“Very comfortable.”

Ranked #24 of 231 Inverness B&B and Inns
Stornoway, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Very comfortable.”
Reviewed 6 January 2013

I only stayed one night, stopping off at Inverness to break up a long journey. I couldn't fault the cleanliness, comfort and quietness of my room. I was pleased to be upgraded to a double room, having booked a single; the room (number two) was very well provisioned. Touches such as a hot water bottle (though the room was nicely heated), mineral water and a proper teapot were appreciated. The bed was excellent: firm, and with a sensible midweight duvet (many hotels nowadays seem to provide supertog quilts which leave one suffering from heat stroke) plus spare blankets.

My hosts were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was great: being a vegetarian I didn't pay attention to fleshy options but enjoyed very generous portions of poached egg, mushrooms and tomatoes, plus good quality toast, freshly-brewed coffee and home-made marmalade.

I am of the opinion that style of decor is of less importance than cleanliness and comfort, but for those who are interested, I would describe the Ballifeary as classic rather than minimalist/boutiquish or quaint.

I'm giving the location a "very good" rather than "excellent" location grading on the basis that there are other properties slightly nearer the centre of Inverness. But this is of course subjective depending on what one wants to be near, so I would not want prospective guests to be put off by this. The location is actually only a ten minute (very pleasant) walk alongside the river from the town centre (a twenty minute walk from the train station), and is very convenient for the Eden Court arts centre, and not too far from the Floral Hall. A definite location plus is the Ballifeary's situation in a residential side street: very peaceful.

My one tiny suggestion for improvement (diva that I am) would be to have herbal teas such as peppermint or camomile available in the bedroom (though I am confident that, given they could be had at breakfast, they would have been supplied had I asked).

All in all, very good value for money and definitely recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank NightsAtTheCircus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Boston
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Morag and Bill were wonderful hosts, so helpful and willing to answer any question. They made a great breakfast too! The rooms were very nice, cozy and comfortable and the bathrooms looked newly updated. Short walk into the city center. No complaints. I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Our friends had booked our accommodation for a 6 night visit and we we arrived after a long trip with some apprehension. This immediately proved to be unfounded when were met by Bill and Morag and shown to our spotless room with a warm welcome and genuine smile. This theme continued throughout our stay with excellent food, flexibility and, above all, attention to detail. Staying at Ballifeary provided the base for a thoroughly enjoyable week in a wonderful part of the country. Thank you

• Stayed August 2012
Albany, New York
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Moraig & Bill were there to meet us with a smile.
The house is a restored house from the 1880"s down to the last detail.
Be aware children are not allowed at this B & B If you have no childern it is a good thing......
There is free on street parking but the house is within easy walking distance to old town Inverness. We used the house as a jumping off point for a drive to Skye. It is a long drive but well woth the trouble. It is easy to tell Bill is a first class chef. Every detail of breakfast was perfect. Large shower....An unsual plus for Scotland.
Perfect in every way......

Liam & Colleen
New York

Room Tip: Walk to town....
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Broadbeach, Australia
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I cannot give this hotel enough compliments, really. Everything was perfect from the spotlessly clean rooms, right through to Bill and Morag's hospitality and the mouth-wateringly perfect breakfasts! It really went above and beyond my expectations and turned out to be one of the major highlights of my travel through Scotland.

Both Bill and Morag were a great source of local information. They were very generous in offering advice on what to do and where to eat. Furthermore, when my partner and I decided to see a doctor about some colds we'd had they were kind, caring, and very quickly helped us find a doctor. We really felt as though they genuinely cared about our well being and comfort.

The beds were incredibly comfortable, the B&B very quiet (despite being fully booked during our second night there), and the atmosphere incredibly cosy, not in the sense of being 'small' but in the sense that it was warm, homely and comfortable.

But I have to say that the biggest highlight of my stay there were the smoked kippers that I chose for breakfast on the second morning. They were delicious! The breakfasts were phenomenal and a great way to start a big day of exploring the amazing area of Inverness and its surrounds.

I definitely recommend this B&B to other couples and small families that want a home away from home in Inverness.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I had such a wonderful stay at the Ballifeary Guest House for 3 nights by myself in May. I had planned on leaving for a day trip out to Isle of Skye before the normal breakfast hour, but Morag left me a nice breakfast with a sweet note.

Everything was clean, lovely and convenient to the city. I was in room 7 and the bathroom was very modern, tastefully decorated and clean. My bed was comfortable and the few was lovely yet private. I would recommend it highly.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in May and thought Ballifeary offered excellent value for money. The place is immaculately clean and everything sparkles. The bathrooms are modern and recently refurbished. The Egyptian cotton sheets felt and smelled fantastic and we slept so well, due to the comfy bed and quiet surroundings. We appreciated the complimentary bottled water, toffees and shortbread biscuits. Breakfast was great too. Although a vegetarian option wasn't listed on the menu, as soon as I mentioned not eating meat, I was immediately offered veggie sausages. Overall, I would say that Morag and Bill offer hotel standards at a fraction of the price. Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2012