“Perfect location for a neet oot! ”

Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #23 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Elgin, United Kingdom
“Perfect location for a neet oot! ”
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Quick getaway needed, kids left with dog and gran for night! Hotel served its purpose ideally located for a quick blitz of Inverness! Only drawback really was breakfast, staff very efficient but were swamped by by constant stream of guests turning up at same time! Waited 25 mins for my fry up! No great shakes but if hotel / apartments that busy maybe one more waiter/waitress would have made a difference? However room clean, bed comfy rm214 fine.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
glenmhormanager, General Manager at Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Many thanks for your kind review.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay overall and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights after walking the Great Glen Way and the location right at the end of the journey and overlooking the River Ness could not have been better. The staff were excellent and most welcoming and coped so well with their usual guests and a host of Xmas parties that were in full swing
My room was huge and well appointed and a welcome retreat after 5 days in the Glen
The food is not exceptional but is good value
The bar is a splendid mix of tartan and artefacts and a fitting area in which to relax in Inverness

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We took our daughters to Inverness for their ninth birthday and spent the actual day deep in snow at the top of Cairngorm, Inverness is great as we had not hired a car but the train and bus services served us well and we are already going back again this year. We booked the Glen Mhor apartments which are about five minutes from the city centre.

The apartment block was in a separate building to the main hotel (the only downside was trailing heavy luggage for quite a distance in the rain and the view from our windows was not an attractive one) and we kept our costs down by sorting our own breakfasts and snacks.

The apartment was well furnished with a great kitchen although some parts of the building were a little dated. Still good value for money though and I would recommend for anyone with young children or who likes their independence.

Room Tip: Book an apartment if you have young children but bear in mind it may be over two levels which is a d...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Many thanks for your kind review.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
stonehaven
Reviewed 3 January 2014

just returned from 3 nights over hogmany,found the staff all very pleasant and helpful,the room was great,we stayed in the riverside with a river view,which was excellant for watching the fireworks at midnight, The food was excellent and Nicos had a great choice,breakfast was also good and the gala dinner on hogmany was superb. All over a great stay and would recomend it to friends and family.

Room Tip: ask for a riverview we were in room 110 in the Riverside large bathroom and spacious living area.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights on 29th dec,excellent room with river view,breakfast choice very good,staff friendly and chatty,bar area a bit cold,sofas in bar uncomfortable,this hasnt put us off as we have re booked another 3 nights next weekend and booked for other family members.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Coming from Inverness myself, I thought the Glen Mhor would be a perfect place for my partner and I to spend a weekend as tourists. I left feeling very disappointed and frustrated. What I paid for the room each night has a certain level of expectation, like a bath, suitable heating etc. When I arrived (thankfully before my partner) I was given the usual information of areas of hotel etc and showed where to go to find my room. The room was in the Struan building, the room was really cold when I arrived so I kept my jacket on whilst I had a look around. The room was adequate size but didn't have a bath. I called reception and asked if there was another room with same view that had a bath, I was advised that there was a £10 upgrade, then this changed to £20. I wasn't sure what the charge was for so I asked to see the room, the receptionist advised the Manager would come and collect me to show me the room. 45 minutes later I had to call the receptionist again as the Manager had no appeared. There was no apology or any sort of interest from the receptionist. The Manager then arrived about 10 minutes later to show me an alternative room, he then gave me a charge of £30 each night. When I questioned this his response was vague, something like, "the receptionist is allowed to charge what she likes". I was the the impression that a Manager was aware of what happened within his hotel, no? I decided against moving as I'd already wasted 1 hour at this point. Once I returned to my room I called the reception and asked for a heater, again no apology for this etc. The same "Manager" returned and I can only try get across the following scenes but making reference to a carry on film. Not only did the Manager unscrew the bolt from the radiator (he was trying to bleed the radiator) he proceeded to tell me that he knew which rooms had problems with heating in them and apparently this wasn't one of them. I couldn't help be amused by the Manager telling me there are well known issues in the hotel and the fact I am a new customer and this is the impression he is giving me. Following having some heat in the room, the room etc was ok. The breakfast however was terrible. I requested scrambled egg on toast, the egg came out in a perfect compact circle which tasted like it had been microwaved. Really disappointing with lack of variety.

I requested a late check out 1 week before arriving, I then reminded the receptionist the night before to ensure we were not disturbed. Not once, but 4 times within the additional 3 hours we were interrupted. The first two women walked straight into the room, without even knocking and we explained each time that we had a late check out. But no a further 2 women trying to come in. When I checked out and advised the receptionist of this, she didn't care. Didn't even apologise.

Access and location was great with a 5 minute walk to the city center etc. But this is no reflection upon Glen Mhor. I am so disappointed in my stay, I've left feeling angry with the customer service, unimpressed with the breakfast and mainly sad it had to impact a weekend with my partner.

I hope that with addition of The Alexander next door that the owners take note of the terrible service before hiring additional staff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KMunro1308
glenmhormanager, Manager at Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear KMunro1308

Many thanks for your review of the Glen Mhor. We try to get things right for everyone but in this instance we've let you down. Thanks for letting us know and sorry that this has happened.

There are indeed a few things we need to look at here and the heating in your room has since been fixed as promised. It's a pity you didn't bring the other things to our attention during your stay as we would have been able to take more positive action then.

We have a great location and beautiful refurbished rooms. It's a pity you didn't get to see the best we can do. If you'd like to make direct contact with us we'd be only to pleased to put things right and show you what a great time you can have here.

Kind regards,
Glen Mhor Hotel
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Just returned from 3 nights at the Glen Mhor and have to say we had a fab time! Breakfast was excellent as always and brunch on New Years Day was a nice touch. Our meal in Nico's last night was also fantastic and John the barman was as attentive as ever. Our fourth or fifth stay at the hotel and we shall certainly be returning in 2014. Room 303 was lovely although we were a bit disappointed with the en-suite "wet room". Very small and everything gets wet when having a shower. We'll ask for a bathroom next time. Certainly didn't spoil our stay though. Thanks again guys for a great New Year stay.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JulesJust
Many thanks for your kind review.
We took note of your comments concerning the bathroom.