“Hit and Miss”
Review of Kingsmills Hotel

Kingsmills Hotel
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I have stayed at the Kingsmill hotel a few times and have found it a bit hit and miss. On occassions I have a fantastic room with great service and lovely food but on other occassions the food is very average (burnt items and under cooked items on the same plate) and the room poor. Strangely I pay the same room price each time and I suspect the allocated room probably reflects how busy the hotel is. Some of the rooms could definitely do with a lick of paint and feel a little bit tired others are wonderful. One constant is the service which is always exceptional and in line with what you would expect from a 5 star hotel. Despite the "tiredness" of some of the rooms they are always very clean and comfortable. The Kingsmills feels like a hotel half way through a modernisation program. Unfortunately in my experience you are just as likely to be disappointed as you are delighted and at these prices that is probably not acceptable.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank BusinessTraveller039
Write a ReviewReviews (1,849)

Reviewed 15 May 2012

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Kingsmills and I have to say, I could not fault it. The friendly and helpful reception staff gave a very good first impression, and I'm glad to say this was consistent across all the staff members we encountered during our stay. Our room was one of the demi-suites in the new wing, which is stunning. The rooms are beautifully decorated with huge comfortable beds, and the stylish bathrooms have with separate large showers and baths. Our large room had a balcony which overlooked the golf course, and delighted as we were with this, the welcome cakes, fresh milk and caffetiere were very nice touches also. Both dinner and breakfast were exceptional and again a very high standard of service, plus a lovely atmospheric bar with a great pianist, and a very well maintained leisure suite, which I have to say is the exception with most hotels I have stayed at. The hotels isn't right in the city centre, but a pleasant 10 minutes walk away, however it is set within a lovely grounds, with its own pitch & putt and a nearby swingpark. I stay at hotels fairly regularly and more often than not, something is just not up to scratch, however I have to say this was not the case with the Kinsgmills - I would definitely stay at this hotel again, and cannot recommend it highly enough to anyone visiting Inverness.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the new KingsClub wing, with a balcony overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beaujangles72
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We were in the 'new' part which overlooked the golf course. The building was across from the original hotel. Our biggest complaint was the bathroom. They tried to put too much into a very small space. The sink and shower had drainage issues. It took two calls to get someone to take a look and even when the technician said everything was fixed it really wasn't much better. The breakfast buffet was very nice and they would also cook items to order. As in everywhere we went in Scotland the people at this hotel were wonderful.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Boatguy292Cobalt
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Enjoyed my stay. Very welcoming lady at reception. Minor problem sorting / finding reservation but dealt with most professionally by getting tea / biscuits for us whilst she sorted out the problem. Average 4 star hotel. Starting to get abit tired and needs a few bobs spent on the rooms
Excellent breakfast. Very nice pool and enjoyed by stay here.
Would go back ...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Just excellent! This hotel is a little gem - and with great value. Upon arrival we've been upgraded to demi-suites in their new building, which are marvellous - super-fresh, spacious, with excellent amenities, cool design in beige, bordeaux, gray and light wood. The staff is above all praises - extremely friendly, welcoming and helpful. And the breakfast is abundant - with a range from full Scottish to continental breakfast

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2012

A party of 6 of us stayed at the Kingsmills Hotel in January this year. The rooms were very spacious, comfortable and very clean. The staff were very pleasant and helpful and we enjoyed the facilites very much. The breakfasts were very good with a wide choice. All in all we had a lovely stay, but very were suprised that wifi is not free, as is the case in almost all other hotels we have stayed at in the last year.
Would definitely recommend a stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Steven D
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I stayed here with my husband for two nights during April 2012. This is a lovely hotel, very elegant decor. We had a room above the main entrance, an internet special. The bed was very comfortable and the room very quiet. The dining room and conservatory were lovely as was the main areas of the hotel. The breakfast was first class all you would want to start the day. The staff were very informative and friendly. I would definately recommend this hotel to friends and family and should I be up that way again would stay there myself.

Room Tip: The internet special deal is good value!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple