“Nightmare at Kingsmills, Hallow'en came early”
Review of Kingsmills Hotel

Kingsmills Hotel
Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
“Nightmare at Kingsmills, Hallow'en came early”
Reviewed 25 October 2010

So on checkin I joined a long queue of travellers, most had a problem, wrong name, no booking etc and the most dour receptionist imaginable ( to be fair she was on her own) but not helpful, not smiling and looked thoroughly depressed. Luckily my room was there with no issue so a better start or so I thought. I got to the room - the smell of stale tobacco is horrible. I didn't mention that to reception as I think my booking didn't specify (note to file from now on). Next I needed wifi - contact reception by phone - 10 minutes still no reply ( I am serious no lying) in end I gave up and went down to reception and then waited for other weary travellers to check in before being handed my code wifi (£14.95 for 24 hours). At least it works and was quick. Now to room service - 20 mins on phone - no one answered again. So reverted back to the DYI option, I took my order down to the reception staff , well if you could find her ; she was hiding in a back office and I needed to get another member of staff to find her - the phones were ringing off the hook! When the lady did arrive, again there was a dour reception - and complaints from her that she was on her own. I accept this is poor management at peak check in time but OMG not a smile in sight - it was so depressing. Room service when it arrived was reasonable but overpriced - £30 for grilled chicken, a sandwich and 2 diet cokes. Doubt I would give this hotel a second chance when there is are several to choose from at 4 star level in Inverness. Would suggest that the management do not take custom for granted - I work for a large blue chip and would not recommend.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Netherby
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response. I apologise you were not satisfied by the service and attitude offered by the reception team on the night of your stay. I am surprised at the lack of positive attitude as this is something we work on and get lots of positive feedback regarding our friendly staff.

Kingsmills Hotel still has smoking rooms however they are limited tto only 6 rooms out of 114.

Kingsmills does have a chargable wifi service in the bedrooms which starts from £4.95 for 60 mininutes upto £14.95 for 24 hours. However the time is actual time on the service. I.E. you could buy 60 minutes and log on and off using 10 minutes a day over a six day period.

There is also a free internet kiosk in the lounge area if you do not want to purchase the wifi.

If you plan to return to Inverness I would very much like to encourage you back to Kingsmills hotel, please contact me directly.

Craig Ewan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2010

We stayed at the Kingsclub part of the hotel last Friday (15th Oct), to celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary. We booked a King Retreat room, which was superb. The room was huge, well-furnished and the bed was the biggest I have ever slept in and very comfy. There were two sofas, wide screen TV and a balcony area which overlooked the golf course. The stylish bathroom also had an enormous walk in shower.
The staff were attentive especially Justine, who recommended a lovely restaurant in the town centre. My wife enjoyed a massage in the spa which was just across from our room.
The breakfast was good quality and was enjoyed in the contemporary surroundings of the entrance lounge area.
All in all a great stay and I would not hesitate to book again and recommend it to others.
If there was one negative it would be that the pool area is very tired and out-dated which was a shame.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback.

I am glad you enjoyed your Kingsclub experience, it is a fantastic hotel and the team do try and peronalise every guests stay.

The leisure club is on our refurbishment plans.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2010

The KingsMill Hotel it's self is a fantastic hotel with great facilities(most of them are inclusive in you'r stay) the room was spacious and clean although we had a problem with a seperate bed for our teenagers but what let the hotel down was the staff as they were unorganized and tried to charge us double the price of our original price ! but with time they realised they're mistake but overall this was a good hotel the restaurant has the same menu on everyday and they're isn't a lot of choice with the main course's which is oky depending on how long you'r stay is but i would recommend

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I have shared this information with our front office team, there had obviously been a mistake made with your price which I am glad was rectified.

The hotel has two restaurants the Inglis restaurant and the conservatory restaurant, offering different menus. I will take on you your feedback regarding limited choice and communicate to our exec chef who is designing the next menu changes due to take place the first week in January.

Thanks again for your feedback. It will be taken onboard.

Bournemouth
Reviewed 10 October 2010

A strange mixture of good and bad - we were left not knowing how to score this place. First - the upside - the room was clean with a very large bathroom and the bed was large and comfortable with plenty of pillows. The breakfast was pleasant with nice quality produce (although I do prefer toast to be brought to the table rather than D-I-Y).The breakfast staff were all lovely and the concierge Bill Sloan was welcoming and helpful. The strange mixture starts at the reception with staff who went from warm, friendly, helpful and informative to lacking in knowledge, apologetic for the things the hotel didnt have, to the downright curt and somewhat rude. Different faces appeared rather frequently at reception so we didnt really get to know anyone. Our check-in on 6 October was pleasant enough (although it was a bit fraught due to a large funeral reception taking place at the time and we were a bit non-plussed at the requirement to make a £50 deposit for any purchases made when they had our credit card details anyway) but my partners check-out on the 8 October was processed by a woman who said a terse 'can I help?' with no eye contact or conversation at all. Quite unpleasant. The other receptionist in the meantime was chatting to guests and asking them if they enjoyed their holiday with a lovely smile etc. We had booked a garden view room on the ground floor and got a first floor room overlooking the car park and right over the front entrance (ironically called room 101!). This mean't that we heard the coaches pulling up and the smokers having a chat into the night as they stood under our open windows - the trade off against the heat of the room. Having said that the rest of the time was quiet. The dressing table chair had lost its hydraulics and so kept falling down as I was trying to dry my hair at the mirror. There were missing TV channels and a reference to a TV guide that didnt exist. I asked the receptionist for a sewing kit for my trouser hem to be told apologetically as she fumbled in a drawer that they were 'on order'. Clearly there was no feedback form in our rooms which the hotel could have used to listen to its clients and seek to improve its service, hence the inconsistent staff behaviour and quality of service. I think this hotel is a bit tired and relies on loyal customers and corporate bookings for people who only stay a night at a time and move on. Perhaps we would have formed a differernt view had we stayed in the modern, garden view part. We didnt have dinner as we were advised by a regular visitor that the food was average for the prices charged. We ate at the Mustard Seed and it's sister restaurant The Kitchen on the riverside - (a 15-20 minute walk) , both of which were very good. How do I sum up? Like I said - a Curate's Egg - good in parts but so easily fixable with a bit of customer feedback, room maintenance, attention to detail and, most importantly, some consistent staff training.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gillian D
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

The "garden rooms" are our entry level of rooms, which you originally reserved, and you were upgraded to your room type, I apologise that this was not communicated to you. Since the change of ownership the new owners are investing back into the property, however this has to be carried out in stages and can not all be done at once. There are plans to modernise these room types also. I can confirm that all the rooms in the Macleod wing of the hotel(57 rooms), just last week were installed with brand new large flat screen tvs with freeview channels. All of our rooms also have sky sports 1, 2, 3 and 4.

I take on board your feedback regarding front desk and have shared this with our front office team and our front office manager is re-freshing training with all the team.

Your feedback is import to us. Regarding our dinner offering, I was dissapointed you did not get the chance to sample our dinner dishes. This year we added a two rossette chef to our team and his food quality and presentation is excellent.

Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2010

We returned to the Kingsmills for our 8th visit. and a 7 day break from the pace of London. The hotel is well situated to mix good shopping with excellent walking nearby. The booking staff (Christa) discovered that this holiday was to celebrate my 60th birthday and a beautiful complimentary plate of strawberries and chocolates awaited us in our room - most welcome after our 12 hour drive. Reception and porter staff recognised us from previous visits and greeted us like long lost relatives. The room had a huge and amazingly comfortable bed, so comfy that I enquiried where I could buy a similar one. The bathroom had both a separate shower and large bath (very welcome after 15 mile walks!) Breakfast was very good, as I am vegetarian I choose omelettes instead of the usual bacon and sausages. Unfortunately the jacuzzi was being replaced in the pool area, but this did not really stop our enjoyment of the leisure facilities. Parking available always even when a wedding reception/corporate event was taking place and the town centre (which has excellent shopping) is only a 15 minute walk away and on a bus route. If I have one very minor complaint, it was that the wedding reception party/guests using the bar late at night, tended to stand outside to smoke and the smoke and their talking wafted upwards to our room. We will be back for more rest, walking and fabulour air next year

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am glad you enjoyed another visit to Kingmills. I was delighted to read that you choose our hotel to spend your special birthday at.

I am glad you enjoyed the comfort of the hotel and the godd food offering. Our team are very good at recognising repeat customers and I am glad there efforts were noticed and appreciated.

I can confirm a new spa jacuzzi has been fitted in the leisure club, it is really good. You will notice on your next trip.

Next year we have plans to build a smoking shelter to deflect the smokers away from our front door, this will be tied into other expansion plans that are currently being developed.

Yours sincerely

UK
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Having read the reviews on the Kingsmills Hotel we decided to book the Kingsclub and Spa new annex for our three night stay. We had a room on the first floor which was very spacious with a lovely balcony overlooking the golf course. Nice to have a seating area in the room by the window and the bed was huge and very comfy. Large walk in shower and seperate bath. The only fault with this was there no hand held attachment for rinsing hair so if you make use of the pool do everything there. The pool was in the main hotel which involved a walk through the main car park, towels are provided but the area felt dated and the pool not that big. Very useful to have free use of a small computer suite for check in at the airport .Staff friendly and helpful and we would certainly consider a return visit.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your guest feedback, I am glad you really enjoyed your stay at our new Kingsclub and Spa. Whilst you walked up to the main Kingsmills hotel to use the leisure club, we also offer a buggie service from door to door. If this was not clear, I take on board and will advertise this fact further.

Look forward to welcoming you back at some point in the future.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed 3 October 2010

This was the first time we’ve stayed at the Kingsmill for a couple of years and since they’ve done the refurbishment and we both liked what they’ve done to the place.

Check in was efficient although the receptionist didn't exactly go overboard on the welcoming. We were allocated a room in the main hotel rather than the newer Kings Club building and whilst yes it could be described as old fashioned it had one big plus over newer hotels/rooms – decent soundproofing so no hearing you next door/upstairs neighbours and decent sized rooms!

The room was very big with 2 very comfy seats (and a little table) which was great as it saved you having to sit/lie on the bed to watch TV. The TV was still an old fashioned one but that will be changed soon enough I’d imagine given Inverness are about to undergo the digital switch off in a couple of weeks. The bathroom was very big too and I liked the separate shower from the bath and the fact it was a walk in shower too.

I really like the new lounge/conservatory area post renovation – hardly anyone used to use the conservatory for food when we were there previously but on both nights it was very busy. The sofa’s and chairs are very comfy too and I liked the fact they kept the guy on too who plays the piano – much better than listening to the standard piped music!

The restaurant was busy both days although there was no waiting time for a table, you were promptly shown to one and you tea/coffee order taken. It was a help yourself job to the breakfast buffet and well done for having Coco Pops! The hot stuff was plentiful on the Saturday but on the Sunday there was lot of shortages of everything so you had a wee bit of a wait whilst fresh supplies were brought out of the kitchen.

Checkout was a breeze and this time the receptionist was much more friendlier and chatted away whilst we did all the paperwork.

My only grumble was the extortionate cost of the internet - £15 for 24 hours!!!! (You could buy lesser time but it was still proportionately expensive!) Instead of paying that I used my Vodafone PAYG dongle and saved myself a fortune.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple