“Never disappoints”

Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Never disappoints”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is our second stay in the Kingsmill and I still think its one of the best hotels in Inverness. The location is great; a quiet area but walking distance from the town centre and close to a nice pub and newsagent. All the staff were helpful and friendly, the breakfast buffet was excellent and the one evening meal we had was great - my only criticism of this is a few more vegetarian options please. The room was really big and comfortable, clean, quiet, had everything we needed and the bed was huge! However the room we were in could do with a little bit of a spruce up, there was some wear and tear on the furniture and wallpaper, etc. but still a great hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind review. Really happy to hear that our location and situation are a tick in your box. Thank you for the feedback regarding the breakfast, with over 70 different options on offer we hope there is something there to suit all palates and requirements and still enabling a varied choice but will continue to reflect on this and address where possible.

We are continually updating and refurbishing our existing rooms now that the new Wing and Suite are complete, perhaps on your next stay I could recommend a stay in the new KingsClub or New Kingsmills Wing.

We look forward to your return visit.

Craig Ewan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
glasgow
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Kingsclub at the Kingsmills for 5 nights from 14th April as a chill-out after our daughters wedding. It was the second time we had stayed here, though the last time we stayed in the hotel itself. The staff on both occasions couldn't have been nicer, couldn't do enough for us and always with a smile! Our room was spacious and comfortable, though the view was of the main road outside which was a little noisy at rush hour. Breakfast was in the Kingsclub as well, cooked to order and plenty of it.
We ate dinner twice in the Kingsmills restaurant, the food was very good, but on the second occasion there did not seem to be anyone in charge of the restaurant and the young staff (though very pleasant) seemed to struggle a bit to keep up with demand.
We also used the pool a couple of times which has the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna, changing rooms were adequate. I even managed a treatment in the spa which was lovely (thanks, Nora!) but would suggest if you are planning a treatment to book it in advance, as I only managed mine because of a cancellation.
Overall, we had a very enjoyable few days and would happily return again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Welcome back on your return stay, I am happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and got the chance to have that much needed chill out time and even managed to get a treatment in, as you mentioned booking is always recommended as it is a hot commodity.

Garden view rooms are available generally on request as well as our KingsClub executive rooms which have the added benefits of balcony and golf view. With being so centrally located with easy accessibility to the centre of the city road noise can sometimes be a small inconvenience.

Really glad to hear to you will come back and stay with us again and we look forward to that time.

Boswell, Indiana
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My wife and I toured Scotland for two weeks. We made a point of selecting hotels that had larger beds and ample parking. We also made a point of staying in manor-type hotels, knowing the higher rates to do so. The Kingsmills Hotel was one of the best we stayed in during our trip. The location in Inverness is extremely easy to get to for a person not used to UK street directions or driving lanes. We booked a Deluxe King and the room was fantastic, very spacious by UK hotel standards, very well furnished, very comfortable. The dinner was very upscale, very well presented, and delicious. The staff, both checking-in and checking-out was polite, professional and thorough. Email communcation with the reception staff, both ahead of time and after the visit, was promptly replied to and completely professional. This is an excellent hotel - facilites and staff.

Room Tip: They have many rooms to choose from - pick what you want!
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, it is always much appreciated when we receive feedback.

I hope you enjoyed your tour of Scotland, it has a lot to offer and hopefully another trip will be on the cards soon with a visit back to ourselves as well.
I am delighted to hear that you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that the associates and communication were all helpful and prompt in their delivery. The kitchen take particular pride in generating new and exciting dishes and presenting them in ways that are appetising and original.

I hope you will get a chance to visit again in the near future.

Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We booked the Kingsmill for our wedding and they made the whole experience perfect right from the first phone call to book it through to the wedding day.
The team that arrange the wedding make it such a simple and stress free process and nothing is too much trouble.
Our wedding was a small one and we got married in the hotel and due to the fact they do so many of these the photographer we used was well known by the hotel and also the registrar knew it well too which made it easy.
The whole day was perfect and Angus the wedding coordinator was very helpful and also kept the bride calm on the walk through to the room lol. He also made sure the room was set up exactly as bridezilla had planned.
We booked into the kingsmill spa part for the wedding night and had a retreat room and it was simply amazing and perfect. The breakfast in the morning was really good and the service was good.
I can't fault the whole experience we had at the Kingsmill and they made our special day very special and also stress free.

Dear Guest,

Congratulations on your nuptials and thank you for taking the time to write a review when I know how busy it is after all the excitement of the special day. Thank you letters etc…

Every Bride and Groom deserves the day of their dreams and I hope we went some way to making that happen for you. The Administration team work exceptionally hard to ensure all the details are captured and on the day the Operations team try to pre-empt every need prior to your request.

Thank you for your kind feedback and we hope to see you again possibly for a 1st Anniversary Dinner and stay ??? ( there’s a tip for some Browney points for next year )

central
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I booked this quite late and got a good price (about £60/night), but it felt like I was given the worst possible room as a result. Having read other reviews I suspect that the hotel is being refurbished and perhaps once it is done it will improve, but they need to get around to the pool/spa area and then think about the breakfast and the staff to make this a hotel that exceeds the chain brands.

Good stuff first: The bed was very comfortable, the room quite pleasant and the blackout curtains kept it nice and dark, so I slept well. The lounges were traditional and well presented.

However everything else about the hotel let it down. The room furniture and hot stuffy bathroom were dated and worn out. There was lots of renovation work going on in the corridor I was in, so I was walking around workmen and materials to get to and from my room. One member of staff decided to vacuum outside my room at 2am. The breakfast was a total let down, with watery porridge, dried out scrambled eggs and few vegetarian options. Even though I had booked and paid for it I didn't bother the second day. In the evenings the staff repeatedly argued amongst themselves about why the till was ten pounds short whilst I sat in the lounge to use the Wi-Fi (the charges for using it in the room were extortionate).

The pool and spa were really grotty and should not be advertised at all. If I were managing the hotel I'd see them as an embarrassment and prioritise them for renovation. (King's Club? Even the peasants would find it revolting). The pool ranges from about 50cm deep to a little over a metre, and its no longer than a few strokes across anyway, so it wasn't the kids of place you could do lengths. The changing rooms and pool/spa surrounds were totally run down and grimy. There was a loud whining noise in the area of the sauna, stream room and Jacuzzi, which was a shame as the latter was nice and hot (though you need to know where to find the button on the wall to turn the bubbles on). The gym was very small and sadly had only one barbell (fixed at 40kg) and one dumbbell, though it was probably sufficient for a one off visit. I could see why most of the patrons of the club were long past retirement, as this would fall below the expectations of most gym members. This was a shame as the one genuinely friendly and helpful member of staff I spoke to was a young lass there.

So I was left with feeling that as a place to sleep it was very good, but in every other way it fell short of my expectations. I'd have been gutted if I'd paid full price. And no response to my feedback :(

Room Tip: Get one that has been refurbished!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Richmond
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My Wife and I took our first trip to Inverness and our travel agent recommended Kingsmills. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were very quite and nicely furnished. I purchased the wifi for the room and when it did not work the charge was was removed. The only negative thing I can say is the view out the window was the roof; however, we did not come to Inverness to look out a window.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I hope you enjoyed your trip of Inverness, the Highlands and further afield?
Perhaps on your next stay with us I could recommend one of our Executive rooms in the New Kingsclub with balconies and terrific views over the golf course.

Super to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hopefully we will see you again in the near future.

Scotland
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stay in Inverness often and Kingsmill is my first choice. I was put in the new wing this time (room numbers 3xx and 4xx), the rooms are different class. I have stayed in hotels all over the UK and you will search a long time to find a room of this quality. Everything has been done to a high standard, finishes, carpets, lovely fluffy towels, fantastic bathroom and shower, terrific huge comfortable beds. I have been critical in the past of rooms 6-11 at the Kingsmills, but these new ones are, well just WOW !

Well done Kingsmills, setting the standard not only in The Highlands but in Scotland.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new block, in fact insist !
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business