“Buyer beware...”

Ranked #126 of 268 Restaurants in Inverness
Price range: US$1 - US$14
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups
Description: Hilton Chip Shop in Inverness is a traditional chip shop serving traditional chip shop food and pizzas.
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We've all read media reports of Scottish chip shops being dire places; the food which is served basically containing grease and very little else. Up until last weekend I honestly thought that this was a fabrication, that surely no establishment which remained in business could possibly be this bad. Unfortunately, spurred on by the good reviews of this place on here, we discovered that this was in fact untrue. I can honestly say I've never had fish and chips this bad before.

I had a fish, while my partner had fishcakes and chips. The fishcakes, though freshly cooked, were saturated in grease to the point of when he picked one up, the fat dripped from it. the chips were no better; in fact they were worse as they were also lukewarm. The fish was possibly the smallest I've ever seen, especially as it was £4.40. It was thickly battered to the point of looking like it was a normal size. The batter was soggy and uncooked in places, meaning that the fish inside was barely cooked. It was also full of bones. The service wasn't brilliant either.

All in all, I'm sure that whilst some people have had a good experience here, we certainly won't be giving repeat custom.

2  Thank Victoria G
Christopher G, Owner at Hilton Chip Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Hi Victoria,
I'm very sorry you had such a bad experience with us.
I appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback about your meal and i will take it on board going forward within the shop.
If anyone is unsatisfied I would offer a refund and replacement which i would certainly offer to you as well if you were ever to return.
Please accept my sincere apology. What you have described is not the standard we normally achieve and I will be reviewing our processes regarding all of the points you have raised.
Again thank you for feeding this back to us and giving us the opportunity to improve our business.
sincerely
Christopher Giubarelli

Reviewed 15 February 2014

very good quality .well priced ,also do home made pizzas which are lovely .no complaints and would reccomend to friends

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Maybe its just that I come from an area spoilt for choice for chippys but this is decent but fairly average. Decent sized portions, fresh and hot but some of the chips were undercooked and way too greasy. No-one gets fish and chips expecting it to be good for you but this was excessive. Service was good and efficient.

1  Thank Stephen M
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Have been a happy customer of the shop for so many years. Great tasting fresh traditional fish and chips always with very efficient service. Lovely home made pizzas to choose from. No complaints I can think of at all well recommended!

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Guaranteed good quality, fast, cheerful and well priced. I have been a customer for 30 years or so : when my boys were little it was a major treat to let them go in and ask Jo Jo (rip Mike) for their food. Highly recommended

1  Thank katethepict