“I think we were lucky”
Review of Kingsmills Hotel

Kingsmills Hotel
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 3 November 2010

I wasn't going to write a review but having read some recent ones, felt I should.

I wonder if some of the difficulties some people have may boil down to which room you get. Some friends stayed at the same time as us in the annexe at full price and said they wouldn't stay again but we had an excellent experience in the main building and thanks to Tripadvisor's booking links got a good price for it too.

It would be nice if it were closer to the centre, but the hotel looks good when you arrive, has a good carpark, and a friendly and capable reception. The room was much bigger than we usually experience with large twin beds, and the "dated" look some complain of I regard as "period" and adds a nice classy traditional Scottish atmosphere. We used the modestly sized modern swimming pool free of charge (which also sells costumes) and the hot jacuzzi. There are steam and sauna rooms too. Later we ate in the spacious restaurant and the food was good quality - at £40 for the two of us, a bit more than we usually pay, but the excellent live pianist playing while we were eating more than made up for that and made it an experience to remember. There is also a comfortable lounge area. Breakfast was fine. The only thing I can recall as a problem was the mouldy silicone under the lip of the built-in sink.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2010

At Kingsmills, we have two hotels the original hotel, Kingsmills Hotel which is 77 bedrrooms and dates back to 1870's and earlier this year (May 2010) we opened the Kingsclub and Spa which is 37 bedrooms. Kingsclub is modern contemporary hotel, which I am disappointed it see it reffered to as an annexe. It is a fantastic modern hotel which has all the services to be a stand alone hotel, however Kingsclub guests are allowed to use all Kingsmills facilities also.

Reviewed 31 October 2010

This time I stayed in the King's Club. I have stayed here a number of times before, almost since the King's Club opened. The staff are attentive, the decor good but there are some things which are starting to need attention. There were bits falling off the shower and the drainage for the shower and sink not great.
Otherwise, this is a good quality hotel, except for charging fro wifi access. There is complimentary internet access in the business centre but I can never understand the need to charge separately for wifi.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write the review. I am glad you like the new Kingsclub and Spa. The team there are very friendly and do look after all guests to a high standard. Since your feedback we have investigated the drainage issues you have mentioned regarding the showers and had these adjusted. Like all new buildings there are allows some little points which do not come stright away, however this is now resolved.

Reviewed 27 October 2010

Rooms were of good size,but needed to be redone. Lighting for reading was poor. Whie the bathroom had a stall shower, it was very, very cramped.The restaurant was very disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank daylilly50

Thank you for your feedback.

Kingsmills hotel changed ownership in November 2007, since then the new owners have been investing back into the hotel which has increased the condition standards greatly. The investment will continue through out the whole hotel, however I hope you can appreciate it can not all be done at once.

If you would like to contact me directly I would be keen to hear your comments on your poor restaurant experience.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed 25 October 2010

So on checkin I joined a long queue of travellers, most had a problem, wrong name, no booking etc and the most dour receptionist imaginable ( to be fair she was on her own) but not helpful, not smiling and looked thoroughly depressed. Luckily my room was there with no issue so a better start or so I thought. I got to the room - the smell of stale tobacco is horrible. I didn't mention that to reception as I think my booking didn't specify (note to file from now on). Next I needed wifi - contact reception by phone - 10 minutes still no reply ( I am serious no lying) in end I gave up and went down to reception and then waited for other weary travellers to check in before being handed my code wifi (£14.95 for 24 hours). At least it works and was quick. Now to room service - 20 mins on phone - no one answered again. So reverted back to the DYI option, I took my order down to the reception staff , well if you could find her ; she was hiding in a back office and I needed to get another member of staff to find her - the phones were ringing off the hook! When the lady did arrive, again there was a dour reception - and complaints from her that she was on her own. I accept this is poor management at peak check in time but OMG not a smile in sight - it was so depressing. Room service when it arrived was reasonable but overpriced - £30 for grilled chicken, a sandwich and 2 diet cokes. Doubt I would give this hotel a second chance when there is are several to choose from at 4 star level in Inverness. Would suggest that the management do not take custom for granted - I work for a large blue chip and would not recommend.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Netherby

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response. I apologise you were not satisfied by the service and attitude offered by the reception team on the night of your stay. I am surprised at the lack of positive attitude as this is something we work on and get lots of positive feedback regarding our friendly staff.

Kingsmills Hotel still has smoking rooms however they are limited tto only 6 rooms out of 114.

Kingsmills does have a chargable wifi service in the bedrooms which starts from £4.95 for 60 mininutes upto £14.95 for 24 hours. However the time is actual time on the service. I.E. you could buy 60 minutes and log on and off using 10 minutes a day over a six day period.

There is also a free internet kiosk in the lounge area if you do not want to purchase the wifi.

If you plan to return to Inverness I would very much like to encourage you back to Kingsmills hotel, please contact me directly.

Reviewed 21 October 2010

We stayed at the Kingsclub part of the hotel last Friday (15th Oct), to celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary. We booked a King Retreat room, which was superb. The room was huge, well-furnished and the bed was the biggest I have ever slept in and very comfy. There were two sofas, wide screen TV and a balcony area which overlooked the golf course. The stylish bathroom also had an enormous walk in shower.
The staff were attentive especially Justine, who recommended a lovely restaurant in the town centre. My wife enjoyed a massage in the spa which was just across from our room.
The breakfast was good quality and was enjoyed in the contemporary surroundings of the entrance lounge area.
All in all a great stay and I would not hesitate to book again and recommend it to others.
If there was one negative it would be that the pool area is very tired and out-dated which was a shame.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback.

I am glad you enjoyed your Kingsclub experience, it is a fantastic hotel and the team do try and peronalise every guests stay.

The leisure club is on our refurbishment plans.

Reviewed 16 October 2010

The KingsMill Hotel it's self is a fantastic hotel with great facilities(most of them are inclusive in you'r stay) the room was spacious and clean although we had a problem with a seperate bed for our teenagers but what let the hotel down was the staff as they were unorganized and tried to charge us double the price of our original price ! but with time they realised they're mistake but overall this was a good hotel the restaurant has the same menu on everyday and they're isn't a lot of choice with the main course's which is oky depending on how long you'r stay is but i would recommend

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I have shared this information with our front office team, there had obviously been a mistake made with your price which I am glad was rectified.

The hotel has two restaurants the Inglis restaurant and the conservatory restaurant, offering different menus. I will take on you your feedback regarding limited choice and communicate to our exec chef who is designing the next menu changes due to take place the first week in January.

Thanks again for your feedback. It will be taken onboard.

Reviewed 10 October 2010

A strange mixture of good and bad - we were left not knowing how to score this place. First - the upside - the room was clean with a very large bathroom and the bed was large and comfortable with plenty of pillows. The breakfast was pleasant with nice quality produce (although I do prefer toast to be brought to the table rather than D-I-Y).The breakfast staff were all lovely and the concierge Bill Sloan was welcoming and helpful. The strange mixture starts at the reception with staff who went from warm, friendly, helpful and informative to lacking in knowledge, apologetic for the things the hotel didnt have, to the downright curt and somewhat rude. Different faces appeared rather frequently at reception so we didnt really get to know anyone. Our check-in on 6 October was pleasant enough (although it was a bit fraught due to a large funeral reception taking place at the time and we were a bit non-plussed at the requirement to make a £50 deposit for any purchases made when they had our credit card details anyway) but my partners check-out on the 8 October was processed by a woman who said a terse 'can I help?' with no eye contact or conversation at all. Quite unpleasant. The other receptionist in the meantime was chatting to guests and asking them if they enjoyed their holiday with a lovely smile etc. We had booked a garden view room on the ground floor and got a first floor room overlooking the car park and right over the front entrance (ironically called room 101!). This mean't that we heard the coaches pulling up and the smokers having a chat into the night as they stood under our open windows - the trade off against the heat of the room. Having said that the rest of the time was quiet. The dressing table chair had lost its hydraulics and so kept falling down as I was trying to dry my hair at the mirror. There were missing TV channels and a reference to a TV guide that didnt exist. I asked the receptionist for a sewing kit for my trouser hem to be told apologetically as she fumbled in a drawer that they were 'on order'. Clearly there was no feedback form in our rooms which the hotel could have used to listen to its clients and seek to improve its service, hence the inconsistent staff behaviour and quality of service. I think this hotel is a bit tired and relies on loyal customers and corporate bookings for people who only stay a night at a time and move on. Perhaps we would have formed a differernt view had we stayed in the modern, garden view part. We didnt have dinner as we were advised by a regular visitor that the food was average for the prices charged. We ate at the Mustard Seed and it's sister restaurant The Kitchen on the riverside - (a 15-20 minute walk) , both of which were very good. How do I sum up? Like I said - a Curate's Egg - good in parts but so easily fixable with a bit of customer feedback, room maintenance, attention to detail and, most importantly, some consistent staff training.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gillian D

Thank you for your feedback.

The "garden rooms" are our entry level of rooms, which you originally reserved, and you were upgraded to your room type, I apologise that this was not communicated to you. Since the change of ownership the new owners are investing back into the property, however this has to be carried out in stages and can not all be done at once. There are plans to modernise these room types also. I can confirm that all the rooms in the Macleod wing of the hotel(57 rooms), just last week were installed with brand new large flat screen tvs with freeview channels. All of our rooms also have sky sports 1, 2, 3 and 4.

I take on board your feedback regarding front desk and have shared this with our front office team and our front office manager is re-freshing training with all the team.

Your feedback is import to us. Regarding our dinner offering, I was dissapointed you did not get the chance to sample our dinner dishes. This year we added a two rossette chef to our team and his food quality and presentation is excellent.