“would have no problem to return visit to this hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Smithton Hotel

and 1 more site!
Smithton Hotel
Ranked #31 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Newport Gwent UK
“would have no problem to return visit to this hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2010

we stayed midweek, could'nt fault the Smithton Hotel, for, its Friendly Staff, Clean Comfortable bedrooms, and a good hearty Breakfast.
(cannot comment on evening meals, we never got back early enough)

H.JOHN
S. Wales

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank lofty78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

Again stopping away from home working in Inverness for a two week period. I searched the net & local papers etc for accomodation in Inverness only to find extremely unrealistic prices for what can only be called basic accomodation. I kept being told that 'it was the height of the holiday season' & there was no way would they drop their prices. £60.00 per night for basic b&b in someones house isnt my idea of a holiday! I found the Smithton on here & after talking to them i decided to stay for the two weeks. The hotel is situated above a pub, a pub that kicks out the locals around 11.40pm, the locals then assemble outside the pub & chat/smoke & as they have had drink, they talk very loud & laugh as if they have to laugh as loud as possible to anything remotetly funny, the jokes being told were not funny, i should know, they stood under my window & i could here everything! Working a 12hr day & having to be at work for 07.30 it is not good to be kept awake constantly until after midnight with a combination of drunk local & the staff SLAMMING doors. I asked the owner to try & keep the noise down due to it keeping me awake or worse still, waking me up. I was told that they had no control over people leaving the pub & they were right, it doesnt help me but i couldnt argue about that.The food served was acceptable but they had a cooker replaced on the tuesday & didnt have evening meals available. Finally, Pro's; Affordable (£45pn), Friendly staff generally. Cons; NOISE! Dated rooms oh & NOISE!
A foreign tourist asked for a traditional Scottish drink with her meal, she was told the choices were irn bru, beer or Tennants super by the waiter, no mention of whiskey at all? Surely other than kilts etc Scotland is famous for its whiskey trade? In general i found Inverness a very expensive place to stay (accomodation) Yes it is by Loch Ness but even b&b outside of the area at this time of year are very expensive. Good luck :0)

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank discoveryv8
inverness
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2010

this has to be the worst hotel i have ever stayed in!! the service was very very poor, the room was the size of a cardboard box and the decor hasnt been redone in i would think 30 years!! awful experience!! not recommened!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
exeter
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2009

We travel to inverness every year for the portland darts competition, we have been staying at this hotel for the last 6-7 years and quite frankly its not the best hotel in the world but it is cheap and the staff and locals are very friendly, the breakfast is very good, i would recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank champion29
Saskatchewan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

I stayed here in Mid- June with my parents, and brother on a grown-up family trip. This hotel was nice in a good location, the girl at the front desk was very helpful and our rooms were clean. We had no complaints of this hotel and had one of the most spacious and nicest bathrooms I saw in our whole 16 day trip thru Ireland and the U.K.
I never ate the breakfast here and I slept in that morning but my Dad said that it was really good and the guy in the breakfast room was funny.
My mom like this hotel room the most!

• Stayed June 2009
2 Thank grainmakers
Preston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2007

Arrived at the Smithton Hotel and my heart fell through the floor as I took in the sight of the very dowdy, ugly and generally disgusting hotel in front of me. Our reservation had been double-booked and we were told they would honour ou r booking. I was told to leave and come back at three o'clock (it was 2.30pm). There was no offer of a drink, however I didn't really want a drink there. I used my time wisely and booked another hotel. I don't feel the images on the interenet fully represent what is actually on offer. I would urge caution to anybody considering booking this hotel (if you can call it a hotel).

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank Travellerkg
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2007

One of the worst hotels I have stayed in for a long time.
The image on the website is very flattering - do not be fooled. This is like a flash back to the 1970's and I do not think the rooms have been decorated since. Small dark and pokey rooms - looked awful.

The restauarant is part of the public bar. One look at it and we booked a taxi into town. For all I know the food may have been good, but having to eat it in the company of all the locals from the locality does not suit everyone.

Breakfast a plate full of greasy objects pretending to be a full cooked breakfast. Really quite inedible.

Give it a miss.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Depressing place
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank peterstoneboy