“Lovely hotel, relaxing stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Columba Hotel, Inverness

Columba Hotel, Inverness
Ranked #27 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, relaxing stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights over Christmas and had a lovely time. We had a river view room which is definately worth paying the extra for as the view itself was stunning. I was delighted to find a proper hair dryer in the room which was every bit as good as my one at home! I can't be doing with those hand held hose things! Location is excellent as you are just across the bridge from the city center so a minutes walk and you have all the shops, bars and resturants you need. Handy for our last minute shopping! Despite it being a city center hotel we were never bothered by any traffic noise etc as the street the hotel is on is a one way, very quiet street. The staff we saw were welcoming and friendly, always ready to chat with us and make us feel at home despite it being a busy time for them. We really liked the Scottish feel to the hotel, with it's traditional but modern decor in the public areas, the big sweeping staircase leading upstairs and Macnabs Bar which we enjoyed a few drinks in. I definately think Macnabs Bar could do with a cosy fire of some sort in it as it was a little draughty at times, I would have sat all day on the leather sofa with a good book, drink in hand had it been a wee bit warmer in there as it's a really lovely bar. We both really enjoyed our stay and would happily go back again.

Room Tip: Highly recommend a river view room. With stunning views along the River Ness, the twinkling lights o...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for a lovely review following your festive stay with us. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay and your kind words will be shared with all my team. I do hope we have the chance to welcome you back soon. With warm regards, Amy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

I had a pleasant stay here. The room
was good considering the price paid of £45. The room was clean although the fittings were quite old. Good central location. Didn't eat in the hotel so can't comment on the food. All in , I would stay here again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I was delighted that you enjoyed your time and your kind words will be shared with my team, I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back son. With warm regards, Amy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

The room was a little dusty, but not as bad as some of the reviews here.
The bar is nice, has a few drinks and I had a good night sleep.
The rest of the hotel and my room was a little dated, and needed an upheaval.
The breakfast in the morning was poor, I had some pancakes that weren't fully cooked.

I don't know how much my room cost, but it would have to be sub £40 for it to be acceptable

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank MacD26
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review following a stay with us in October 2013. I was pleased that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay and your valuable feedback will be used to ensure we continually improve on all aspecs of our products and services. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back soon, With kindest regards, Amy
Perth Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

If hotels were colour coded this one would definitely be beige, beige décor, beige food, beige staff. Some of the décor and floor coverings were very old indeed and well past their sell by date. If this is typical of the hotel group they won't be seeing me in anyo f their establishments. A total lack of enthusiasm throughout the establishment, some training in selling the product definitely needed. Four stars? In their dreams.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank John G
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post a review following a stay in December. I was sorry to read that we did not tick all the boxes for you, I do hope you spoke to us at the time to try and solve anything we could for you. With best regards, Amy

Travellers are raving about these Inverness hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

Visited this hotel nearly 6 years ago and was looking forward to a return visit. It was previously rated 3 star, but is now 4 star, which it certainly is not. On the plus side, it is a comfortable place to be with a nice lounge downstairs, and the staff were very nice. On the down side, our room was only serviced once in our 3 night stay, the food was never hot, cutlery missing, and the waitresseswore their own black clothing, ie jeans/joggers with trainers - not a good look, and have never seen this code of dress in a hotel before. Ate out on the last evening, even though we were DBB, and have never felt the need to do this before. Would go back on a room only basis.

Room Tip: Ask for river view, as the rooms at the back look onto roof tops
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review following a recent stay with us. I was pleased that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay and the team looked after you. However I was very shocked by some of your comments. If you could contact me direct so I can gain some more information, as our dress code is certainly not how you have described and there can ne no excuses if we have missed some housekeeping details. I am very sorry if you found this to be the case. I look forward to hearing from you. With best regards, Amy.
Kirkwall, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

Just back from a 3 night stay in the Columba Hotel and I must say it was very nice.
No doubt the building is old and the loose floorboards creak in the corridors, but does this matter that much? well not to me anyway.
We were in room 153, which was a good size, warm, clean and with a comfy bed.
Stayed B&B and the buffet breakfast had a good choice of good quality food.
There are just a couple of minor points I will mention, which is the reason I have not rated the hotel higher than average.
The tea cups in our room were not changed when the room was cleaned, so we had to wash them ourselves.
The buffet breakfast is not attended that well, so depending when you eat, it can be a bit dried up.
These are very minor points, but as the hotel boasts 4 stars, I believe it is things that could easily be addressed.
However, this would not put me off from staying again. For the price paid, it was value for money and I would book again without hesitation.

1 Thank Rangers9
Dear Guest, Many thanks for your review following a recent stay with us. I was delighted that overall you had a good stay with us and take on board your comments to ensure we can improve on our services and products. I do hope that we have the pleasure to welcome you back soon. With best regards, Amy
Huntly, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

Booked this hotel with Travel Rerpublic at the last minute. Arrived at hotel to find there is absolutely no parking at all. The front and bar area are very pleasant and welcoming. Booking in was not without problems as we had booked two rooms and they had us down as one room. Although they did find us a room. Spent a nice few hours in bar area on a saturday afternoon watching sky sports. Men were delighted. Bar staff friendly and attentive.

Now breakfast is a diferent story. Staff were very abrupt and unfriendly. We had breakfast late and there was not much left to eat. Not the best choice of foods either.

The worst paart was when we booked out. When I insisted we had paid when booking they said we hadn't and made us pay again. When I received my bank statement we had indeed paid twice. At this point I am still waiting for a refund. So always stand your ground.

This hotel is in a very good place for town centre and sits just below the castle on the river ness. I would not stay at this hotel again as there are plenty more to choose from in this area and be hassle free.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review following a stay with in October. I was sorry to read that you thought we had parking, we do not advertise this but do have ample free parking surrounding the hotel and a car park 200 yeards away which charges £2 for 24 hours. I was pleased that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay and have noted your comments on Breakfast. I was sorry if there was an issue with your account and rest assured your feedback will be used to enusre we can improve on our services and products. With best regards, Amy