“Someone playing drums”

Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #23 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

I've just returned from an overnight stay at this hotel
The checkin went very smoothly and the reception staff were pleasant and helpful
The room was very clean with a nice shower although the beds were very small but comfortable
In the bar a jazz band was playing which was nice for holiday visitors
Now the real problem and only one may I add
When I was settling in my room the air and gushing through the radiators was unbelievable , I called reception who came and bled both
Wonderful I thought until around 2.00 am and away it went again
Probably around 3 hrs sleep I gave up put the tv on and made a coffee

Not good really ! Get them fixed properly !
Will be heading back in around a month and may consider a return

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
glenmhormanager, General Manager at Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to put a review.
We are glad that you liked the hotel. Such a shame you have been disturbed by the radiator noise. Very sorry about that.
We had a leak in the system, making radiator empty and full of air. It has all been fixed... yesterday!
In hope you give us an other chance.... Jazz band will be coming every Tuesday.
We look froward to welcoming you again soon.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,419)

Reviewed 4 March 2014

The location is good and the hotel itself appears to be in a generally good condition, however, it could do with some extra tlc. We had a stunning room in the cottage next door to the hotel. This is really just 2 steps away and is easily accessible. The room itself was lovely with a large bath and views over the lake. The toiletries were really good and the room had tea and coffee making facilities which were topped up daily. But the room itself, beautiful as it is, does need some touching up - there were marks on some of the walls, a cracked tile in the bathroom, and some fixtures which needed attending to. Each little thing is not a big deal taken in isolation but when taken together could make the room appear shabby - which is a shame.

The service was also mixed - a person in our party needed the room changed because of a problem with the room and this was done promptly and efficiently. However, some members of staff were less helpful and attentive than others (one particular member of the reception staff appeared to be particularly bored and uninspired).

Breakfast was good and is prepared fresh. The bar at the back has a lovely fireplace and is well worth a visit for a drink on a cold night.

Just as a note - we had 3 rooms booked in for our party and I do get the impression that the experience between one room and another can vary significantly.

The hotel is fine - I would have rated it 3.5 but since TA does not give that option I think it would be unfair to rate it down to 3 so I've rated it at 4. But I think it could do with that little bit extra to ensure a consistently good experience (as it is a bit of a mixed bag at the moment).

Room Tip: Room upstairs in the cottage
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
glenmhormanager, General Manager at Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay overall and take note of your positive comments
We will use your feedback as part of our on-going commitment to improve.

Yours Sincerely.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed only one night to break up a long journey to Lochinver. We got a 2 bed apartment for 3 of us, lovely big zip link beds, very comfy, well equipped wee kitchen, nice lounge. Great bathroom with separate bath and shower. Wifi a bit flaky as mentioned in other reviews, but not really a bother for us. Staff were friendly. We didn't use the restaurant as we were self catering. Only cost £70 for the apartment, great value, would stay again and highly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Many thanks for your kind review.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
We should have fiber in few weeks... problem with internet should be definitely fixed. We can't wait!

We look froward to welcoming you again soon.

Best regards

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed for 4 nights in a double room. The shower was quite blocked and gave us a foot bath on every shower. The room was tiny! Absolutely tiny for a 4 night stay, I would have allocated a better room for that long. We also had our 2 year old with us, thank goodness he still sleeps with us because I don't know where they'd have shoe horned in a cot.. There was nowhere in the bathroom to store...well, anything! No shelves, nothing..it was quite poor for the price, I've stayed in better equipped B&B's. But the service was good, friendly and helpful, wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MummaVincent

Very sorry to hear of your disappointment in regards to the size of the room.
Should you need extra space, we would always advise to go for an upgrade.
Our river view room or deluxe offers extra space and more comfort.
However our classic rooms are market competitive and very often cheaper than our competitor.
Saying so. they have all been refurbished and still offer full comfort.

We hope you will give us an other chance to give you full satisfaction.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Arrived late to Glen Mohr on Saturday, February 22nd - met by friendly and very helpful staff! Restaurant was pretty expensive and not alot to choose from on the menu but was good and welcomed after a long drive from Edinburgh.
Rooms were quaint, clean and very nice although our particular room had no internet and antenna wasn't working properly so no TV. I commented on it the next day and they promptly gave us a better room with a view of Edinburgh castle - helped us move everything and apologized for inconvenience!
If I ever come to Scotland again (and I hope I will) I will definitely stay here!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
glenmhormanager, General Manager at Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor and for sharing your comments with other travelers. I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We will be taking your comments into consideration for any further improvement.

Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed very recently in one of the apartments, it was very clean, cosy and just like a home from home. No set meal times, I could make my food when I wanted.

Only a couple of negatives, one being the wifi, it's not constant, really struggled to get a signal. I was in Inverness for work purposes and needed instant internet access. I ended up using my phone as a wifi hotspot.

The other being a washing machine right through the wall to the apartment I was in, yes bedding etc has to be changed but it was very loud and rattled every glass in the cupboard, being only 5'2" I couldn't reach the glasses to move them.

Even with that I would definitely stay here again and recommend to anyone I knew was visiting the town.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
glenmhormanager, General Manager at Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Many thanks for your kind review.
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We will take your comments into consideration.
Your sincerely,

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We have just spent two nights at this hotel and we will not be back, despite the Manager's assurance that next time he will ensure we are well looked after. Surely it would be better to ensure all guests were always well looked after. The room we were allocated, two floors up in the attic of a building situated alongside the main building, was claustrophobic and cramped. The flight of stairs leading to the room required some maintenance. My husband had to duck just to get in the bedroom door and the coombed ceiling meant we had limited head room. The en suite was very small and ill equipped and the floor would have benefited from a good clean. Breakfast was served in the main building, which meant a trek across the courtyard, not the best on a wet windy morning. We should have saved ourselves a trip as the food served was terrible, I could not eat the food on the first morning as it was cold and overcooked and the pancakes served on the second morning would have made excellent soles for my boots and were returned to the kitchen. In my opinion no hotel kitchen or chef should be serving this quality of food to their guests. According to the Manager we should have complained on arrival if we were not happy with our room and we would have been allocated another. Why not give us a decent room in the first place Glen Mhor Hotel? We had a busy weekend planned with a full schedule and should not have to spend our time complaining about a service we paid good money for.

Room Tip: Book a room elsewhere
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cath013
glenmhormanager, General Manager at Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

We are sorry to hear of your disappointment and would like to add that this is not representative of the Glen Mhor hotel.
Our hotel is a Victorian style hotel divided by five buildings. All our bedrooms have been refurbished and decorated recently.
The strength of the Glen Mhor Hotel is its character, its style and its location.
However we take into consideration your comments. We will use your feedback as part of our on-going commitment to improve.
Yours sincerely.