“Old and worn, needs some good cleaning & better wifi”

Inverness Student Hotel
Hobart, Australia
“Old and worn, needs some good cleaning & better wifi”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My partner and I stayed here for two nights. This "hotel" (i'm not too sure why it is called a hotel) isn't as great as I would have expected based on the reviews.
We stayed in room 2 which was one level above reception. The room was pretty basic, but that's ok. The downside was the mould growing across the ceiling and on the lower parts of some walls.
The bathrooms only had two toilets that were working when we were there and one shower. The shower was a little dirty. The other shower was tiny, and was in what looked to be an old hallway cupboard!
The walls in general in the hostel could do with a lick of paint, and the carpet needs replacing.
The breakfast area didn't seem to have been wiped down once while we were there. The two small fridges were full, and the milk fridge didn't seem to be cold enough to keep food or the milk cold. The kitchen was a good size and did the job.
The wifi connection unfortunately we found only worked during the day, when no-one was using it. From 5pm onwards it was constantly dropping out, or wouldn't connect at all. The staff were helpful though, resetting it for us, but to not much success. Management really needs to get a better wifi connection in place.
On the plus side, the staff were relatively helpful, and the wash, dry and fold laundry service was a good price, and quick!
Overall the hostel wasn't very clean or comfortable. We've definitely stayed in much better for the same price. I wouldn't stay here again.
Some small changes like a lick of paint, new flooring and a good clean would do the place wonders I'm sure!
Note: I have rated the sleep quality during our stay low mostly due to someone drying their hair with a hair dryer at 11.30pm at night in the hallways, and we ended up with a really bad snorer in our room. It was so bad we had to drag our belongings outside and sleep in the car on the second night. We did approach the staff about the snorer and asked if there was another room we could change to, but were told that all rooms were full. Which is of not fault of the lovely staff member who I spoke to.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
manager088, Owner at Inverness Student Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. Thanks also for your lovely comments about my staff who always go the extra mile for our customers. I would like to try and address some of the issues you have raised in your review. Firstly apologies if our name confused you. We are showing our age a bit (one of the first ever hostels in Inverness) as when we opened we were not allowed to call ourselves a hostel so opted for an alternative which has stuck with us over the years. We hope that our prices reflect that we are not a 'hotel' as such but again apologise for any confusion. I would also like to apologise for the traces of mould in your bedroom. You may have noticed that your room has brand new double glazed windows which have just been installed. This was because our last windows leaked and unfortunately caused moisture to get into the room. The windows were the first step in our refurbishment plan which is being carried out over the next couple of months. All of the bedrooms on the top floor have new linen and are scheduled to be redecorated in the coming few weeks. We didn't feel that it was practical to repaint until the new windows were fitted as I am sure you can understand.
I can also see from your review that you were unaware that there are 3 more showers and 2 more toilets on the floor below reception which were fully functional during your stay.
I can assure you that the breakfast area is cleaned several times a day by my cleaners and my reception staff. This area is in almost constant use as a result of us offering free tea, coffee & hot chocolate all day long and not everybody cleans up after themselves unfortunately :(
This also goes some way to explaining why it is difficult to keep the milk fridge icy cold as it is constantly being opened and closed by our guests.
I would like to apologise for the difficulties you experienced using our free WiFi. This was due to a problem with our router which has now been resolved by our service provider. I know how frustrating it can be when a connection is temporarily interrupted and hope that this didn't cause you too much inconvenience.
It is unfortunate to hear that you were disturbed by someone drying their hair and a snorer in your room. We do have clear signs throughout the hostel asking our guests to be quiet after 10.30pm and I can only assume that the hair drying culprit thought they were being considerate by drying their hair in the corridor rather than in their room. The snorer, however, is a typical hazard of dormitory accommodation and although it is very frustrating there is little my staff can do to avoid these scenarios. Had they had another bed for you they would have moved you but as they explained at the time, our hostel was completely full so their hands were tied.
I am glad that you took advantage of our laundry service and that you found my staff to be helpful and hope that you will consider coming back to experience our refurbished rooms later on this summer. We hope that you enjoy the rest of your time in Scotland :)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

I loved every minute of my stay at the Inverness student hostel. The staff made me feel at home and they also made me laugh, a lot! I originally planned to stay for 2 nights but extended it to 7 because I loved it so much. The building has a lot of character and is cosy and warm inside so it's hard to leave.
The dorms are very clean and you get 2 pillows! 2! Amazing! My neck says thank you!
I will certainly be back.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a lovely review. We are glad you enjoyed your time in our hostel and hope to welcome you back again in the future :)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My stay at Inverness Student Hotel was fabulous! I absolutely adored your delightful and very welcoming staff members and if I were to return to Inverness, I would be very happy to stay there again. They provided me with so much information to help me get around the town during my stay.

I was pleasantly surprised with how well stocked the kitchen was and even further impressed with the variety of food items on offer to use in the kitchen and the added benefit of toiletry items in the bathrooms just in case you might have forgotten your own. The breakfast was a great variety of items and all for only £2! I think my favourite thing was the ever-changing shape, colour and size of the scones baked by different night porters for breakfast the next morning ;) The lounge setting was comforting and allowed residents to mix and mingle.

Keep up the great work!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
manager088, Manager at Inverness Student Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you for such a lovely review.

All of the Night Porters chuckled at your comment about the ever changing scones.... it is so true too - you can tell who has been on the night before!!

We'll very much look forward to welcoming you back when you next get the chance to pop up for a visit - it is always lovely having such a friendly, happy soul around the place to blether with.

Continue enjoying your job in London and you'll always be welcome back up in the Highlands.
Many thanks again - your review put a smile on all of our faces.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed here for three nights and overall loved it. The free hot chocolate, tea and coffee is great. Breakfast was one of the best on offer I had in two months of travelling around Europe (have their toasted muesli - SO delicious!!) The evening fire is wonderful; I'd give them an extra point just for this. The staff and long-term stayers are friendly. Managers were helpful when asked questions about how to get to different places.

The atmosphere is what makes this place. I loved coming in after a day out, having my hot chocolate and just sitting in front of the fire watching the sun set behind the mountains which you can see out the living room windows. I felt like I was hanging out in a friend's living room.

The negatives would be the small showers, and the mattress was a bit thin but not so much that you couldn't get a decent sleep. I've certainly paid more for worse places. The kitchen is a little small, but it just means if you want to cook a meal, you are flexible and eat earlier or later than "rush hour". No biggie.

This place is not for you if you like to party all night (actually, Inverness itself is probably not for you).
This place is not for you if you like an impersonal "hotel" feel or think holidays are for watching tv in your room.
This place IS for you if you are easy-going, enjoy talking to and chilling out with strangers, and relaxing (doing nothing, maybe playing darts or a board game with another guest).

NOTE: It was relatively quiet when I was there. It might get crowded when they are at capacity, especially the bathrooms and small kitchen/dining area.

Room Tip: I chose a "mixed dorm" and was a little worried about winding up alone in a room with a we...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review - it has to be said you were a joy to have around and will always be welcome back any time you choose to return to Inverness.

The beautiful bay window in the lounge room is certainly a favourite for most of us - you can wile away hours gazing out at the view with a hot drink or a cheeky glass of something stronger and it is a lovely space to relax and blether with other guests.

It also true that we call the kitchen "intimate & friendly" - however as you say it does work if you avoid the normal rush hours and with space limitations available - the shower cubicles aren't the largest but are clean and do the job.

Hopefully by the time you return, we'll hopefully surprise you with some new mattresses - we are due to get new one's very soon.

Once again - thank you for reviewing us - it is much appreciated and we'll hopefully see you again soon.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The owner has an incredible friendliness and desire to help the guests which is transferred to everybody who enters the place hence the entire atmosphere within the Hostel is very warm and friendly.

As a matter of course you cannot expect much when paying 15 pounds per night. Nevertheless this hostel has everything you need: it's clean, the beds are reasonable comfy and there's plenty of parking space right next to the hostel.

As I said before like in many other places it's the staff which makes a stay memorable. And this woman is really remarkable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for writing such a positive review.
Needless to say it has cheered all of the staff up no end - so we really do appreciate it!

Everyone works hard to try and ensure a warm and welcoming environment and it's great to hear that you felt that.

We'll look forward to welcoming you back whenever you make it back to Scotland.
I hope the rest of your travels are going great and many thanks once again.
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 18 March 2014

"Shower Room" consists of three toilets, three sinks and a shower stall. Shower doors are homade- two pieces of Formica board and a hook. For privacy, you need to step into a shower stall or a toilet stall to change. Did I mention it is unisex? See pictures. I should also mentioned there is a shower in the hall. A converted closet, but at least it has a real door.
There are no laundry facilities. If you want clean clothes, you must pay staff £3.50 to do it for you.
For these 2 reasons I would never stay there again and would not recommend.
Other than that, it's clean, staff is friendly and helpful ( especially Maddie ). I lie that reception is centrally located between kitchen, dining and lounges. Staff is always present and interacting with guests

Room Tip: Choose one downturn street.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
manager088, Manager at Inverness Student Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am sorry that your stay was not entirely satisfactory.

The shower upstairs does have saloon style doors - due to space constrictions I'm afraid - however there is a lock on it & a shower curtain to try and ensure a wee bit more privacy.
I am also sorry if you were not made aware of our further 3 showers and 2 bathrooms which were located downstairs. The showers downstairs do have proper doors on them as well.

Our laundry service for £3.50 (clothes washed, dried and folded) is kept as staff only to use - to ensure that our machines do not get damaged and also to ensure that we manage to get all of the hostel laundry completed on a daily basis to get guests checked in on time.
We could have given you directions to the laundrette in the city centre if you preferred washing your own clothes - so I do apologise.

Also thank you for your kind comments about the staff, cleanliness and liking our reception area, it is a sociable and open plan area.

I hope that the rest of your travels went well.
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed here in early December, 2013.

The rooms, in my opinion, the most importaint part of staying in a hostel or hotel ect, sucked - a lot!
The beds were very unstable, the sheets were dirty and on one of the bunks in our room there was no ladder. The people who we happened to be sharing with, my friend and i are pretty sure were living there, and had no consideration at all about how their clothes and belongings were scattered all over the floor. I would also like to add that on one occasion a staff member walked into out room, observed the HUGE mess, and nothing was done over the four nights we stayed there, even though we made clear we were uncomfortable having someones dirty undies right next to our bunk.

The staff were not the best, a bit rude at times and in my opinion very unprofessional. The manager however was pretty nice and always welcomed us back after we were out all day.

The bathrooms are disgusting and were not cleaned regularly, but thats to be expected i suppose.

The breakfast was good, and the free tea and coffee is a nice touch. The kitchen is in poor condition and gets very busy around dinnertime.

Due to my experience here, i would not recommend, especialy since we could have gotten a cheap hotel in the area for the same price we payed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review & post some photos.

I am sorry that you weren't happy with your stay & I do appreciate that the mess in our long term girls dorm is a little poor to say the least. It does not look like that now I can assure you.

Long termer guests are accepted in our hostels - especially during the quieter Winter months and it can sometimes be a constant battle to contain their belongings neatly. I assure you that we do ask them regularly to keep things tidy - but when they are busy working the room can get out of hand at times.

I can imagine that the staff member in question would probably have expressed exasperation at the mess - as we had asked the guests in question regularly to clear up their belongings... they were trying to contain it as best possible under the bunks believe it or not!

I can also assure you that our bathrooms are cleaned daily and checked regularly - our cleaners work incredibly hard to ensure a high standard of cleanliness.

We are an old building and tired often gets mistaken for unclean.
The kitchen is small - however we believe well stocked - to try and compensate for it's size and again we clean it several times throughout the day.

I do appreciate your comments and with regards to the manager being quite welcoming - perhaps a quiet word with her may have resolved these issues immediately? We could have moved you to another dorm room to try and ensure a happier stay for you both.

I do hope the rest of your travels went well and I am glad that we managed to get your bank card to you before the last Christmas post.