“Disappointed”

Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #23 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Coming from Inverness myself, I thought the Glen Mhor would be a perfect place for my partner and I to spend a weekend as tourists. I left feeling very disappointed and frustrated. What I paid for the room each night has a certain level of expectation, like a bath, suitable heating etc. When I arrived (thankfully before my partner) I was given the usual information of areas of hotel etc and showed where to go to find my room. The room was in the Struan building, the room was really cold when I arrived so I kept my jacket on whilst I had a look around. The room was adequate size but didn't have a bath. I called reception and asked if there was another room with same view that had a bath, I was advised that there was a £10 upgrade, then this changed to £20. I wasn't sure what the charge was for so I asked to see the room, the receptionist advised the Manager would come and collect me to show me the room. 45 minutes later I had to call the receptionist again as the Manager had no appeared. There was no apology or any sort of interest from the receptionist. The Manager then arrived about 10 minutes later to show me an alternative room, he then gave me a charge of £30 each night. When I questioned this his response was vague, something like, "the receptionist is allowed to charge what she likes". I was the the impression that a Manager was aware of what happened within his hotel, no? I decided against moving as I'd already wasted 1 hour at this point. Once I returned to my room I called the reception and asked for a heater, again no apology for this etc. The same "Manager" returned and I can only try get across the following scenes but making reference to a carry on film. Not only did the Manager unscrew the bolt from the radiator (he was trying to bleed the radiator) he proceeded to tell me that he knew which rooms had problems with heating in them and apparently this wasn't one of them. I couldn't help be amused by the Manager telling me there are well known issues in the hotel and the fact I am a new customer and this is the impression he is giving me. Following having some heat in the room, the room etc was ok. The breakfast however was terrible. I requested scrambled egg on toast, the egg came out in a perfect compact circle which tasted like it had been microwaved. Really disappointing with lack of variety.

I requested a late check out 1 week before arriving, I then reminded the receptionist the night before to ensure we were not disturbed. Not once, but 4 times within the additional 3 hours we were interrupted. The first two women walked straight into the room, without even knocking and we explained each time that we had a late check out. But no a further 2 women trying to come in. When I checked out and advised the receptionist of this, she didn't care. Didn't even apologise.

Access and location was great with a 5 minute walk to the city center etc. But this is no reflection upon Glen Mhor. I am so disappointed in my stay, I've left feeling angry with the customer service, unimpressed with the breakfast and mainly sad it had to impact a weekend with my partner.

I hope that with addition of The Alexander next door that the owners take note of the terrible service before hiring additional staff.

1  Thank KMunro1308
glenmhormanager, Manager at Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear KMunro1308

Many thanks for your review of the Glen Mhor. We try to get things right for everyone but in this instance we've let you down. Thanks for letting us know and sorry that this has happened.

There are indeed a few things we need to look at here and the heating in your room has since been fixed as promised. It's a pity you didn't bring the other things to our attention during your stay as we would have been able to take more positive action then.

We have a great location and beautiful refurbished rooms. It's a pity you didn't get to see the best we can do. If you'd like to make direct contact with us we'd be only to pleased to put things right and show you what a great time you can have here.

Kind regards,
Glen Mhor Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,445)

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Just returned from 3 nights at the Glen Mhor and have to say we had a fab time! Breakfast was excellent as always and brunch on New Years Day was a nice touch. Our meal in Nico's last night was also fantastic and John the barman was as attentive as ever. Our fourth or fifth stay at the hotel and we shall certainly be returning in 2014. Room 303 was lovely although we were a bit disappointed with the en-suite "wet room". Very small and everything gets wet when having a shower. We'll ask for a bathroom next time. Certainly didn't spoil our stay though. Thanks again guys for a great New Year stay.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JulesJust
glenmhormanager, General Manager at Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Many thanks for your kind review.
We took note of your comments concerning the bathroom.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed here for 1 night in December and I have to say that we were very pleased with our room, it was in the 'cottage' with a fine river view, the bathroom was a good size and the room was clean, the duvet didn't fit the bed but that didn't matter to us. The breakfast was good and all of the staff were very pleasant. The hallways going up to the room are dated and scuffed so could do with being redecorated but that was the only downside. We don't stay far from Inverness but if we were going for a night out and were looking for somewhere to stay over then we'd definitely return.

1  Thank rj&lj

Many thanks for your kind review.
The corridor in the cottage will be re-decorated very soon.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We arrived at the hotel on the 21st dec, and we got a room with a view of the river ness as was stated, the room was lovely a bit cold but turned radiators on an it was lovely and warm, the quilt did not fit the bed properly I phoned reception was told manager would be up in 20mins he was up before that with another quilt n proceeded to change the quilt an was very apologetic, there is nothing we could fault in this hotel, service, breakfast and staff. We will definitely be staying here again.

1  Thank Mistyblu64
glenmhormanager, General Manager at Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Many thanks for your very kind review.
We are all glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

It's 5.30 am I'm in room 122 the room is freezing woke up four or 5 times through the night there are three radiators in the room and if you put your Gand on them there only warm from three inch at the bottom .im six foot send if you stretch in the bed your feet are pushing on the bottom board and your head is touching the head board if you have more than one pillow .i opened a can of diet coke last night and it's nice and chilled this morning .the room is clean but I would not recommend this room in winter unless they sort the heating and I know the internet is free but it's one bar and keeps going off .the hotel does look good but not room 122 .looking forward to breakfast

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

We are sorry to hear of your disappointment on your last stay with us and would like to add that this is not representative of the Glen Mhor hotel.
Should you have made us aware of the problem while you were staying with us we would have made our utmost to accommodate your feeling.
Our boilers are working 24h hours a day, the hotel is warm and we have plenty of extra heaters in case of any problem.
Night porter available at anytime during the night also!

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Stayed in Glen Mhor for x1 night for £60. Location excellent by river. Breakfast very good. We were obviously upgraded to one of the front more expensive rooms. SO for that I will give it 5 stars as the rooms were huge.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
glenmhormanager, General Manager at Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Many thanks for your very kind review.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Booked into the Glen Mhor for one night B&B yesterday. I would give this hotel ten out of ten plus. It is a beautiful hotel overlooking the Ness, the cathedral and Eden Court Theatre. The staff are extremely helpful and attentive. The hotel is spotless and tastefully decorated. My daughter and I were in a twin room which was spacious and very attractive. It was also ensuite. We couldn't eat in the restaurant as it was fully booked but later on in the evening had a drink in the bar, which was very comfortable and warmly lit. Breakfast was served in the dining room and was a buffet and you were also offered a cooked breakfast. I would rate this service as ten out of ten plus, again. I really don't think you would find a better hotel with this service in Inverness. I would recommend this hotel and my daughter and I are going to try and make it a regular visit.

Room Tip: i would discuss this when booking as the staff are extremely helpful and understanding.