“Disappointed”

Ranked #23 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Burntisland, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed one night at this hotel. The room was for a single and I found the room to be long and narrow with two very small windows. The bed had a wrought iron frame and because I am tall the frame meant I kept kicking it in the night. The mattress was old and very uncomfortable. The heating was either on or off and there was no heating in the bathroom.
The hotel claims to have wi-fi but none of us in our group could get a signal. The manager very kindly let me use his computer.
The staff were very helpful and pleasant and did their best.
The food in the restaurant was superb, with a great choice.
Maybe the room was bad because it was a single, maybe the double rooms are better. Despite the superb food and very good staff I will not return.

Room Tip: Don't get a single room. Others in my group also hated their single rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Moira G
glenmhormanager, General Manager at Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
We are sorry to hear of your disappointment in regards to your room.
Please bear in mind that you booked a single room at £29 - a bargain.
Small single room indeed... but small price.
We would advise to try our classic and deluxe room.... with all brand new beds!
the Wifi can be quiet slow in Inverness, specially on evenings are everyone is using it.
We will have fiber in March. We can't wait!
We look froward to welcoming you again.
Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
uk
Reviewed 22 January 2014

My brother and I enjoyed a 2 night stay at Glen Mhor. We were very pleasantly surprised by how helpful and attentive the staff were throughout our stay. Being January both evenings were very chilly but it was a pleasure to come back to the nice warm cottage opposite the main hotel in which out room was located. Very reasonably priced for the location as it is only a 5 minute walk along the beautiful riverside to the shops, cafes and bars etc. Breakfast is both a 'cold buffet' style for cereal and toast etc and a choice of cooked breakfasts. Very nice food.
I would reccommend this hotel for a stay in Inverness.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
glenmhormanager, General Manager at Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Many thanks for your very kind review.
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I initially had booked a single room at this hotel at short notice. I needed to amend the booking a bit later on to a twin room. This was not an issue at all, very friendly and polite reception staff dealt with the initial booking and the subsequent amendment. Upon arrival, the room was well appointed and I was pleased to note that the room was located within one of the smaller buildings opposite the main reception.
The reception staff were more than helpful when I asked if I could print out a return flight e-boarding pass (Flybe do not let you access your online boarding pass until 36 hours before your flight).
The Hotel is on the banks of the River and is within a few minutes walk of the town centre and the impressive castle.
Very happy with the stay, thank you to all the staff who assisted during the booking and the stay itself. Will definitely book another stay in this hotel next time I am in the area.
Unfortunately I can't comment on the breakfast as I had to leave too early in the morning, but I am sure the food experience would have been every bit as good as the rest of the weekend.

Room Tip: The cottage was a quieter location away from the main hotel building with only a couple of rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
glenmhormanager, General Manager at Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Many thanks for your very kind review.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay at the Glen Mhor Hotel.
We look froward to welcoming you again soon.
Bridge Of Earn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Stayed here 15th January, was given room 400. Curtain tie back hooks falling off the wall, extractor fan ran for 10 minutes after light put off, radiator made a dreadful noise as needed to be bled, cupboard door can't open properly as hits the main door spring closer, left hand door had a big dent in it, toilet seat broken, cob webs in main lightshade and ceiling, bathroom dated and bath panel peeling, very poor lighting.

When I went to reception there was no apology and no evidence of good customer service at all.

The reception staff never even lifted their heads to greet me either on this occasion nor when I went to book in originally and actually I had to say "hello" to get their attention. I was told that I could have another slightly bigger room but it would cost me £20 extra, I checked on booking.com and as it was early evening their price was only £3.10 more, also I said I wasn't going to pay more as the first room I got was dreadful! I was then given room 213 which was far better.
At this point my trip advisor score was going to be one star!

I then went to their restaurant , Nico's, and it was very good with both food and service, this was mirrored for the breakfast as well.

So the score went to a three!

Bottom line is the hotel has great potential to be superb but does need more staff in the bar and the reception staff need to address issues professionally and with a smile.

I e mailed the hotel last week as they ask for feedback on their business cards, no response back from them yet though!

Room Tip: Don't get room 400, if you do take a torch and duster! River views very nice at night time.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
We were very sorry to hear of your disappointment on your last with us and would like to add that this is not representative of the Glen Mhor Hotel.
We will take the time to review the comments made and we will use your feedback as part of our on-going commitment to improve.
We always answer our comment cards. No doubt that you will receive an answer in due course.
In hope that we may regain your faith in The Glen Mhor Hotel.
Yours sincerely.
Glasgow
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I feel like i've said goodbye to an old friend. Used to love staying here- a quaint home from home- pretty much every 3 months for the last 7 years, if not more. It was bought over by The Glen Mhor hotel end of 2013 and they have obliterated it.

Once you find reception in The Glen Mhor (messy cupboard under the stairs) - be prepared for an unusual subtle, but efficient hostility from the French receptionist. Although i had 2 confirmations of my stay...said she didnt have a room for me and started a 30min inquisition- blaming everyone but the rabbits for an apparent phantom mixup. (i do believe if i hadnt had evidence- i'd have dismissed with a wave of her hand, to sleep in the car perhaps?). No apology, but keycard in hand - off i trudge...back out of the hotel...along the road...5 houses down to what is now the stripped and eerie shell of The Alexander.

Gone is the warm highland welcome i've taken refuge in for so long. So is the little river view lounge in the foyer (being converted into another bedroom) and i suspect the dining room will soon be too. All of the rooms have been renumbered and apparently i'm a lone female with the workies.
Missing from the room list - CD/Radio/Alarm; Hot Chocolate; mini fridge with fresh milk; hot water bottle; toiletries (prev supplied to support a local charity); no house history info; no sewing kits or novels. All a ploy to get you to take the long walk to the main house i suspect.
Now included - mineral water - at £3.95 a bottle!!
The cordless kettle used to sit atop the mini fridge- but now atop a dresser and someone hasnt taken the time to realised that the base cord is too short to be plugged in and has to be placed on the floor to boil! Dangerous!
Scrap of paper with wifi code - doesnt work! Barely a TV signal. Need a chair to reach the DVD player. The only place to watch TV is on the bed - fine you say....NOPE! Cannot see all of the TV unless you are standing!
Glen Mhor have their own hotel info leaflets - useless as there are no phones (although advertised) for wake up calls and room service etc. Its a long walk back to reception if you have a question or problem- like being wakened at 6am by the builders for example. Oh and the blossoming back garden is gone- extending the car park- so good luck with the room views on 1st landing. I packed the car on the way to breakfast - too much hassle otherwise.

Breakfast - £9.95 if room only rate, £14.95 if non resident. No signs to direct you. Burnt coffee out of flasks. A dreaded toast machine! Not a good start. Had the cooked breakfast - small portions, but was lovely and non greasy. Servers were nice - though language was a bit of a problem, so really only spoke to one girl- who was lovely and friendly and at least they made an effort. Disasterous, disinterested, hostile check out. As i approached the same receptionist, she answered the phone - and held her finger in the air for me to wait! At least an acknowledgement or a smile would have softened the blow on her superiority complex. Other staff were available in the broom cupboard- but clearly not allowed to speak! An orderly queue started to form, forcing her to end her phone 'conversation'. Horrendous.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank redapple7
Kelso, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Stayed here on three occasions in December, while visiting elderly relative. Hotel in excellent location, overlooking the river, theatre and cathedral, near city centre and all amenities. Warm welcome and all staff very helpful. I was in the Alexander building, part of the hotel but next door - recently acquired. Although rooms I had were small, they were all very comfortable and very clean, with all essential requirements. Secure parking a bonus. Breakfast basic but adequate. Bistro meals available and lots of other good eating places within easy reach. Very reasonably priced and excellent value for money.
Hopefully, there will soon be telephones in rooms in Alexander building. Only drawback if alone, is having to go out to the main hotel for meals, etc.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking river have lovely outlook
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
glenmhormanager, General Manager at Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Many thanks for your kind review.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Phone will be installed next week in Alexander.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

Over the course of our trip, we've stayed in some fantastic hotels and B&B's in Scotland. Unfortuntely The Alexander wasn't one of them. As we walked up to the reception desk, the Receptionist barely acknowledged us before answering the phone, talking for ages and avoiding eye contact. Over the course of our stay, we were to learn that this is the level of customer service to be expected here.

The night of our stay there were 3 coach loads of older guests. They had entertainment until late and the noise in our rooms was unbearable. I phoned down and my complaint was dealt with in a poor way.

The hotel is actually in quite a nice building, if a little run down. It's such a shame that bad management has created an environment where the guests are treated as a nuisance. I imagine The Alexander was a nice place stay once, but it seems they have long since given up trying.

Stayed January 2014