“No change in disasterous fire alarm procedures in 18 months!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jurys Inn Inverness

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Jurys Inn Inverness
Ranked #18 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“No change in disasterous fire alarm procedures in 18 months!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

It is worth looking first at an earlier review covering an awful 2 nights in March 2012, where staff mismanaged a faulty fire alarm.

During our stay on 21st July at 1.30 am I was woken by the sound of a smoke alarm going off in our room. A few minutes later a member of staff hammered on our door, as I opened it he rushed in waving his arms. His first words to me were ' Has someone been smoking?' We confirmed that no one had. After sniffing the air he then accused us of having a shower with the door open, we denied this heinous crime and he left. We then opened our door to find the rest of the hotel guests returning from an evacuation, that he not even mentioned to us! Thank goodness there wasn't a fire in our room! 10 minutes later another member of staff hammered on the door, he rudely kept repeating that we must have had a shower. After 3 denials, he left. At no time did either member of staff advise us what was going on, nor in any way apologise to us. My wife and daughter went down to reception and were again accused by both members of staff of setting the alarm off.

About 2 hours later the alarm went off again. The first member of staff, hammered on our door again waving his arms, without even acknowledging my existence he came in, looked up at the offending alarm and muttered that he would have to silence it and left. This time I went downstairs. Other hotel guests were there and looked as if they were in the process of forming a lynch mob. One said 'Have They set the alarm off again?' Clearly the staff had told them that we were responsible. At no time did any member of staff offer any spontaneous apology for our inconvenience. We were told initially that we could wait for the engineer to come, and then offered a change of room, which we agreed to.

It was a great pity that this unacceptable behavior by the staff, and clear mismanagement of every aspect of this situation, marred what might have otherwise been a pleasant stay. Our arrival greeting at reception was friendly and we were allowed to book in early. The family room we were given was essentially a 2 bedroom suite. It was spacious, but a little tatty, and there were no coffee making facilities. The second room we were moved to was in much better decorative order and also much cooler.

The breakfast was excellent and the staff were very attentive. The gym and pool were also quite good.

In the morning however we still received no apology for the ridiculous episode so I sought out the duty manager and demanded that some action be taken about this very stressful episode, especially as the engineer seemed to have by that time confirmed that the alarm had been faulty.

Eventually I did get an apology and we received a full refund, I was advised that the matter would go to the general manager. I hope if it does that he re-reads the earlier March 2012 review, takes a close note of this one, and this time really does change things!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank CityVisitor186534
Dorothy_Maclean, General Manager at Jurys Inn Inverness, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear CityVisitor186534
Thank you for your review on your recent stay here at the Thistle Inverness. I would like to apologise for any inconvienence caused to you during your stay. I am aware that you spoke with the Duty Manager on the morning of your departure however if you wish to discuss the matter further please contact me directly at the hotel.
Kind regards - Dorothy MacLean, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Cheshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

The Thistle in Inverness is well located, just off the A9. I had booked an Executive double, at the cost of a small fortune, so when I arrived at my room, to say I was disappointed was an understatement.

The room was small and standard, but lacked air-conditioning. So based purely on the value for money, room size and lack of aircon, I voted with my feet and left.

Inverness is a "tricky" place to find a decent hotel at a reasonable rate, (especially in late July), so be sure to shop around and ask all the right questions!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Dodgergammon
Thank you for your recent review. I was disappointed that we did not meet your expectations and that you felt the need to leave the hotel. Whilst the city is busy in the summer and the rate will reflect the demand we still offer a competitive price in our location. As you can apprieciate we have been experiencing unusually high temperatures this summer which is above the norm for this area, therefore we have a limited need for air conditioning throughout the year.
Kind regards - Dorothy Maclean, General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Inverness hotels

uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

Broke our journey north, staying 1 night B&B, got offered a deal without asking £65 which was nice. This is a friendly hotel, clean and comfortable room. Had evening meal which we both enjoyed, I can recommend the lemon cheesecake :) Staff in the bar were chatty and welcoming, one of the best pints of guinness I've had in a long time, pure nectar, well done whoever is responsible for keeping the pipes clean. Would stay here again if in the area

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear C K
Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at the Thistle Inverness. It was lovely to hear your kind comments with regards to the team and service, the bar staff in particular are delighted that their hard work in maintaining the cellar is paying off.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Thistle Inverness in the not too distant future.
Kind regards - Dorothy and Team
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

My partner and I travelled here from the Scottish Borders for a mini break, first of all the hotel is very easy to find just off the A9.

We were both impressed with the hotel during our stay, we only eat in the hotel one night as its very expensive as are the drinks although the meals we did get were nice, but its not far from the street and didn't struggle to find anywhere to eat out.

We both loved Inverness and would go back to this hotel if we were to go again.

Room Tip: We were at the back of the hotel and it overlooked a road.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear LandN89,
Thank you for your recent review on the Thistle Inverness hotel. I was delighted to hear that you were impressed with the hotel and our location and would return here again should you be visiting the Highlands.
Kind regards, Dorothy MacLean - General Manager
highlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Spent one night with daughter and her husband. Very clean hotel - bedroom spotless, which is important to us. Extremely comfortable bed. Slept really well. Breakfast was good with good choice of buffet. In fact we have booked again for a week end very soon! Looking forward to having dinner.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dorothy_Maclean, General Manager at Jurys Inn Inverness, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Dear comfortlovers
Thank you for your recent review on the Thistle Inverness. I was delighted to hear that you found the hotel to be clean, bedrooms spotless with comfortable bed and good breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon to the hotel.
Kind regards, Dorothy Maclean - General Manager
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights at the start of June whilst on a work trip.

The hotel is very nice, and has a welcoming reception/bar area. Whilst obviously not a new hotel, the rooms were clean, spacious and homely.

We had breakfast 2 mornings, and ate in the bar twice for evening meals - the food was excellent, and is reasonably priced.

The staff were either very good, or very poor, as the following examples will show:
- On the first morning we had breakfast, all the breakfast staff had slept in. We therefore had to seat ourselves, after 5 minutes of waiting, and eventually a woman ran round apologizing and pouring coffee with her jacket on! Obviously noone's fault, but I would have thought breakfast staff would need to be dependable!
- On the first evening, we walked up to the bar to purchase food/drinks. The man behind the bar smiled politely then said "I can't serve you here, sorry. You'll need to wait for someone else." It did make me wonder why he was behind the bar in the first place...
- On the second evening a different man behind the bar was very rude - I wish I had caught his name! First, he asked us for ID (fair enough), but then insisted it was fake, as it said I was born in "1903"... I had to show HIM that it clearly stated 1988... If you work behind a bar, surely you need to be able to read Driving Licenses, especially if you request them? Further to this, when we went up to pay, despite being there first, he said "I'll serve this other gentleman first." to a man approaching behind us... Charming...

Despite these instances, the rest of the staff were very friendly, including those behind reception, and the other bar staff we encountered.

A very nice hotel, just perhaps a little overpriced, in my opinion.

Room Tip: There's a train station on one side, and a motorway on the other! Facing the car-park is probabl...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank davieb110
Dear davieb110
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Thistle Inverness Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you found the hotel reception and bar area to be welcoming, the rooms clean, spacious and homely. I would like to speak with you in person with regards to the issues you raised with some team members, if you would be so kind as to contact me directly at the hotel I would be much obliged.
Kind regards Dorothy MacLean, General Manager
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

A classic hotel with no customer interest, had to go looking for the bar man who had go walk about and when found showed little interest in customer service. The biggest gripe about this hotel was the price of the breakfast it was self service buffet with cold coffee and they had the nerve to charge £15 per person!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dorothy_Maclean, General Manager at Jurys Inn Inverness, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Dear GRAHAM H, Thank you for submitting a review following your stay here at the Thistle Inverness. I am dissapointed to hear that you had issues with the service in the bar and I have passed this onto our Bar and Restaurant Manager who will address this with the team. With regards to your comments on our breakfast price we do offer a reduced voucher at £10 if bought in advance at the reception desk and I am sorry if this was not offered to you.
Kind regards, Dorothy MacLean - General Manager