“Pleasant Stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Portree, United Kingdom
“Pleasant Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

Nice comfortable hotel in a good location for the city centre, very helpful and pleasant staff. We didn't have a particularly nice view from our room which was at the rear of the hotel - but then we did book late. Only real complaint was that it was very warm in Inverness and because the windows only opened a fraction the rooms were very hot all night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Columba Hotel because it was part of our escorted tour package. If given a choice to stay there again, it would be a definite No. We stayed for 2 nights and it was horrible. The room had no cooling system in or near the room. Even with the window cracked open, it was extremely uncomfortable. The Australian woman at the Front Desk was rude and not very friendly. The service in the restaurant was just okay. I would love to visit Inverness again soon, but I will not be staying at this property.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
OHIML, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 19 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I certainly do not tolerate any shortfall in hospitality given by our team and I shall be taking very direct action from your comments with regards to our service from our front office. It is always disappointing to read a review from a guest that did not enjoy their stay, as we do get a great many happy guests and on this occasion, I can only offer my apologies that your stay was blemished. If you are returning to the inverness area, I would hope you could reconsider and return to us, show we can demonstrate to you that we can be remember for the right reasons.

Travellers are raving about these Inverness hotels

Nottingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

Made a booking via the internet. The price quoted was £93.00 each for two single rooms, breakfast was charged extra. Was told this was guarnteed the best price and was told there was free carparking. When I arrived there was a large "A" board outside the main entrance stating "Rooms Available £80". When I asked the receptionist why I was being charged more she replied "the board is out there by mistake". I had to park in a Pay and Display car park and pay, I was told they only had a certain number of free places reserved for them and they had all been taken. The lift was not working. I had to carry my luggage to the second floor. The room was so small I could actualy touch opposite walls with my arms outstreached. Complaints to the manager went straight over his head, he was not remotely interested.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. I would like to offer my genuine apologies for any mistake made with regards to a different rate being advertised on our board. Clearly we did not offer you a highland welcome and for this I am sorry. I shall be addressing your comments with my front of house team to ensure we do not let ourselves down in this manner again. Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback, as it enables us to monitor our performance and make direct changes where necessary.
Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

We booked 3 twin rooms, for a family of 6: myself and my wife, our two teenage sons, and my mother and father. We requested that the rooms be close together, and received exactly that: 3 consecutive rooms.

I believe there are parking spaces next to the hotel, but these are limited, and were all taken when we checked in. The hotel staff directed us to a car park just down the road at the cathedral, and even advised us as to when the traffic wardens would be checking for tickets! It was cheap enough just to pay the 24 hour rate, and then not have to worry about moving the car in the morning.

The rooms were adequately sized, not small, but just large enough. Comfortable and quiet, despite being close to corridor fire doors. Also, we could not hear our sons in the next room, who like to have the TV turned up loud, so the walls are obviously thick enough to keep the sound in. Only complaint about the rooms was the beds. They creaked even when you turned over in bed, plus the mattresses seemed hard and somewhat uncomfortable.

The hotel is located right on the banks of the river Ness, directly opposite the castle, and with Inverness town centre a short walk away. We ate in the adjoining bar/restaurant, and then enjoyed a nice walk along the river.

The meal was very good, excellent menu selection, and healthy sized portions, so no-one left feeling hungry. The staff were very pleasant and friendly.

We paid the extra charge to have the breakfast included in the room price. The breakfast selection was also very good, laid out as a buffet, from which you could help yourself. The hot options were kept well stocked. Plenty of options, and everything you needed to make the 'full Scottish breakfast'. Or you could simply have cereal and toast.

Overall, a thoroughly pleasant experience, and an ideal location from which to enjoy the beautiful town of Inverness and the surrounding area.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Darien, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

Stayed here for two nights on a CIE tour of Scotland. The location of Columba is excellent, a short walk over the bridge to the lovely city center! The view is amazing, walking right outside to see the Castle, the lovely River Ness, and the charming city itself.

The dining was nice and hearty for breakfast, our dinners were good as well. I would recommend is that you close your windows at night if possible, terrible sounds of the gulls screeching all the time (but the Hotel hardly is at fault for that!). the bathrooms could also use some upgrades, but I didn't go to Scotland for the facilities and this did not detract from my overall experience at Columba.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

The staff was nice and we felt fortunate to score a parking space even though it was a few blocks away. The pub downstairs was nice enough with good service and decent food. The bed was one of the most uncomfortable we slept on during our 3 week trip. And once we showered in the morning, the whole room was a hot sauna until we checked out. Nice enough breakfast. Beautiful view of the castle. If not for the bed, this would have been a four star.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
ABERDEEN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

The hotel room tired, ,windows hard to open, musky smell in room, remote control for television not fully operable, noise from external surrounding buildings loud, dining room ground floor for breakfast too hot, staff friendly and helpfull, bathroom shower poor taps very stiff to operate.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank HAVINGFUNAberdeen
Thank you for taking the time to complete your review. I am sorry to hear that you were not entirely satisfied with your room. I have instructed my maintenance team to inspect all rooms to ensure all services are fully functional. I was pleased to hear that you found the team friendly and helpful and will certainly share your kind words with them. Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and I certainly hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.