“1 night Saturday stay”

Ranked #23 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“1 night Saturday stay”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Stayed in Glen Mhor for x1 night for £60. Location excellent by river. Breakfast very good. We were obviously upgraded to one of the front more expensive rooms. SO for that I will give it 5 stars as the rooms were huge.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
glenmhormanager, General Manager at Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Many thanks for your very kind review.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
ABERDEENSHIRE
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Booked into the Glen Mhor for one night B&B yesterday. I would give this hotel ten out of ten plus. It is a beautiful hotel overlooking the Ness, the cathedral and Eden Court Theatre. The staff are extremely helpful and attentive. The hotel is spotless and tastefully decorated. My daughter and I were in a twin room which was spacious and very attractive. It was also ensuite. We couldn't eat in the restaurant as it was fully booked but later on in the evening had a drink in the bar, which was very comfortable and warmly lit. Breakfast was served in the dining room and was a buffet and you were also offered a cooked breakfast. I would rate this service as ten out of ten plus, again. I really don't think you would find a better hotel with this service in Inverness. I would recommend this hotel and my daughter and I are going to try and make it a regular visit.

Room Tip: i would discuss this when booking as the staff are extremely helpful and understanding.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
glenmhormanager, Manager at Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Many thanks for your kind review.
Bury St Edmunds
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I unfortunately only stayed the one night at The Alexander, but was made to feel very welcome and felt very much that the service was individualised; I was treated like a family friend - from the welcome at the front door to being escourted to my room and the service at breakfast - it was very enjoyable.

The building is very tastefully decorated, the room I had did have slanting walls but for me this was not an issue. The carpets were plush and thick and the bed large and comfortable (if a little squeeky!). The room had natural light and importantly, very good heating - vital in Scotland at any time of year! My room had river views, but these are obscured by the large trees on the river bank opposite but all the same, you can look out onto the roch and down the street - and in the morning it was a clear bright day and it was lovely having a cup of tea while watching the activity happening outside. The cooked breakfast was lush and set me up for the day ahead.

I would most definietly stay again at The Alexander and to both hosts for looking after me so well - Thank you!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Isle of Skye
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I had booked two double rooms through Expedia for ourselves and a couple of friends for one night. We arrived to be told there had only been one room booked and that they were fully booked so couldn't accommodate us all. They blamed Expedia for the oversight and said that, despite the fact we had got two booking references and had paid in full for both rooms, there was nothing they could do to help us! I spent 15 mins arguing and pleading with them to help sort it out, when suddenly another receptionist came and pulled the other one to one side looking very sheepish holding a booking card. They proceeded to whisper to each other, not communicating with us, the customer, at all! After 5 mins of whispering I called across to them to question what was happening, to be snapped at that there wasn't a problem and they were just allocating us the two rooms! I suggested an apology might be in order, as we'd spent 15mins thinking we hadn't got anywhere to stay, but none was forthcoming. In fact the receptionist was extremely rude and acted as if nothing had happened! Blaming expedia for their mistake and then not apologising was extremely rude and not the sort of welcome I expect when checking in! Later that evening we went for drinks in the bar, very poor service again, and was charged an extortionate £25 for 4 drinks! We then got another round half an hour later exactly the same, but £27 this time! That's inflation! When I queried why the price had gone up the bar man simply printed off the receipt and at the same time said he wasn't going to argue over £2 and almost threw it at me! No apology again, just a very negative frost reaction to me, quite rightly, questioning the bill! This was my 3rd stay at this hotel and the staff completely let it down, I will not be returning again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank SkyeGirl64
We are sorry to hear of your disappointment with us.
We found out that you put your first name as your surname when you booked your room. This has been very confusing, as other bookings had same name as you.
Obviously this should have been dealt with more appropriate and efficient manners.
I believe we offered you a drink while you were waiting.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.
We look forward to welcoming you again in hope we might regain your faith in the Glen Mhor Hotel.

Travellers are raving about these Inverness hotels

United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

A brief one night stay as part of travelling across Scotland. Check in was completed in a fast and friendly manner and all relevant times and locations for breakfast and dinner provided. Great breakfast and hot breakfast was of good quality. Staff seemed friendly, warm and sincere and would stay again. Bit of a touch up needed in the bathroom of room 305 in the cottage but was clean, tidy and smart.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
glenmhormanager, Manager at Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review.
Refurbishment of bathroom room 305 is planned for early January.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay overall and look froward to welcoming you again soon.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stayed in this hotel during a shopping weekend break with my mother. Great location - short walk to the shops but surroundings were pretty quiet. I had to have medical supplies delivered ahead of my arrival and the hotel stored them for me. Thanks to Matthew and Roddy for taking my heavy boxes upstairs! We were at the very top of 'Struan' so coombed ceilings. The room was quite small so we kept my medical stuff outside on the landing.

Shower was blocked very badly (I had to pause mid-shower just to let the water drain away). The following afternoon someone came up and put bleach down the shower. This did help slightly but clearly there was still some blockage.

Wifi was a disaster! Their instructions on connecting weren't clear, and it was down for pretty much my whole trip. When it did work I found it very slow. Very disappointed with that.

Overall it does the job. I think it was fair for what we paid (got a cheaper deal) but improvements could be made.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
glenmhormanager, Manager at Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to put a review.
We will take the time to review the comments made and we will use your feedback as part of our on-going commitment to improve.
Internet access can be difficult sometimes as our area doesn't have fiber yet - planned for March.

Yours sincerely,
Huntly, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We booked this hotel for the night of 6th November, as we were collecting visitors from Inverness Airport, on their first visit to Scotland, and wanted to show them the surrounding area. Having stayed here before, we thought we would be safe with our choice, how wrong we were.

We booked months in advance, reserving 2 double rooms with river view, and paying the extra for the view. When we arrived the rooms weren't ready, so we said we would have a drink in the bar for the 20mins they said it would take for them to be ready. In the bar the log burner wasn't on, and it was totally freezing, as was the same with the reception area, no fire lit. These are things that make a place welcoming, and due to the fact there are guests on the go at all times of the day in the hotel, the fires should always be lit for their comfort. When we eventually got our rooms, one of the rooms was in a seperate building, with no sea view, unless you went up beside the dressing table and peered out the small window. When we complained that the rooms had been booked together, and both should have river views, we were told that was the river view for that room, we said this wasn't acceptable. We were then offered a room in another guest house further along the street, with a river view. This was obviously no use, as we wanted to stay together, so we said we would just stay where we were. She then informed us, that the other room had actually been upgraded before our arrival, to a superior room, as there were no doubles left. This room was a great size, with the perfect view, but the bed was an old four poster that felt like, and sounded like, it was going to collapse every time you moved. The bathroom also left a lot to be desired, being extremely old, and all the faults just being painted over, when what it really needs, is a refurb.

After being out for a meal at night, we went to the hotel bar for a drink before bed. The fire was now on, which made it a much nicer place to be. When the gents went to the bar, it was very dirty and wet with previous drinks that had been served. They asked the barman to clean this before serving them, but he only wiped the bit they were standing at, instead of the whole bar area, which is only small.

We have since found out that the hotel has been sold, and it had new owners when we stayed. But we won't be back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
We were sorry to hear of your disappointment on your last stay with us.

All our bedrooms are getting refurbished this winter.
Please bear in mind that check in time is 3pm however we do our best to accommodate our customers when arriving early.

We look forward to welcoming you an other time, in hope you might regain the faith in the Glen Mhor Hotel.