“Excellent from start to finish”
Review of The Joy of Taste - CLOSED

The Joy of Taste
Cuisines: European
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Volunteer waitresses and Manager were all very welcoming and professional, creating a great atmosphere. Food was superb - taste, presentation and creativity all spot on. Definitely the best meal we had on our Touring holiday

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Took my partner and 6 friends here for a birthday surprise.When we booked we got the last big table available so book ahead. The place was really busy but Stephen( the manager) was excellent and really knows how to give excellent service. The food was fab and one of the best places we have been for a long time. I have read the reviews about poor service but this was not evident when we were there. If this is the case on other nights I would suggest getting rid of the poor staff and get better ones!
All in all 5 out 5!

2  Thank Sally F
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We learned only after our bad experience that the Joy of Taste is a Co-op, where the wait staff are members who must volunteer to get credit toward year end distributions. It's surprising that there are any profits to distribute, given the waitress volunteer who served us, very reluctantly on her part. She apparently was a fill in for someone who didn't show up, and it was clear that she didn't want to be there, sharing her frustration on several occasions. After we waited at our table while she cleaned other tables, she finally waited on us. She wasn't at all familiar with the wines by the glass, and we had to ask 3 times for water, which finally came only when we asked the manager. She inaccurately described the scallop starter as having 6 scallops - it actually was 3 scallops and 3 florets of cauliflower. There are many other details, but the preceding should suffice.

The food was actually pretty good, but the service really soured us on the whole experience.

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I am disappointed. After my main I asked the waitress about the cakes. She said the raspberry cheesecake was "fresh" today so I decided to have one. Little did I know, it's frozen in the middle, so are the raspberries on top. Pasta was really okay, too greasy for my taste.

Staff are friendly, if you are nearby, might be okay for a quick bite, or with a group of friends, but too far from the reputation I read.

Not expensive, but too expensive for what you get.

2  Thank May Q
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stopped by the Joy of Taste on 25 Church Street, Inverness, to have what turned out to be our best meal in the area. Interesting food mixtures that worked--such as green pea mousse on rye toast with shaved bits of asparagus for starter, then fillet of Highland venison on a onion polenta cake (the polenta was delicious!) and sea bass cooked just right. For dessert, we split a fruit and chocolate marquise (we had to ask what a marquise was--totally delicious!). The restaurant had a quote about friendship by Jean Vanier and Aristotle plus a lovely poem by Vanier dedicated to the restaurant in the main part. The restaurant has volunteer servers (not quite worth a 5 star because of the uneven service) who work 4 hours and get a free meal and drink. I'd do that!!!! The chef had quite a flair and the food came out perfect. Seek it out! Do be aware that a reservation is helpful--they turned away a lot of people while we were eating.

1  Thank Walkers5257