with a group of friends. It is lovely old country mansion with wonderful public rooms, comfortable suites, and a superb restaurant. It has a warm and friendly atmosphere. What absolutely sets this place apart is the service. The hotelier, Stephen, and his team are at the very top when it comes to taking care of their guests. It is a delight to spend time there and I am looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
cullodenmanager, General Manager at Culloden House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear William B,

We take great pride in welcoming guests back to the house, the fact that you have been returning for many years shows us that we must be doing something right!

Thank you for your kind words, I will share them with the team and I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back for many years to come!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at Culloden House for two nights on June 14 and 15, 2014. In a word the experience was wonderful. From the moment we arrived we were treated as special guests. The entire staff seemed genuinely happy that we were there. They were very service oriented and friendly. Our room was large and comfortable. The dining experience (both pre and post dinner cocktails in the drawing room as well as dinner in the restaurant) was terrific.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JLH00

Dear JLH00

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a lovely review, I am delighted that all of our team managed to make your stay in Scotland memorable and I will ensure I pass on your kind comments to all.

Our dining room is popular and our seasonal menus showcase the best of local produce.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and thank you for your kind words.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I just left the Culloden House without spending the night because their approach to my needs was unacceptable.

If you book a junior suite, as I did, and end up in the Garden Mansion know these things. First, this is a completely separate building which is about 250 yards from the main house. Your building has nothing in it besides 4 rooms; not an elevator or a lounge or anywhere to eat. You are completely cut off from the main house. Second, if you need anything, such as a bucket of ice, you must call the main house and it is brought all the way to your building. Third, there is no room service in the Garden Mansion. All other rooms receive room service, but according to the bellman, they cannot by regulation, provide hot food outside of the main building. Therefore, if you want a quick snack, no can do. If you want to eat a meal in the restaurant, you must walk there, out the front door, down the driveway, around the corner, up the other drive and in the front door. Ridiculous!

When I arrived, Murray, and I'm not sure what his job is, came practically running out of the front door telling me that my room was in something called the Garden Mansion, which meaning was unclear to me, and he didn't even introduce himself. I never got a chance to even see the inside of the main building, and it just felt like the bum's rush. It felt like they didn't want me to even come inside, perhaps then I would know I was being given inferior lodging. I don't know because I never had access to the main building. I was never welcomed inside or to the property.

My junior suite smelled musty, as if it hadn't been opened or used for quite some time. The Garden Mansion is supposed to mimic the main building I'm sure, but it is soulless. There is simply no character or charm to it as it is just a new building. Pathetic.

I immediately called the reception to see if I could change rooms, and was told there was only a single room available for 1 night and I would have to move to a different room for my second night. Not acceptable. I was offered nothing else and I was never asked what the problem was with my room, so perhaps the problem could be solved. Then I simply asked to be moved to a different hotel which Murray did with pleasure and quite rapidly. Of course.

If you like pompous, self-satisfaction, then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building or you will have no room service.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Christmas2010
cullodenmanager, General Manager at Culloden House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Christmas2010

Thank you for your prompt review.

I am sorry that you did not like your accommodations, they were as described to your travel agent and also the fact that your Junior Suite was located in the Garden Mansion House which is located 250 yards away from the main house. Your travel agent had all this information when they booked the room and also when they called to check your accommodations the day prior to your arrival.

The Garden Mansion House consists of 4 Junior Suites, they also benefit from a lounge as you enter the main door. They are exceptionally large rooms, as your picture shows have great size bathrooms with sunken bath and walk in showers also.

These rooms are requested on a regular basis and when sold to guests all guests are advised of their location and facilities, they are popular rooms selected by a lot of repeat customers as they are quiet, well appointed and situated next to our 4 acre walled garden.

As with the main house we deliver guest items on request, such as ice and newspapers. Yes you are correct in saying that these rooms do not benefit from room service of food but that is not seen as a problem by the high percentage of guests who occupy these rooms.

It is our policy to greet all guests as they arrive, Murray made his way to your car on arrival, introduced himself, and to assist with check in simply advised that you were staying in our Garden Mansion House, as you were the last guest to check in on Friday evening we knew who you were and welcomed you to Culloden House.

Nigel our porter made his way down to the Garden Mansion House and promptly assisted with luggage, familiarized you with the features of the room and your requests, Harvey immediately made his way down with ice. You had indicated that there is no lift in the building, you are correct, neither does the main house, but the Garden Mansion house only has two floors and a maximum of 16 steps, the main house has 4 floors and a minimum of 28 steps just to get to the first floor.

Your firm request to move room was met with as much assistance as we could possibly offer as you correctly point out we only had one single room available, Culloden is a very popular property and with it being Summer we are virtually fully booked for the months ahead. We aided in finding alternative accommodations in town, as swiftly as possible, so to ensure that you were happy, we arranged for a complimentary bottle of Champagne to be in your room at your new accommodations to apologize for any inconvenience caused even though we had fully advised your travel agent at all points of contact that your room was not located in the main house and delivered what we we contracted to.

In summary, I apologize if the Garden Mansion House was not to your liking, I appreciate that we cant be all things to all people, we fulfilled all our obligations in respect of your reservation and went above and beyond to accommodate your request to find alternative accommodations.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This great Georgian country house is set in its own 40-acre estate near Inverness, Scotland. Culloden has outstanding country grounds with a large walled garden. The place is a bit old and worn, but is very comfortable and is made first class by a great staff. There is no spa or AC, but it has an excellent restaurant and great public rooms with sitting rooms, bar and restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank cosmo144

Dear Cosmo144,

Thank you kindly for your lovely review, I am delighted that we managed to add to your Scottish experience! Ill pass on your kind comments onto all the team and we look nforward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is a really special place! We stayed here for four nights in June and enjoyed every minute. The staff were so friendly, helpful and attentive with a lovely Scottish sense of humour! Our suite was very spacious, comfortable and clean. The grounds are splendid - do make a special visit to the Walled Garden which looked simply glorious. We had dinner every night in the hotel and every course was absolutely delicious. One night we treated ourselves to the Taster Menu and it was one of the best meals my husband and I have ever had. Staying here is a MUST!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear TouringTorres,

It was our pleasure to have you stay, Im delighted you enjoyed our local banter! That the new tasting menu is such a hit, our kitchen team have had rave reviews and most evenings about half the dining room are enjoying the new menu along with our wine flight to compliment.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.