“Lovely Hotel but check the room temperature if visiting during a "hot spell"!”
Review of Kingsmills Hotel

Kingsmills Hotel
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 7 July 2009

We were redirected to this hotel after an overbooking at the local Drumossie Hotel for one night during a “hot spell” (yes they do occur in Scotland!!) in June. We found the hotel to be extremely clean and the staff very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and spacious although extremely hot even though it had a fan. It was room 100 and overlooked a flat roof with some extraction fans so I don’t know if these contributed to the temperature, however even with the fan it was like walking into a furnace. The window only opened part way for air and there was no air-conditioning to cool the room down (the receptionist later advised us that there was no air conditioning in the hotel). Also I don’t know whether we were allocated this room as we were a “redirected” guest from an overbooking elsewhere? We had booked a meal at a local restaurant for our anniversary so our only experience of the restaurant was at breakfast. The breakfast room was extremely well managed with all the staff efficient, well mannered and friendly. The choice from the buffet was excellent, well stocked and fresh. The general surroundings and tables were also clean and well presented. I would certainly go back to this hotel although if during the summer I would need some reassurances regarding the room temperature!!

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 July 2009

Stayed in Kingsmill for one night – we actually just showed up around 10:00 pm and booked a room after driving through the highlands for the afternoon. The rooms are clean and comfortable, but a little dated. We had ground floor room with access to the wonderful gardens. The room was 140 GBP per night for 4 adults (two older teenagers)…the room had a king size bed for my wife and me, but bulk beds for my teenage girls. The girls complained about the beds being uncomfortable. Breakfast was included in the room charge and it was pretty good…nice selection. They have wireless Internet…5 GBP for 1 hour, 10 GBP all day. Overall, it a good hotel…not sure if I would force my girls to the bulk beds, but it’s a decent place to stay if you find yourself in Inverness, Scotland.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2009

My husband and I stayed here only one night, and while the accomodations weren't particularly lacking in any way, they were really not that great either. We didn't have time to take advantage of their sports club and we weren't there for very long, so we may not be the best judges of quality.

The staff were professional, although not overly friendly. The breakfast buffet was filling but not particularly delicious. The room was dated, but comfortable.

My only real complaint is that the room was a tad over-priced. All in all, should we come back to Inverness we would probably try another lodging but we would not be appalled if we, for some reason, had to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2009

Found the Kingsmills online, and was pleasantly surprised. Rm 119 was comfortable, clean, and just what we were looking for. Most staff were friendly&helpful, and food was good! No complaints. (Only one minor issue, two younger members of staff, could've been more attentive in the dining area.) We had to ask re beverages etc....Nothing major!
Would definitely recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2009

We stayed for three nights end of May. We booked a garden room but were given a room overlooking a flat roof with air conditioning vents. After complaining about the outlook of the room we were moved to a Garden Room that we had booked anyway. What a difference, the room was huge, the bed was huge, the bathroom was huge. It was a lovely room altogether. Sky sports on the TV made my husband happy.

One thing that spoilt our stay was the noise from people walking around in the room above. The floorboards creak terribly - it really is excessive. My tip is to ask for a room on the first floor rather than the ground floor to save being woken up by early risers.

Breakfast was hot and tasty with a good selection. We only ate in the conservatory one night but the meal was excellent. We found all of the staff friendly and helpful.

One big thing that upset me was the charge for Wifi at £6 an hour. Don't they know that almost everywhere in the world it is free. After all it costs absolutely nothing to the hotel. No problem though, lots of bars, restaurants in Inverness have free wifi.

Try walking down to the road to "The Fluke" pub, right turn out of hotel, about ten minutes down the road on your right. Good beer prices, good home cooked food, FREE WIFI.

Inverness is easy to walk into from this hotel. Good location

Reviewed 1 June 2009

Stayed one night on 30th May. We booked a deluxe non smoking room - and got neither. the only deluxe room left when we checked in was a smoking one - and I could not get past the door before wanting to throw up from the stench of the room. the staff offered no alternative - it was up to me to ask for another room. We ended up down grading to a standard room - offered no apology or anything to make up for the disruption to our stay. Bathroom was awful, tiny shower, almost no toiletries provided. no mini-bar of fridge in room. In room facilities were also not that of a supposed 4 star hotel. Bitterly disappointed with the service of the staff - when we asked at breakfast if we could sit in the conservatory, we got a resounding no - there were empty tables in the garden but we had to sit in the stuffy dining room. When checking out,. the receptionist could not look us in the face, ask if our visit was okay or even smile......dreadful.
No way should this hotel be No 4 in Inverness according to Trip Advisor

2  Thank SuperScotsGal
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2009

I was very disappointed to read your comments regarding your stay at Kingsmills Hotel.
Please can I ask you contact me directly at the hotel to allow me to address your comments in detail?

I look forward to hearing from you,

Craig Ewan,
General Manager.

Reviewed 30 May 2009

We only paid £100 for a double room here, and perhaps that's why we were stuck round the back of the hotel, looking out onto the aircon unit, and hearing its gentle whirr. I'm sure the plusher suites would be better, and had our room and bathroom been a little better I would have no problem recommending the place as everything else was fine and I preferred it over big brand, huge hotels.
We didn't have any specific problems with it, but it just didn't feel like a 4 star hotel from were we were. The bathroom was small and the fixtures were standard; the hotel provided soap and shower gel but nothing else.
Pros: The breakfast was good and had a long serving time, and the staff were very helpful. The location isn't right in the centre, but it's easy to get to when coming from the A9 and the taxi journey to the city centre cost under a fiver each way.