“McNabs Bistro on hotel site”

Columba Hotel, Inverness
Ranked #29 of 35 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 17 September 2012

This place was recommended by a friend and we were glad we tried the Steak and Ale Pie! The atmosphere was modern and upbeat, with a great view of the castle and river. The staff was attentive and friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank iluvyak
OHIML, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed our MacNabs Bar/Bistro and that you found our team to be attentive and friendly. The view of the Castle and River Ness is one of the most spectacular settings in Inverness which our guests can enjoy from either inside our Bistro or on our Terrace.

I will most definitely pass on your comments regarding the steak pie as Chef will be pleased to hear your feedback.

We hope you will come and visit us in the future.

There are newer reviews for Columba Hotel, Inverness

Reviewed 17 September 2012

My wife along with a couple of our business clients stayed at your hotel for a single night on 26/08/12 as we were attending a concert in the Northern Meeting Park. When we returned from the concert at 21:30 we went to the hotel bar with our residential clients along with some other clients who were staying in an adjacent hotel and socialised with them and other guests.

About 22:00 we couldn’t help but notice that the staff were beginning to clear up the seating and bar area which we thought very odd? At around 10:30 it became clear that they were preparing to close the bar and we were told to drink up and if we wanted to continue drinking that we had to go to the residents lounge and the night porter would take care of us?

I enquired as to why on a Sunday evening with so many guests and members of the public in the bar would they wanted to close so early, to which we were informed that, “we had run out of some brands of stock the previous evening and were now were running very low on other brands”. The staff appeared to be uncertain what to do and there was no duty manager present to handle the situation and address the clientele correctly.

I must say that I am shocked that a hotel of this size could not plan for such a busy weekend in the knowledge that their trade would increase so dramatically and have purchased sufficient stock to see them through the weekend. If you ran out of stock on the Saturday evening why was this stock not replenished on the Sunday morning?

The fact that we were not properly informed by the duty manager that there was a problem and just told to drink up is absolutely shocking and not acceptable especially as we were entertaining clients resulting in the embarrassing situation of us having to apologise to our clients who were not staying in the hotel and them having to leave.

Under protest we retired to the residents lounge and met the night porter who was a lovely gentleman and had just come into work and was totally unaware of what the situation was and was totally unprepared to handle it.

A question does come to mind and that is if the main bar had run out of stock where was the night porter going to get his stock?

As a business man I am very disappointed with the whole experience of staying in your hotel and was totally embarrassed in front of our clients which I find unacceptable!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
OHIML, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I am extremely disappointed that we failed to deliver our products and services to you over this weekend. Please see a response emailed to you on the 18th September following a letter sent into our Managing Directors which I hope you received. I always ensure that we respond to our guests feedback.

Mr Black I cannot apologise enough and can reassure you that immediate measures have already been put into place following your letter and email.

Kind regards

Reviewed 16 September 2012

Its one notch above a wetherspoos but double the price. Micro chips that are like potato croquettes, bagged salad that consists of lettuce and pickled gherkins, no offer of any sauces, frozen Birdseye style burger on a soggy bun - staff wondering around like headless chickens - no sign of a manager. Eat here as a last resort - better off going to KFC

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank scottishperspective
OHIML, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please accept my sincere apologies that you did not enjoy your experience of our Bistro. We receive a lot of positive feedback regarding our Bistro and in particular the food, many good comments regarding our gourmet chips. I will discuss your feedback with our Head Chef & our Food/Beverage Team as I know they will be disappointed to hear your comments. There can be no excuses for poor hospitality and lack of a presence of a Duty Manager and I will be addressing with the team immediately.

This is not our usual high standards of service and food, and I am sorry for your disappointing experience. It is always difficult to go back and rectify after the event and I do hope that you will return to the Columba to experience our good levels of service and product.

With kindest regards

Reviewed 14 September 2012

We were booked here by our tour operator. The Tripadvisor reviews reduced my expectations. We had a room overlooking the River Ness and that seemed to justify the tariff. The room was of adequate size, flat-screen tv was tiniest of our two week UK experience. All was in need of refurbishment. I think our room was 306. Staff was hard-working and pleasant. Location in downtown area is a definite plus. If we didn't have a river view, this would be a much less favorable review.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for completing a review on us as the feedback from our guests is paramount in operating and improving our business. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay enjoying the amazing views of Inverness Castle and the River Ness. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the team and they will be delighted to hear them.

I hope you had a safe trip home.

With best regards,

Reviewed 6 September 2012

Requested quiet room allocated room over very large extractor fans, when I phoned reception no problem for them as they apparently belonged to hotel next door. Paid £25 extra to move to an executive and quieter room later at night found not to be so. Bed, bedding and furnishings definitely in need of replacement. Paint peeling and dirty, cracks on ceiling and dirty wallpaper shabby and in no way chic. Strange restaurant as advised probably not for anyone on B&B only as £20 for 3 courses or £20 per course staff unable to fully explain strange pricing. Eat in Bistro bar to anyone else requested game terrine served what can only be described as shop bought pate there is a vast difference between the two. Only redeeming point could be location and nothing else as even on arrival room not available until 3pm although clearly not for a good clean and parking vouchers mentioned on hotel letter in room never mentioned by staff at reception. Have stayed in Nairn with same group never had these issues, very disapointed

Room Tip: Is there a good room available!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
OHIML, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Dear Guest, Thank you for your constructive feedback. I am sorry if you did not find our product and services to your expectations and your constructive feedback will be used to ensure we are continually improving on all aspects of our hotel. I do hope you will visit us again to see what improvement we have made.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

Took pot luck on this hotel and was very pleasantly surprised. The bedrooms are a little tired (excuse the pun - not intended). but the bed was very comfortable, the water hot and plentiful. Breakfast was lovely. The staff very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for better pillows the ones we had were very soft.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
OHIML, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2012

Dear Guest, Thank you for your review on us. I was so pleased to read that your stay was enjoyable and your kind words will be shared with our team. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Columba in the near future. With kindest regards, General Manager

Reviewed 3 September 2012

We had booked the Columba for 24th & 25th of August for a night out with our friends on the Friday night, then all go to the Runrig concert with them on the Saturday. Having booked about 9 months in advance we thought we would get a good room - how wrong!! Half the lights not working, it was a small double, just enough room to walk round the bed - for £139 per night... Anyway, into the bathroom - small, toilet roll holder loose and only a few squares left on the roll. Could do with a good reburb (that goes for the whole hotel!). In the bar on Friday night one of the ladies told us that there was only one cubicle servicable in the bar ladies toilet and it was untidy. She checked the next morning and despite her complaints nothing had been done to them, she went and complained again. Saturday lunch and the chef closed the kitchen as they were "Too busy"...what did they expect during that weekend.
After the gig on Saturday night we returned to the hotel to find a "manager?" asking if we were residents but people he obviously knew just walked in, this was about 10.30ish. Great band playing in the bar, so lets have a drink.....I went to the bar and asked...we have no whisky, no vodka, no brandy and no bacardi, oh and no crisps. I went to the reception and asked the manager loudly why they had run out of the spirits. He asked me to stop shouting, lol, to which I replied If I had you would have heard me... A few of us asked why he could not just go and get some locally, he said he could not.... So off to bed...and up on the Sunday morning...breakfast was a liesurely affair, mostly from the kitchen as everything was so slow to come thru. The food was fine at all meals. There were other little niggles which have been mentioned previously.

At no time did we or any of our friends receive an apology for the disastrous weekend - all we got was excuses. Time for a change of management as it is his/her responsibility to make sure the hotel is up to standard and the staff.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
OHIML, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Dear Guest, thank you for your review. I am sorry that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay with us. We were extremely busy that weekend and I am sorry if we allowed our usual high standards to falter. We have made some departmental changes since your stay and I do hope that you will return to see what improvement we have made. Thank you for your most valuable feedback and I sincerely hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon. With kindest regards, General Manager