“I loved the view”

Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
“I loved the view”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed 5 nights at this wonderful hotel. The staff were so friendly and helpful. It was my husbands big birthday during our stay and they decorated our table and brought the cake out with a candle and everyone sang Happy Birthday. The food was excellent. We upgraded to a Superior room overlooking the River Ness and Inverness Castle. The room was huge and very clean. We even had a table and chairs in the Bay (The room was in one of the turretts of the building). The hotel is centrally positioned - just 2 mins away from the busy city of Inverness but far enough away to be very quiet. The spa and pool area were fantastic. All in all a fabulous place place to stay. Well done to all the great staff they are a credit to the hotel.

Room Tip: The superior rooms are fabulous. A bit pricey but for a special occassion well worth the extra. I hi...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
, Sales Manager at Best Western Inverness Palace Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 July 2012

Thank you for taking time and writing a review on the Palace Hotel

I’m glad to read you enjoyed your stay and that the staff were friendly and helpful through your birthday celebrations.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Sales Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Stayed 3 nights while travelling with a coach tour. The room I got was quite small with a tiny single bed. The redeeming feature was a window which could actually be opened and provided a nice view overlooking the river.

There was a decent bath and shower and a nice set of toileteries.

The tea tray had a passable selection of teas and coffee and a small pack of shortbread buscuite (which was not replenished after the first night).

Breakfast was self-service with plenty of choice, but the tea/coffee and toast were served at the table - this made for a bit of chaos as there didn't seem to be enough staff to cover when it got busy.

Dinner was good with a choice of 3 items (incliding vegetarian) for each
course. Potatoes and veg were served in dishes from which we had to help ourselves (which I don't like) but luckily enough there seemed to be enough to go around.

One thing which annoyed me was the heating arrangements. On our first night the radiators were hot and could be turned up/down/off as required, but on the next 2 nights they did not come on AT ALL. The person in reception said the heating was only put on when the temperature was low enough and there was nothing could be done about this. Ridiculous.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2012 via mobile

This was my second stay here at the Best Western and was a birthday surprise organised by my partner.
The location is perfect and as the weather was beautiful we enjoyed a lovely weekend exploring Inverness and surrounding areas.
However, the customer service is pretty poor for a hotel of this calibre!
Both my partner and I felt like simple requests were a huge deal, for example ordering a drink at the bar after our meal out. I was "huffed" at by the bar man as he had to walk from the bar to the reception desk to pay for my drinks. It then became everytime I waited at the bar a lengthy wait. Not wanting to nitpick but this did ruin the lovely evening out we had shared and put a slight dampener on the celebratory evening we had hoped for.
We were also charged for a bottle of sparkling wine on our bill (to be present in our room on arrival) which we didn't see. As my partner had paid, It was only when we came home that we had realised when filing the receipt.
Our previous stay (at New Years) had put us off breakfast so we chose to eat out for all meals and that proved a good idea.
However whilst preparing for dinner, the hotel carried out repairs which proved to be excessively noisy (hammering, shouting) not quite the relaxing atmosphere we wished for!
It is a shame that service in this hotel lets it down as otherwise it is a beautiful place to stay!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank SMcDonald201
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time and writing a review on the Palace Hotel.

I'm sorry to read that the service on your stay was not up to our usual standard. If I could ask you to contact me on 01463 227780 to discuss your review in more details it would be appreciated.

Aberdeen
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We went to this hotel in May for my daughter Keri's hen as this was a special thing that the hotel offered. On arrival we had lovely champagne cocktails and canapes. Went to rooms, view, a rooftop. Thank goodness we were only there for a base. We had a spa treatment then a swim. Lovely. Then came to the meal. When we arrived, we were shown our table then the menu. There were two other hen parties in the room. Our starters arrived and looked like they had been sitting a while. No one came to speak to us or take a drinks order. No salt and pepper on the table either, so I went to the next table and got some. Then within minutes of our starter being taken away, our mains were in front of us. Someone came and said we were very quiet. So I asked for a drinks order, he asked one of the waiters, who promptly asked another waiter. The girls had rose wine, I asked for Shiraz, then told they didn't sell Shiraz. So I could either have a Merlot or a wine I had never heard of. Next, the sweet. We were literally in and out of that room within half an hour. No one bothered to speak to us, or the hen. We felt very rushed. Then before we left, the tables which were in the middle of the restaurant which all the waiters were putting forks and knives on, never seen anything like it, it should take one person, anyway this tables were filled by a pensioners convention. By jings they certainly got service. Obviously they think more of pensioners than a hen do. If this is the case, then they shouldn't advertise them. The following morning, two of our party went down for breakfast just before us. When we arrived, I asked for coffee and tea. I was told it would be here shortly. Then Gail told me she had ordered when she came in and still didn't have and by this point they were halfway through their breakfast. Ten minutes later, I asked another lady,she told me there were loads of other people waiting too. So I told her we had ordered ages ago and how come that the pensioners who had only just sat down had their tea in front of them. She soon changed her tune. All nicey nicey, too late.
When we left, I put on the comments card that the service had let them down big time and that they shouldn't advertise hen dos if they can't be bothered to make the bride special. I have actually stayed in this hotel before, but will think twice about staying again. The hotel haven't even acknowledged the card I left. I expected maybe an email but no. Again showing the disregard of what should have been a special time for the bride. One good thing, we found an amazing nightclub which plays 80s stuff, old and young alike were in it and we had an amazing night, def a place to go if you in Inverness.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank loobylou299
, Sales Manager at Best Western Inverness Palace Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 July 2012

Thank you for taking time and writing a review on the Palace Hotel

I was disappointed to hear you felt that our level of service was not up to our usual standard. We would never favour one guest from the other and apologise if this is how it looked or felt. We pride ourselves and normally get lots of positive feedback regarding out friendly & helpful staff so this will definitely be looked out further by our food and beverage manager as training is needed.

I apologise if this spoilt your stay and hope we can welcome you back in the near future

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Overpriced for a Best Western hotel. Telephone didn't work, only one television channel when they offered digital, toilet dirty and smelly shower curtain. Strong smell of pool chlorine. Breakfast was good included in room charge. Restaurant food pricey.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ruth D

Thank you for taking time and writing a review on the Palace Hotel

We appreciate all feedback however it is unfortunate you did not bring these issue to our duty managers attention that evening in order for us to resolve them and make your remaining time with us more pleasurable.

I understand you passed your comments onto reception on check out and have since found out the television had been switch from digital to analogue which is why you only received one channel. Also the telephone has been replaced with a new one after being damaged.

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future

Westerville, Ohio
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I stayed there with a tour group, and it was one of the most charming hotels that we stayed in during our tour of Scotland and Ireland. The room was not large, but so what? I'm more concerned with how well it's appointed, how comfortable it is: i.e. "not spartan". The decor in my room was lovely without being fussy - you know, 18 decorative pillows on the bed, and "Gone With The Wind" drapes. As for the staff, they were friendly, professional, and helpful. I didn't have my laptop with me, but I had my choice of using either the computer for guests in the lobby or borrowing the hotel's laptop - free! That scored points with me. There's a nice pool in the hotel, and our group dined in the hotel dining room, and the meal was very good. I liked Inverness, and getting to stay here was icing on the cake.

Room Tip: I stayed in the old section. Friends stayed in the new wing, and their rooms were nice, though I li...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
, Sales Manager at Best Western Inverness Palace Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 June 2012

Thank you for taking time and writing a review on the Palace Hotel Inverness

I’m glad to read you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and the décor throughout the hotel. I delighted the staff look after you and you had a chance to use the facilities while on our tour.

I hope to see you again in the near future.

Scotland
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Stayed here with a group tour of the Great Highland Railways. It was a superb hotel with easy access to the town. The aspect was delightful with the hotel overlooking the River Ness and across the river was the castle. The room was clean and well presented as was everywhere in the hotel. The spa was well worth a visit with well mannered staff who were very kind and helpful. Facilities were good and clean. Pool was safe being not too deep with safe entry and exit. Well organised and easy to get around. Food was good, waiter served with good choice of local foods. haggis, for breakfast along with the usual, was a typical highland dish.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front facing the castle and overlooking the River Ness
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking time and writing a review on the Palace Hotel Inverness

I’m glad to read you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and the view overlooking the river. I delighted to read you found the hotel clean and well presented and you had a chance to the facilities we offer.

I hope to see you again in the near future.