“A rabbit warren in Inverness”

Columba Hotel, Inverness
Ranked #29 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Hayward, California
“A rabbit warren in Inverness”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

As part of a package tour, this hotel was a real disappointment. the floor plan is so convoluted and it would take a week to get it all in memory. third floor rooms look straight out of the 1950s and our room had a view of a filthy alley. Fixtures need updating, water pressure is low and you had to run the water for several minutes to get any hot. Bed must have been made in the 1930s- squeaky and more squeaky if you moved at all.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your thoughts following a stay with us recently. I was pleased you enjoyed our service and will pass on your ratings to our team. I am sorry if you had difficulty finding your way around the hotel, we do have signage in all areas to direct guests. I am also sorry if you did not enjoy all aspects of your room and view, we have many different types of rooms and views and I do hope you raised this at the time as I am sure my team would of done their utmost to offer you a different choice. Thank you again for your valuable feedback and I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. With best regards, Amy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Room was part of a tour package and I will be contacting C.I.E. as soon as I return home. While some of the group were satisfied with renovated rooms, ours on the third floor was not and at best was unacceptable. It was small, noisy, cramped, and extremely dated. The wall and ceiling paint was cracked and peeling. The bathroom was not particularly clean, and had no towel bar or any place to put toiletries. There was no room for two suitcases to be accessed without placing them on the desk top. There was no light bulb in the fixture near the only chair that could be used to sit and read. The room was heated by two wall hung units that were noisy and made for disturbed sleep. There is more but why bother. I can't wait for the AM to move on. Could never recommend this place "as is" to anyone. Too bad, because the location is quite nice.

Room Tip: Try another place of lodging - period.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your thoughts following a one night stay with us. I was very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay with us and that you found the room not to your liking. I do hope you gave us the opportunity to try and re-alloacte your room as my team would of done their utmost to offer you a more suitable room, as we do have many different room types, with a more modern style. I do hope you enjoyed the rest fo your trip around the UK and hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back again. With best regards, Amy
Cullen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel, oh my god if ever a hotel was in need of refurbishment its this one. Rooms on third floor are grubby, filthy wallpaper, paper coming away from roofs, hole in wall, filthy windows, also tiles in shower in need of fresh grout and beds creak and are lumpy. How this hotel is classed as 4 star is beyond me, i would rate it as a1. The breakfasts were ok not very hot, but meals in the bar area were really good, would recommend eating in there. Would only return to this hotel for meal but definitely would not stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review. Once again, I am sorry that we did not meet all your expectations with your room. As you know we have already been in contact with you and after speaking with my team on sunday, offering you an alternative room, to which you declined, all I can do is offer my apologies again and I hope you do return to us, as I know we can be remembered for the right reasons.
With best wishes, Amy
Dingwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This used to be a good place for an evening meal and a bit of entertainment. My wife and I had a pre theatre supper which was just about ok however the plates of food looked thrown together and were not exactly warm.

The biggest problem was that the gents toilets were filthy (630pm) and had obviously not been cleaned for hours. Every single urinal was overflowing - absolutely disgusting. I reported this to the reception desk immediately but by the time we left nothing had been done. Apart from anything else this is a serious breach of health and safety. (And management cannot blame the hotel being busy as it wasn't).

I'm ashamed to be associated with Inverness if this is the level of welcome we offer guests from outside the area.

I shall not return to the Columba.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your comment regarding a visit to the hotel. I am sorry that we had an issue with our gents toilets on the ground floor. We did have an issue with 3 urinals and as a result had to block them off as the problem could not be solved on this evening. We do have two cubicals in this area, for guests to use and toilets lcoated on our first floor. I am sorry if this blemished your visit with us and would hope that you would understand that problems do happen and whilst we do try to resolve any maintenace issues as soon as possible, sometimes this can not always be the case. I would hope this would not deter you from visiting with us again and I hope I we have the chance to welcome you back.
Best regards, Amy.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Could only stay one night this time round as we were just stopping over to see family.
Another good stay. We had one of the newer rooms at the back of the hotel this time - the bathroom looked new.
Good staff and breakfast and hotel looked after our luggage whilst we nipped to the shops.
Will be back soon, December hopefully.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest, Welcome back and what a lovely review. I am delighted that you enjoyed another good stay and will share your very kind words will all my team. I look forward to welcoming you back at the end of the year. With warm regards, Amy
Whitwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stayed here for one night as there was a problem with my booking at the next door Best Western hotel.

I would normally have rated the hotel as four out of five, however I was paying a premium to stay in this area due to a local conference, and would have expected friendlier reception and staff in general as well as being a little more helpful considering the situation.

(I don't know what was going on in the area as I overheard at least four other people in similar situations where they had booked into one hotel and then been moved here instead.)

As far as the amenities at the hotel itself are concerned, the room I had overlooked the river at the castle, unfortunately it was a little wasted on me due to the times I was in the room I was working.

Room was very large with an extremely comfortable bed. Bathroom was a good size as well, but an odd mix of modern(ish) and antique fittings. Shower was a bit cramped.

All in all, a decent hotel, a little dated perhaps but that is to be expected from this type of hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your comments following a recent stay with us. I am pleased that overall your enjoyed your stay and that you were able to have one of our rooms overlooking the river and the castle. I do hope that if you are staying in Inverness again, that you will book with us and it would a great pleasure to welcome you back again. With warm regards, Amy
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 14 September 2013

My mom and I stayed here while on Insight Vacation's Britain and Ireland Discovery 26-day tour. The location is the best thing about this hotel. The beds were very old and hard with broken springs. They were very noisy with any movement you made while sleeping. The wallpaper and carpeting was old and dirty. The breakfast was just okay. Excellent view of Inverness Castle though!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest, Thank you for your thoughts following a one night stay with us recently. I am pleased that you enjoyed some aspects of the hotel but was sorry that your found the bed not to your liking. We are are old hotel, we date back to the 1800s but we do have some more modern rooms if this is more to your liking. Thank you again for your feedback, as we all feedback we monitor this and make changes where necessary. I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip around the UK. Best regards, Amy