“Absolutely Brilliant”

Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Brilliant”
Reviewed 24 April 2011

We spent Easter weekend at the hotel, it was amazing, everything from the rooms to the food and especially the staff, they just couldn't do enough for you.

The conservatory restaurant was very very good, with great food and excellent service!

As previously said the staff were amazing, even to the extent of getting a waiters car moved to give us a parking space in the car park when it was full.

Thanks for a Fab weeekend Craig, we will certainly be back.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I was glad to hear you had an absolutly brillant Easter weekend. I am glad you were able to spend some time in the hotel and enjoy the level of comfort and service that the hotel offeres. Our food and beverage offering is very important to us and our Executive Chef and Head Chef are constatly reviewing the menu and the best local ingrediants available to us. Some of our fish and shellfish is being cooked, presented and served on the very day it comes out of the sea. This is down to us working with a number of small suppliers who are able to deliver and forfil our / guest expections.

The example that you mention of the waiter moving the car to provide you with a car parking space is one of our associates demonstrating two of our core values; ownership and empowerment. I will ensure the praise is passed on.

Craig Ewan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Cumbria, England
Reviewed 24 April 2011

I stayed one night in a ground floor room in the main building but wasn't unduly disturbed by guests above, unlike another reviewer. The room was an excellent size, clean (apart from one minor gripe) and well decorated with a comfortable 6 foot bed. The minor gripe was a fair amount of dust in the grille at the top of the radiator which had clearly been missed by the cleaners for some weeks.

I liked the double inner doors in the room which completely cut out any noise from the corridor. It's a quiet hotel in a peaceful location, fairly close to the centre of Inverness. However, the walk down to the river must be getting on for a mile and is uphill on the way back so you might want to drive if you're eating out in the evening - I did but then maybe I'm getting a bit old/lazy. Driving gives you a problem with parking though, which isn't great in the centre of Inverness.

I didn't use the pool or other facilities but I did have a quick look as it was just down the corridor from my room. It was a fairly average size for a hotel pool, not large enough for serious lappery, if that's your thing. Looked nice enough though.

I didn't eat in the hotel in the evening as I have a couple of favourite places down by the river. I wasn't very impressed with the breakfast though. I'm not a great fan of pre-cooked breakfast buffets left simmering under hot lights for hours but that's pretty standard fare for this size of hotel, unfortunately. Quick and convenient it's true (and you can pile your plate high if you want to stoke up for the day) but quality tends to suffer. As hotel breakfast buffets go, this was copious enough, but the sausages were only cooked on one side, which I loathe, and the scrambled egg looked more like yellow porridge. The bacon looked like it might have been good quailty when cooked some time earlier. As the stay had been booked on a room only basis, I was then charged a very poor value £15.50 for something that I didn't enjoy much. The following morning I had one of the best cooked breakfasts in Scotland at a B&B in Pitlochry and the Kingsmills' suffered badly from the comparison.

Oh, and the wifi charges were a tad outrageous too.

Having said all that, I'd be happy to stay here again at the rate I got for the room.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for you feedback, all feedback is welcomed.

I was very pleased to see you had commented on the quality of your room being excellent, however also disappointed to read that you felt the breakfast in Kingsmills was below avaerage. The buffet service offering does offer over one hundred breakfast items at any given time. I am sorry you felt it had been "sitting" for some time as we do employee a deadicated chef to look after the buffet quality and quanitiy and to cook freshly fried eggs. I will discuss with our exec chef your feedback and work on improving. Whilst you paid the full breakfast price at the time of booking a breakfast upgrade is available at a £5 per person discount.

Thanks for your feedback

Balmenach, Scotland
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Arrived to a fantastic welcome in the club reception. The staff were very helpful. The room was excellent and very comfortable. Emma at breakfast was very friendly and the breakfast was tasty and well presented. I will definatly be back.

• Stayed April 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time in writing a rewiew.

I was delighted to read you had a "great stay" and our associates gave you a warm welcome.

I will ensure Emma recieves the posivitve feedback and prasie she deserves, she is one of our many star associates.

I am glad you enjoyed your tasty and well presented breakfast

Berkshire
Reviewed 15 April 2011

I stayed here recently for a long weekend. Most of the facilities were perfectly fine - the decor was a little dated and the main hotel and rooms could do with refreshing but that is a minor point. The breakfasts were nice (except for the sausages which had bone chips in - avoid) and the room was very clean (except for a few cobwebs around the ceilings). The bed was huge which was a nice touch. It's definitely not the best four star hotel I've visited but also not the worst. The main reason I decided to write a review is to warn other guests - do NOT book a room on the ground floor of the main hotel. It's an old building and I'm guessing not much has been done in the way of sound insulation, because the person staying in the room upstairs sounded like thunder. I could hear the footsteps even with ear plugs in! They didn't put the television on frequently but when they did we could hear that too. They got up at seven every morning and because of that, so did we because it was impossible to sleep afterwards. Other than that our stay was perfectly ok. We weren't at the hotel in the day because we simply used it as a base to explore the area, so I don't know what its other facilities such as the spa or restaurant are like.

Room Tip: Don't book a ground floor room!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, all feedback is very much appreciated. After reading your review and investigating a little further I believe your room was allocated one of stanard rooms in our "garden wing". By this Friday every one of these rooms will have recieved a paint and decoration refresh, a project we have been working on for the last couple of months. I am sorry you were disturbed by the other guests upstair, if we had been made aware of, a room move could have been arranged.

I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay. I was disappointed to read your comment on our sausages from breakfast, I enjoyed two myself this morning and this is the first time I have had a comment that they have found bone chippings within the meat. I will ask our chef to address with our supplier.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2011

Stayed here with kids - they had a separate room from us. The hotel was great. We were there for two nights and ate at the hotel restaurant both nights. There was a wedding reception at the hotel the first night and we got to see many men and little boys in their kilts. They were all very friendly and nice. The front desk was very helpful. Loch Ness wasn't too far away and was well worth the visit. Overall enjoyed our stay immensely. Would definitely recommend to anyone to stay here!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your trip advisor review of Kingsmills hotel. I was delighted to read you had an "Awesome" stay. Kingsmills can be the prefect hotel for so many different purposes. We have family rooms, adjoining rooms, king rooms, twin rooms, triple rooms, accessable rooms, kingsclub rooms and a suite, we really try to deliver to all. The are two restaurants which I am glad you enjoyed offering a variety of dishes using the best of local ingrediants. Whilst there was a local wedding taking place at the time we always have a deadicate team on to look after the weddings and private events and another team to look after all our other guests, to the highest of standards.
We would love to welcome you back in the future, whilst you enjoyed Loch Ness the area has many other attractions to entertain all the family.

Thanks again

CraigEwan
fife
Reviewed 10 April 2011

A class act that sets the standards for others to follow.
Quality of service is constant from first to the last day of our stay.A letter of thanks from our national poet Robert Burns hangs proudly in the Hotel foyer commenting about service and hospitality that he experienced during a stay at Windmills estate. I echo the same gratitude for the service and hospitality experienced by my wife and myself during our stay.This quality of service and hospitality is the core of the success of the Windmills Hotel experience.
You leave the kingsmills Hotel with a marvelous feeling of wellbeing. A haven of class and quality and we are already planning a return break. .

Mr,Mrs Shankland

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank fshanky
Dear Mr and Mrs Shankland,

Thank you for taking time to write this review of Kingsmills following your recent stay, your title of the review must be one of the most inspiring I have read to date. I am glad you had a wonderfully relaxing stay and our associates delivered a consistent high standard of service through out the hotel and your stay.

We would be delighted to see you back at Kingsmills again.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2011

Went back for our third stay at this well run and friendly hotel. It was made all the more brilliant as we were upgraded to one of their best rooms in the new Kingsclub Spa..Great views from the room with a fabulous balcomy to watch the golfers. The room was luxurious and the staff very efficient and couldn't do enough for us. The whole place gave a calm and relaxing atmosphere and I can't wait to go back

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you had a fantastic stay again. Our associates do pride themselves on delivering and exceeding guest expectations and I am glad that they have done it again. The Kingsclub rooms are our best rooms in terms of comfort and views of the golf course in a modern contemporary surroundings. The Kingsmills has also very comfortable rooms in a more traditional "country house" surroundings.
I look forward to welcoming you back again.