“We loved it”

Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
fochabers,moray
“We loved it”
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and myself stayed here for the weekend in a Retreat King room in the Kingsclub part of the hotel.What a beautiful room which overlooked the golf course.All the staff were very friendly and helpful,quick and easy check in and check out.As I said the room was lovely,lots of space,huge comfortable bed,big enough for three or four people!! The bathroom was very modern with a walk in shower and a bath,lovely clean fluffy towels and a few nice toiletries too.There was a mini bar but we felt it was slightly overpriced so we took our own drinks and snacks in.But we made tea and coffee in the room and they left a plate with 'welcome' written in chocolate and three cakes which was a really nice touch.There was two comfy couches to sit and look out the French doors or if it was a nice day the balcony had two chairs and a table on it.The heating in the room could be adjusted up and down or turned right off,which was good as it was very warm at night even though it's the middle of October.We had no bother with noise from other guests or from the road which is not to far away.The rooms directly below us,which are a level below the reception had their own small private patio area but I had asked for the higher level.We had booked in for a massage on the Saturday morning which we both enjoyed,the girls were friendly and professional,I would definitely recommend.The breakfasts were lovely,help yourself to everything apart from the hot drinks and cooked food,which is cooked to order,which meant it was nice and hot.The only thing we thought was a bit strange the eating area was right beside the reception so people coming and going or waiting to get a massage downstairs could see everyone at their breakfast.It didn't matter that much,just seemed a bit odd.We didn't have lunch or dinner so can't comment,did have a look at the menus though,the snack menu and the special price menu looked good,I'm sure the a la carte menu was good too we are just not into that type of food,and it was quite pricey.We went to the leisure club both days and although it may be in need of updating,it was still good?We didn't have a drink over in the main building but we had a look through it all and it all looked very nice,and had we been staying over there,we would've went to the bar and relaxed in the lounge.There was a wedding on both days we were there,so to me that says it must be a lovely hotel.We very much enjoyed our stay and it was the loveliest room we have stayed in.We will return soon.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the guest review, "We loved it", I am so glad you did. Your review is very comprehensive and I am sure other guests will appreciate it and the photographs that you posted. The Spa treatments that our team offers are so very relaxing and the perfect way for you to chill out and and enjoy the weekend.

I hope to see you back at Kingsmills again in the future.

Craig Ewan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Scotland
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on 14th October for 2 nights as a family of three.

Met by usual efficient and friendly reception. Check-in was quick and allocated a really nice family room on ground floor of main building.

Ate in hotel on 2nd night of stay and food was delicious with excellent waiter/table service.

We regularly visit this hotel in spring and autumn and remain impressed with hotel, staff, facilities, service and location.

Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest,

We always appreciate feedback so that you for your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed another great stay at Kingsmills and also enjoyed a delicious dinner with excellent service.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Inverness
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Came here today with my five year old. Had a lovely time in the swimming pool followed by a delicious lunch. Couldn't fault it. Service was tip top and merlot to die for. The best thing about swimming in the Kingsmills is definitely the changing facilities. Great showers, shampoo, conditioner, decent hair dryers.

Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very positive review regarding Sunday lunch. I am surprised we do not get more postings / reviews on Sunday lunch as it is fanfastic value for money and great quality and choice and the swim lunch option is just perfect for families.

New York
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I booked my visit to this hotel based on great Trip Advisor recommendations. Why did we have so utterly a different experience at this hotel than so many others? Their “service promise” is “Exceeding expectations with honourable passion.” That was not what we found at all. Nothing there was more than adequate. This would have been an even less favorable review had the pleasant manager not adjusted our room rate to compensate for a problem – lift broken. It took two calls to reach the front desk – no answer - before asking for the manager and having her call back. Staff was nice but that's where the happiness wanes. This is a priced medium-high hotel with lower quality services. We did not use the Spa at all.

Upon arrival, after bringing our bags across the parking lot to the front desk, we were told our rooms were in another building over the spa. We went across the way with our bags and found nobody there but one of the cleaning staff in the lobby/breakfast room area. When the desk help came out, we we were given rooms on the third floor and an apology that the lift was broken. Lads came and carted our bags up but we would have been happy not to have to wait. The hallway floor (at 4:00 PM) was littered with dirty room service trays beside several doors. Up and down the stairs - if we had been our mothers, we could not have stayed there. AND there was a booking issue – I had been told that we could book bed, breakfast and dinner for an additional 25 GBP over the B&B rate. For that we would get 30 GBP of goods for the price of 25 GBP. I was told (for certain) we could use it towards drinks in the bar or whatever if we chose not to dine there. Upon arrival I was told that was not the case and it could be applied to food only – not even beverages with meal – so we canceled that option. Not good value at all unless you eat like a linebacker.
Environmentally friendly lights in hall do not go on until motion sensor finds you. Great idea but you have to walk into a windowless pitch black corridor and it takes more than a reasonable amount of time for the lights to go on. One could break one’s neck on the food trays.
We had booked the more expensive cocoon rooms. Don’t bother! The rooms on the Spa side are an homage to the 1970s in decor. Very clean but no charm whatsoever and right on the main road so traffic noise was an issue. Beds/bedding were good though.
Dinner in the restaurant - they could not seat us until 7 PM when we asked for 6:30. We (4 of us) stayed in full sight of the nearly empty restaurant (two or three tables occupied) and had a glass of seriously overpriced for what it was wine (four glasses 50 GBP! That’s $20 a glass) until 7 - and sat with maybe three other tables occupied. Server was very nice. Food was good but again somewhat expensive for what it was. We liked the piano music.
Breakfast. Adequate but just barely so. Porridge was more like watery gruel. We sat in the tacky 1970’s environs and listened to the girl at the front desk coughing ten yards away. And without exaggeration, the coffee they served was undrinkable swill.
Lastly, I have a real problem with hotels that gouge people for Wi-Fi. Manager comped ours as part of the rate adjustment for the broken lift (thank you) but still, the ONLY place in a Scotland week to charge for it at all, much less a lot for it (and two people couldn’t be online at once in a room) – and we stayed in some very nice places.
Save your money and stay somewhere else! Actually, one could pass on Inverness altogether unless there's a specific reason to be there.

Room Tip: Ask not to have a room overlooking the main road, prefer not to stay in the Spa building and do not...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay, this is never our intention and something that we work very hard to prevent. We have had a problem with our lift that was not antisipated however that repairs has been attended to and will be resolved by the end of this week. I apologise it was not available during your stay however I was glad to read that our porters were on hand to move your luggage in and out.

I also apologise for the confusion with the dinner supplement. We have been offering this for a number of years and usually is very successful. The current price is £25 per person and that does allow you £30 of allowance, in food, to dine in the a la carte restaurant, the inglis table d' hote restaurant, lounge bar or room service. This is normally a very popular choice offering good value for money.

We do have various options of wine by the glass, there are 5 different white wines, 5 different red wines and 1 rose available. As per the table menus, they are available in three different sizes which is 125ml, 175ml and the large at 250 ml (which is actually a third of a bottle) Prices start at £3.25 and vary depending on the size of the glass and the wine sellected. I am assuming from the prices you have quoted that you have ordered large glasses of chabils or similar, which is a third of a bottle of a real quality white wine.

I was sorry to read you did not like the decore, the decore is acually just three years old. This is personal taste. I have also not had any other negative comments on the coffee offering, however I will investigate further.

The hotel does offer free wifi in the public lounges and there is a chargable service within the rooms.

Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I have been going to the Kingsmills hotel with my family for a few years now - and it keeps getting better! The staff are fantastic and could not be any more helpful, the rooms are immaculate (the beds are big and extremely comfortable!) and the food is delicious. The hotel has a lovely lounge area and is very relaxing. I have been to various hotels all over Scotland and this is without doubt my favourite. I especially recommend the New Year package, it is a great few days and the best way to celebrate the New Year! I look forward to my next visits to Kingsmills!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your guest review and title of the review, very fitting, Best Hotel in Scotland". I am delighted you are very happy with the hotel and appreciate the improvements and investment we continue to make.

I agree with you of course, especially regarding the Hogmanay packages we offer. We put our heart and soul in to these 2 night, 3 night or 4 night stays and recieve lots of very positive feedback from.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Kingsmills.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We recently spent two nights here to celebrate our anniversary. Our reason for booking this particular hotel was the reviews and we do like to make use of spa facilities when we go away.
Found the hotel easy to locate right next to Inverness golf club. No parking problems..another bonus in a city hotel. Friendly welcome at reception. We stayed in a classic king room and although spacious the furniture/decor was a bit tired and dated. Our room overlooked garden area but unfortunately also building of extension directly opposite! The lift was also out of service because of renovation, but as we were only on the first floor this was not much of a hardship. I had mentioned on booking it was our anniversary and it was a nice touch to have a plate with cakes and happy anniversary written in chocolate on it. Swimming pool & steam room/jacuzzis were fine and we made use of them both days. Had meal in bar,had to go to bar to request order as waiting staff seemed to concentrate more on the restaurant & conservatory customers. Piano player later on although felt a little sorry for him as nobody seemed to be listening. Now to breakfast..quality was good but on both mornings did not have full range of product on offer. Both mornings there was no bread for toast..had to request it,first morning no orange juice & hash browns, second morning no hash browns or fried eggs. In other hotels we have stayed in there is a chef who is stationed at buffet to ensure nothing runs out so frequently. That said we enjoyed our stay and would return but we have stayed at 5 star Scotsman in Edinburgh for less. Understand the cocoon rooms in the annexe are really nice but would be reluctant to pay almost £200 to stay in one.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your guest review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and also glad to see that our team picked up it was a special occasion for you and personalised the stay.

The comments on the breakfast restocking are inconsitant and I have already discussed this with our food and beverage team to rectify.

Thank you again and I hope to see you back at Kingsmills.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

we booked this as a last minute get away for a weekend, on arrival we were met by very nice and helpfull reception staff, our room was very spacious and the bed was massive,
we did to go to the lesiure facilites and use the pitch and putt and the swimming pool,
we booked a meal in the main resturant but were limited to the times available for some reason not explained to us,
good points-- the staff were really polite and helpfull, location was good, and the food was good (when we eventually got it see below) few bad points -- there was a used bar of soap in the shower from previous ocupant, every floor board in the part of the hotel we were staying in must have squeaked, the bed was very soft and did nothing for my back,the re was a mix up with our food the waitress delivered it to the table next to us, they got our food and started to eat it before the waitress noticed she had delivered it to the wrong table, so we had to wait w hile to get another steak, by this time the fries and onion rings we had ordered were now cold,

overall this was a very good hotel and will defo stay there again when back in inverness.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your guest review.

I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and had a positive experience.

I apologise for the delay with the service error at dinner. I would love to welcome you back to Kingsmills in the future.