Coming from Inverness myself, I thought the Glen Mhor would be a perfect place for my partner and I to spend a weekend as tourists. I left feeling very disappointed and frustrated. What I paid for the room each night has a certain level of expectation, like a bath, suitable heating etc. When I arrived (thankfully before my partner) I was given the usual information of areas of hotel etc and showed where to go to find my room. The room was in the Struan building, the room was really cold when I arrived so I kept my jacket on whilst I had a look around. The room was adequate size but didn't have a bath. I called reception and asked if there was another room with same view that had a bath, I was advised that there was a £10 upgrade, then this changed to £20. I wasn't sure what the charge was for so I asked to see the room, the receptionist advised the Manager would come and collect me to show me the room. 45 minutes later I had to call the receptionist again as the Manager had no appeared. There was no apology or any sort of interest from the receptionist. The Manager then arrived about 10 minutes later to show me an alternative room, he then gave me a charge of £30 each night. When I questioned this his response was vague, something like, "the receptionist is allowed to charge what she likes". I was the the impression that a Manager was aware of what happened within his hotel, no? I decided against moving as I'd already wasted 1 hour at this point. Once I returned to my room I called the reception and asked for a heater, again no apology for this etc. The same "Manager" returned and I can only try get across the following scenes but making reference to a carry on film. Not only did the Manager unscrew the bolt from the radiator (he was trying to bleed the radiator) he proceeded to tell me that he knew which rooms had problems with heating in them and apparently this wasn't one of them. I couldn't help be amused by the Manager telling me there are well known issues in the hotel and the fact I am a new customer and this is the impression he is giving me. Following having some heat in the room, the room etc was ok. The breakfast however was terrible. I requested scrambled egg on toast, the egg came out in a perfect compact circle which tasted like it had been microwaved. Really disappointing with lack of variety.
I requested a late check out 1 week before arriving, I then reminded the receptionist the night before to ensure we were not disturbed. Not once, but 4 times within the additional 3 hours we were interrupted. The first two women walked straight into the room, without even knocking and we explained each time that we had a late check out. But no a further 2 women trying to come in. When I checked out and advised the receptionist of this, she didn't care. Didn't even apologise.
Access and location was great with a 5 minute walk to the city center etc. But this is no reflection upon Glen Mhor. I am so disappointed in my stay, I've left feeling angry with the customer service, unimpressed with the breakfast and mainly sad it had to impact a weekend with my partner.
I hope that with addition of The Alexander next door that the owners take note of the terrible service before hiring additional staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Glen Mhor Hotel offers Victorian townhouses and apartments located on the banks of the River Ness, a 3-minute walk from Inverness city centre and a 15-minute drive from Loch Ness. Accommodation is divided between 8 charming Victorian town houses (please advise reception if you have a building preference). Many rooms have wonderful views across the river to Inverness Cathedral and Eden Court Theatre Our in house bar restaurant - Nicky Tam's - offers a relaxed and casual atmosphere with a menu serving traditional Scottish food with the finest local produce, ales and premium spirits... The Ness Bank area is a charming conservation area in the city, set below the castle and opposite both The Eden Court Theatre and Inverness Cathedral. Glen Mhor is a 5-minute drive from the A9, 8 miles from Inverness Airport and a 10-minute walk from the train station. It is ideal for exploring Inverness and the surrounding Highlands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments Inverness, Scotland
- Hotel Glen Mhor
- Glen Mhor Inverness
- Inverness Hotel Glen Mhor