“Its cheaper than most, the clues are all there”
Review of Smithton Hotel

and 1 more site!
Smithton Hotel
Ranked #31 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Highlands
“Its cheaper than most, the clues are all there”
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Stayed for one night with a couple of colleagues. We have a business account for the purple place and usually stay there. Inverness was busy so the office booked us in here. After reading the reviews I was somewhat surprised to find myself in a relatively decent room with a large clean bathroom.
Okay its on an estate but its not exactly the set of shameless. It has a traditional bar which I guess could get a bit noisy towards the weekend. We didn't eat there so I cant vouch for the food.
We did have breakfast and that was fine, no dramas.
For the money it was fine.
So if you want a budget room in the Inverness area on a weekday then this might fit the bill.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank lewisgHighlands

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
aberdeen
Reviewed 21 September 2010

Not a hotel- shabby rooms, non existant insulation between rooms.

Same complaints on the internet for several years - don't they read them??

We'll do more research before booking another time!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AberdeenSheila

Travellers are raving about these Inverness hotels

Newport Gwent UK
Reviewed 25 August 2010

we stayed midweek, could'nt fault the Smithton Hotel, for, its Friendly Staff, Clean Comfortable bedrooms, and a good hearty Breakfast.
(cannot comment on evening meals, we never got back early enough)

H.JOHN
S. Wales

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank lofty78
England
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Again stopping away from home working in Inverness for a two week period. I searched the net & local papers etc for accomodation in Inverness only to find extremely unrealistic prices for what can only be called basic accomodation. I kept being told that 'it was the height of the holiday season' & there was no way would they drop their prices. £60.00 per night for basic b&b in someones house isnt my idea of a holiday! I found the Smithton on here & after talking to them i decided to stay for the two weeks. The hotel is situated above a pub, a pub that kicks out the locals around 11.40pm, the locals then assemble outside the pub & chat/smoke & as they have had drink, they talk very loud & laugh as if they have to laugh as loud as possible to anything remotetly funny, the jokes being told were not funny, i should know, they stood under my window & i could here everything! Working a 12hr day & having to be at work for 07.30 it is not good to be kept awake constantly until after midnight with a combination of drunk local & the staff SLAMMING doors. I asked the owner to try & keep the noise down due to it keeping me awake or worse still, waking me up. I was told that they had no control over people leaving the pub & they were right, it doesnt help me but i couldnt argue about that.The food served was acceptable but they had a cooker replaced on the tuesday & didnt have evening meals available. Finally, Pro's; Affordable (£45pn), Friendly staff generally. Cons; NOISE! Dated rooms oh & NOISE!
A foreign tourist asked for a traditional Scottish drink with her meal, she was told the choices were irn bru, beer or Tennants super by the waiter, no mention of whiskey at all? Surely other than kilts etc Scotland is famous for its whiskey trade? In general i found Inverness a very expensive place to stay (accomodation) Yes it is by Loch Ness but even b&b outside of the area at this time of year are very expensive. Good luck :0)

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank discoveryv8
inverness
Reviewed 17 January 2010

this has to be the worst hotel i have ever stayed in!! the service was very very poor, the room was the size of a cardboard box and the decor hasnt been redone in i would think 30 years!! awful experience!! not recommened!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
exeter
Reviewed 16 December 2009

We travel to inverness every year for the portland darts competition, we have been staying at this hotel for the last 6-7 years and quite frankly its not the best hotel in the world but it is cheap and the staff and locals are very friendly, the breakfast is very good, i would recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank champion29
Saskatchewan
Reviewed 11 August 2009

I stayed here in Mid- June with my parents, and brother on a grown-up family trip. This hotel was nice in a good location, the girl at the front desk was very helpful and our rooms were clean. We had no complaints of this hotel and had one of the most spacious and nicest bathrooms I saw in our whole 16 day trip thru Ireland and the U.K.
I never ate the breakfast here and I slept in that morning but my Dad said that it was really good and the guy in the breakfast room was funny.
My mom like this hotel room the most!

• Stayed June 2009