“Happy short break taker”

Iona Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #150 of 232 Inverness B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 May 2013

This is my second stay with Wendy at the Iona and I will go back and stay again. Location is just a short walk from the River Ness and town centre. Accommodation is fresh, clean and comfortable, food is very good, just enough to set you up for the day and more if you want it. Wendy is friendly and helpful and now runs excursions to places of interest which I will definately use on my next visit. A pleasure to stay Wendy, keep up the good work.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Susiebluescot

Reviewed 12 May 2013

Stayed here for one night. Off road parking for my motorbike. I have noted that Wendy the land lady has been criticized for being over attentive and asking for money upfront etc. You know what, you cant please all the people all the time. My room was clean and there were some very handy tips she dispensed re where to go for food etc. This is a very reasonably priced B and B with a land lady who does her best to make people feel welcome. If you dont like that go somewhere else. Wendy thank you for your help on our short stay.

Room Tip: Our room was at rear and very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DAVIES999
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I agree with the previous reviews. The place is very clean and in a good position, Wendy, the owenr, is a little bit too attentive though. The breakfast can be improved but we can't complain for that price.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sdonk
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed for a long weekend in February. Wendy, the owner was very attentive, too attentive in fact. On arrival we had to pay immediately and then had a tour of our room which was totally unnecessary considering how tiny it was. We also had to make our breakfast choices immediately, and when I asked for vegetarian cooked breakfast Wendy seemed very put out.

I wasn't impressed with the cooked breakfast. Not much of it, and not very well prepared. We couldn't eat more than a few mouthfuls at a time between her constant in and out asking if everything was alright. At one point Wendy wandered in whilst on the phone to someone else while we were trying to eat breakfast. How rude! She seemed quite anxious and needs to learn to chill out.

The continental breakfast was very good though - fresh bread rolls, pastries, toast, fruit, yoghurts etc. Everything was on the table to help yourself apart from the coffee so we had to keep asking when we wanted a refill of coffee, which was odd. And then Wendy commented that other guests had been known to 'steal' food from breakfast to take away with them. How rude! Just let us finish our breakfast in peace thank you. I was sitting by the wall with a huge TV mounted over my head - quite un-nerving.

As I said, our room was tiny. The double bed was squeezed in between the bedside cabinets, the curtain was squeezed behind the headboard, there was a walk in cupboard/closet with barely enough room to open the door to. There was a mirror on the wall by the door where you couldn't actually stand near to dry your hair etc because of the big dressing table. Too much stuff in too small a room basically. The roller blind came off the wall the first time I touched it but I eventually fixed it back up. The next day it was gone, and Wendy informed us it was broken. No, really? The sun woke us the next morning.

The bathroom was also tiny. It had obviously been added to the room later. Nice big bath. Perfect for a soak, but the lightsd cut out after 45 minutes so you might be soaking in the dark. No room to get out of the bath to dry yourself without burning your bum on the heated towel rail. All the taps were hard to turn on, then hard to turn off again. The fan wasn't enough to clear the air so we had to keep opening the window. Complimentary bottles of shower gel etc were provided, but no extras like bath foam so take your own.

I left a very short entry in the guestbook - the bed was comfy. It was.

The best thing was the location. Easy walking distance to the city for eating out in the evenings.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
17  Thank Emily A
Reviewed 25 January 2013

First of all I would like to mention the brilliant service. The landlady was very nice and helpful. The room space was not so big like in huge hotels, but really enough for staying for several days in comfort and relaxation. We had an en-suite bathroom as well. Excellent place in all meanings.

Room Tip: en-suite bathroom (1st floor room)
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mykhailo S
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We arrived just before Xmas and we were looked after from the moment we reached the front door by Wendy and made to feel at home she had only just started with the B and B so there were one or two problems which can happen but Wendy did her utmost to sort them for us.
Very informative and couldn't do enough for us breakfast was excellent and rooms clean and tidy

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I stayed here unfortunately one night only. It was quite enough to see how much Mrs Wendy cares about her guests and how she very much enjoys what she does. Location is great, no matter if you're using trains or buses - you can not possibly miss it. Simply go over the bridge(there are few yet over the same river anyway) and it's 2nd street parallel with the river. You are there in 10 mins, one disorientation included!:)
Upon arrival you bet you'll receive a warm welcome. For instance I personally got there few hours earlier than the check in and they gave me keys immediately and were all so helpful and informative, during my entire stay. In rooms you find everything you could need during your stay, it's nice and warm,and clean, and you can make coffee/tea/hot chocolate. Beautiful purple bedding (it's my favorite color btw.) Breakfast is fantastic, Mrs. Wendy will prepare one for you, you simply tell her what you'd like to have. She is such a dear! I felt like at home in the moment I walked in. Thank you ever so much and I wish you well. I ensure you if ever I make it to Inverness again Iona B&B will definitely know for it.
t.